Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Nope. i bought mine in Albq, rode it around CO for a week, then rode it home to Nashville. I was surprised how comfy it was. i do mix in a bit of standing though.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  2. rhicks

rhicks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This might sound silly but I *will* get mine on the Natchez Trace and hopefully the entire length. It's a goal. I simple goal but need to get my butt out of Colorado first.
    Benduro and ride2little like this.
  3. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Ping me when you do. I live just off of it.
    rhicks and Benduro like this.
  4. Kshaw

Kshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Need some opinions y’all. What bike should I buy. Tenere 700 I have a deposit on, or a 2021 500 excf. The ktm is $950 more out the door.

Money wise ktm is cheaper because the Tenere needs a lot more mods, for me anyway. I would upgrade pegs, suspension, hand guards etc on both. But the Tenere needs extras like more expensive bash plate, frame rail/guards, rear racks, which pretty much makes both bikes even at the end.

My riding is pretty much fooling around town. Decent dirt is 1.5 hours away, better dirt is 2 hours away. Both are intermediate, much more than dirt roads. I also like to do a couple hour day rides.

Thoughts?
  5. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Wellllll.... you are on a T7 thread, so I'm guessing you're going to have some bias.
  6. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Apples and oranges
    Adventure bike vs dirt bike.
    Two awesome bikes . . . whatever trips your trigger:-)

Attached Files:

7. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:

If you're debating between those two bikes then I don't think you really know what you want in a motorcycle. Those motorcycles are very different animals.
  8. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get both.

If you are primarily riding dirt/Jeep/ trails (sometimes called ‘offroad’) the EXC will deliver, and can do some pavement too. Actually fun on the pavement (back roads, mountain roads, etc) with dual-sport tires, as long as not interstate.

If you are primarily riding pavement - T7. Especially for trips including interstate. If you are just cruising around town, or 2-up - T7.

If you have a vehicle that can transport (pickup/trailer hitch) that is a big plus for the EXC. The EXC will require mods if you plan on long rides (tank, etc, see RTW Paul’s build). Also you can save $$$ picking up a used low hours EXC/FEs.

I have held off an an upgrade (790 or T7) - I have a 450 berg and 950 SE. On fast easy gravel they are ‘tied’ as long as not driving like a squid :p3rry(SE wins, pretty quick getting up and over 70, but always worried about hitting a deer or an F250 around the corner).

Then of course there is always the 701/690 option. . . :dirtdog

9. Kshaw

Kshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do plan to pickup the bikes to places regardless if I get the T7 or 500exc. I also do want both bikes someday. Or if I get the 500exc maybe a more road type bike than the T7 as a secondary.

Im also not that skilled a rider, previous bikes being a wr250r and a ninja 650. Maybe 5 years experience.

The thing in my head though is telling me to get the T7 first as a only bike in the beginning because it’s so versatile. However I think I might be happier with a 500exc and then getting like an Fz-09 or something for around town and twisters close by.
    kvango likes this.
  10. SaAdvRider99

SaAdvRider99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    My thought is that only you can make your own decisions. Personally, I have never asked others to help make up my mind. I can read a menu and choose what to eat, decide which health care decisions are right for me, who to get involved with romantically, and which motorcycle to choose. Never farm out choices. HTH
    Ginger Beard and russell44 like this.
  12. Kshaw

Kshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those pannier racks are absolutely amazing. Closer in, like 8” more forward, and few inches lower than outback mototek. Those panniers look almost like a reckless bag.

Also thoroughly enjoyed the video comparing bash plates and other equipment.
    Bike Guy likes this.
  13. philratton

philratton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Many riders use both those bikes for the exact same type of riding though.
    If he is going to transport the bike then the KTM would be looking more appealing. Pick up an XSR700 or new Tracer later on.
    kvango likes this.
  15. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ktmcrush likes this.
  16. BLZ2DWL

BLZ2DWL Roustabout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Accepting deposits now!
    ktmcrush and rideforzen like this.
  17. Kshaw

Kshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I ended up buying a 500exc. If I could describe it in 2 words, vibey and scary.

Still have my deposit down on a tenere 700, so maybe I’ll end up with both. Doesn’t help I have an entire rally raid suspension setup sitting in my garage for the tenere.
  18. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good idea . . . Life is short . . . spoil yourself:-)
  19. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Maybe be better with the 350EXC as a play bike?...
  20. Kshaw

Kshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah. Go big or go home lol. I haven’t ridden a bike in about 4 years so it was a little crazy. I’m going to do a lot of low speed practicing in my yard.
    Ginger Beard and Benduro like this.