Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I lived in Ohio I went to that area a lot, at least once a year (coincidentally also on a FZ1). 129 was always a freak show of stuntaz and shitty drivers who think they aren't shitty drivers because they have a loud muffler on their shitbox base Subaru; but it was sort of the kind of thing you had to do at least once if you were in the area. I've ridden it dozens of times, figure once or twice per trip and a trip a year for 15+ years. And you are correct, there are way better roads... in fact, once I became more interested in dual sporting than street riding, I realized how good that area really was. Lots of hidden gems there if you have a dirt capable bike...
  2. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    In ‘95 I read an article in my AMA magazine about Deals Gap and “The Dragon”
    About a week later I was riding east to ride The Dragon and of course I bought a T shirt. I only stayed a few hours talking to riders and took pictures of the “Tree Of Shame” I then slabbed it back to Santa Cruz
    Benduro likes this.
  3. Benduro

Benduro Motorodeo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yikes.

I just rode my 990smt to ABQ to sell to Uncle Pollo. Hit 25, Coalinga Creek rd, Straight across to 198 to Yokohl to go south on Yokohl dr to M-296 to 190 to mtn hwy 99 to Kernville.

And that was just the first day!

You didn't need to go out there!
    Bike Guy likes this.
  4. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    I'm about a short days ride from "The Dragon". Yeah, do it once so you can say you did it, but pretty much every road in the Appalachian range is better. North GA, Western NC, Eastern TN, W. VA, the western end of VA. It's all fabulous riding.
    concours, norton73, MVI and 3 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    The Dragon is not a destination. Was near there once at a ADV Rally. We headed over. Great road - not a race track. Leaving before 11am we saw groups of 10 riders on sportbikes in full leathers headed towards The Dragon. Fail waiting to happen.
    Benduro, norton73 and MVI like this.
  6. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

I've been telling people this for years. Got talked into riding it again last year and was reminded why.
    worncog and Benduro like this.
  7. ktmcrush

ktmcrush Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Watching some race boats on Saybrook rd in Higganum, CT near along the CT river.

upload_2020-10-18_13-18-7.png
  8. ktmcrush

Oddometer:
  9. ktmcrush

Oddometer:
  10. ktmcrush

Oddometer:
    Checking out a field...
    Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 1.39.06 PM.png
    Ginger Beard, MVI and Benduro like this.
  11. ktmcrush

Oddometer:
    Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 1.45.18 PM.png

Attached Files:

Benduro likes this.
  12. ktmcrush

Oddometer:
  13. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    mcmann and norton73 like this.
  14. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. treps

treps n00b

Oddometer:
  16. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    I had to look up Bartubeless. I've used Nuetech Tubliss for many years. Is this Bartubeless setup using standard motorcycle rims? I was thinking they would be a tubeless specific rim design of some kind, but the vids I looked at didn't mention it. I saw what appeared to be normal Excel rims with a neat spoke valley sealing system. Unless the rims are some kind of tubeless tire rim lip design, is this much different than Tubliss or the homemade setups I've seen? A youtube guy named "Jake the Garden Snake" did a homemade tubeless on some spoked wheels for his FZ-07 by creatively sealing the spoke valley. Only problems I see with that or anything else that doesn't pinch the tire bead is quick deflation and tire/rim separation. Tubeless rims work to limit that as well as the Tubliss system with the high pressure inner bladder and a rim lock.

Not bashing Bartubeless, just would like to know more about it.
  17. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Did you raise the forks? I raised the forks and put in Yamaha's lowering link and for my use the bike handles better besides giving me a bit of extra leg length.

Two situations bothered me. One when I coast backwards out of my bike storage barn and the ground breaks from a down ramp to flat. If you stop at the transition, the reach is high. Second was T intersections that meet a steep road. Because sight distance is poor and downhill traffic is moving fast, you have to creep forward onto a steep cross slope. The lower leg reach is long.

I mentioned the possibility of lowering the bike to a fellow rider who warned that his experience years ago with an ATK resulted in a bike that didn't handle well. I relate this because my experience with lowering the T7 does not bear out his warning and I actually like it better lowered. The bike seems less prone to washing out the front tire on the deep stones of my driveway, for one thing; acts better on tightly curved paved roads for another. And it eliminates some danger.
  18. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:

Yes I raised my forks and I really like the way the bike handles . I have 5000 kms and the suspension has broke in. It's stable on road and off .Possibly the best money I ever spent on a bike . :ricky
    Snowbird likes this.
  19. Milekone

Milekone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did anyone experience some serious tailbone/back pain after riding T7 for several hours? I did a little over 600 miles in 2 days, some of it off road at a high pace off road and my tailbone is feeling it... new seat and suspension on order, hopefully that will remedy the issue.
  20. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Nope. i bought mine in Albq, rode it around CO for a week, then rode it home to Nashville. I was surprised how comfy it was. i do mix in a bit of standing though.
    Ginger Beard and Benduro like this.