1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Managed to sneak in a relatively short ride today. Haven't been able to ride, as I've been helping my wife recover from some shoulder/bicep surgery. Got to remind myself how much I love this time of year in the area I live in and also rekindled some appreciation for it as well.
    B3523DF6-0DC3-4F0E-8CB0-ACFC1D279DE4_1_105_c.jpeg FEC5C68C-2AC9-4E7B-A2C9-B57B7D7C96E3_1_105_c.jpeg 77DD3531-A61F-4639-8AF0-62D4D373DB6F_1_105_c.jpeg 771931AB-2EFE-4A4C-AE94-9CC535EC6A56_1_105_c.jpeg CCBFF2EF-ABF4-4A58-9B0B-0EBB1623638E_1_105_c.jpeg
  2. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it would basically be a 90s Dakar/Rally Raid bike then. Which has me thinking how it would compare to the xtz850 (Yamaha's 90s Dakar entry) which was 180kg dry. The XTZ850 did have 300mm of suspension travel though, so that would need to be amended on the T700

It is interesting seeing all the videos of people tackling single track. The riders and bike seem to do exceptionally well considering the weight and bulk, despite Yamaha intending it to be an Adventure bike, which in my mind the off road portion covers terrain more similar to that which you'd expect to find in a rally raid, pretty much like the Dakar. Vast open spaces, sand rocks, gravel and average speeds of 90-130kh. That's the type of riding I prefer, and would want to set the bike up for. In fact not too dissimilar from touring South America, especially up on the Altiplano.
    DavidM1 and tonyubsdell like this.
  3. tonyubsdell

tonyubsdell Ténéré Supporter

Oddometer:
    c-m, i hear what you are saying.
    i happen to share your liking and attitude concerning touring: vast open spaces, sand, rocks, "the far away horizon is the limit".
    that's why i set up my current T7 the way it is.
    winter is nearing and another T7 is in my stable to await the framework of a 450 wrf to suit those 300 mm travel.
    will keep you posted.
    cheers,
    wolf
    RPM25, TimmyTheHog, Bike Guy and 7 others like this.
  4. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure “stable” is the most accurate term for your bike collection:ricky
    It is second only to Barber:clap
    I would like to see a video . . . hard to picture:-)
    0E1902B7-3F2F-45FE-A36D-F56C03A94700.jpeg
    72EB6B3C-37A2-42CF-97A3-2598C4288F83.jpeg
    Olleg, ACR, soulbazz and 11 others like this.
  5. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw my first T7 in the wild yesterday (I'm still waiting on mine).

Parked at a hotel in town. I stopped to look at it as the owner was coming out to leave and we had a nice chat. He offered me a ride, which I've been trying to get, but I couldn't reasonably accept that while I was working. Dammit.

Jim from Walnut Creek. Bought it at Berkeley Honda. Black with blue wheels. Was on his way back home after completing the Idaho BDR on it. Bike was totally stock and he was super pleased with 3k on it so far.

I don't think he's on ADV but I figured some guys might know him... seems to be a few guys from the bay area and a few who bought from Berkeley Honda. Anyway, he was a good ambassador for the machine. I was impressed with it in person and it's made me more excited / impatient for mine!
    Offcamber likes this.
  6. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, lets have a 45-60min long video tour. :)

I saw a video recently of guy collecting the street versions of Dakar bikes from the 80s and 90s. I'm pretty sure tonyubsdell would be more interesting with more exotic material. Something to do maybe the next time there is a lockdown? ;)
    tonyubsdell and Chazzz like this.
  7. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Yes the waiting game....I wonder if anymore will be delivered this year :(
  8. Kshaw

Kshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dealer said he’s getting 3 in late October and he phones the North American Yamaha rep weekly and so far it’s a go. I literally already bought parts and I’m dedicated to wait regardless of time. Besides some stuff I want is back ordered like the outback mototek stuff.

Literally going from the dealer to my suspension guy to install the rally raid shock and fork upgrades.
    Offcamber likes this.
  9. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kinda same here....waiting to hear from the dealer about an October delivery....I also have a pile of parts ready to go.....

Update: Just got off the phone with the dealer. He got one in that was spoken for and is still on track for getting a blue one by the end of the month....fingers crossed.
    rideforzen likes this.
  10. captain jc

captain jc Earthrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Berkeley Honda recieved (11) T7's from the first pre-order batch, they have (5) more coming late October all with deposits on them. I was lucky enough to nab the last one. Looks like it will be a 12 month riding season this year.:lol3:lol3
  11. BLZ2DWL

BLZ2DWL Roustabout Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just put a deposit down with a small dealer who says he ordered 9 in May and "can see that one will be fulfilled in the 2nd half of October. A black one." Hopefully that's real.
  12. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    May orders should have been pre-sold PDP orders. Dealer stocking orders took place in July:

Attached Files:

13. BLZ2DWL

BLZ2DWL Roustabout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe he misremembered. Maybe it will never arrive. Only time will tell. Fingers' crossed.
    mcmann likes this.
  14. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone want a pair of lowering links? The buyer of my bike didn't want them. $60 and they're yours.
    Offcamber and BLZ2DWL like this.
  15. ktmcrush

ktmcrush Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  16. Benduro

Benduro These are my dress clothes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you used them yet?
  17. tonyubsdell

tonyubsdell Ténéré Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not much of an interesting story. (Although i could invent one...)
    As a kid i liked „20.000 leagues under the sea“ and other novels by jules verne.
    i admire and respect all people who risked their lives contributing to the development of (deep and scuba) diving as the deep blue drives a big fascination onto me.
    This is a russian type of diving suit i „organized“ through an ex russian soldier who left berlin shortly after the wall collapsed with gorbatschow‘s help in late 1989.
    For not being totally off topic here a pic or two. 350EF96F-B62F-49E2-B327-1556CA408A81.jpeg E6AF9428-BC07-4852-ADCB-4A7C309FD9B0.jpeg 5BDB8033-2A56-4708-BCFE-035E280A4B77.jpeg

stay you guys safe, cheers
    Wolf
  18. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Not yet. So far, I've attached anything I've had to carry with bungee cords.
    Benduro likes this.
  19. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    I wish I'd seen this a few days ago. I paid full price for a pair and now I'm not sure I will install them. Good idea to have them on hand for the far in the future day I want to sell the bike.
  20. Belgradian

Belgradian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a great exhaust setup on the tan Tenere, please tell me more. Thanks!
    Chazzz likes this.