Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Benduro

Benduro Motorodeo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too, for probably different reasons.

935801_10151434842160826_1008447853_n.jpg
  2. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ouch, salt in the wound, you whippersnapper.:D

Fortunately my attitude is not deteriorating like the rest of me. Vintage Enduro race this weekend... Feel the fear and fall off anyway.
    Benduro and scridercoach like this.
  3. Nerb

Nerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which of you dudes has installed aftermarket (not genuine yamaha) led indicators? Have you got a picture and what brand did you get?
    ktmcrush and Benduro like this.
  4. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took a look at my East Coast bike, and you're right. The sticker does say it's CA compliant.
    krussell and Benduro like this.
  5. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Early 80s are a time I'd really like to forget in many ways. There are a couple bright spots, but...
    Benduro likes this.
  6. Benduro

Oddometer:
    As has already been shown on the T700 facebook groups, the "C" model designation is the Canadian bikes.
  7. Benduro

Oddometer:
    First of many "lights out" concussions. That one, I was probably 4 years old and woke up in the hospital. This was before bike helmets.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. goldentaco

goldentaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No the parts lists separate out the XTZ7M from XTZMC which are both USA bikes. The "C" designates it as a California bike. Look it up on your sales info and the first service invoice you had done ( If the dealer did it) It will say your model identifier is a XTZ7MC( enter your color variant here W=white, GY=Ceramic Ice, B=Black).

[​IMG]

Now here's where it gets stupid. Both XTZ7M and XTZ7MC's are 50 state legal. There is no parts differences, hosing re routing etc that I've found by comparing the two parts diagrams. OTHER Yamaha models also following this naming scheme do have some Evaporative Fuel hosing differences and will show a circled area on the diagram stating "For CAL" but not for the T7. Check the "Fuel Tank" diagram for a 2019 MT07 (MT07KB or MT07KCB). That "For CAL" sections is for a California bike not a Canadian bike. Now look at the XTZ7MC_ vs XTZ7M_ for the same "Fuel Tank" diagram. There is no "For CAL" section and both show the fuel canister and hoses on both models.

Look in the Owners manual. Page 1-2 item #6 This is the Evaporative Emission Hose routing. IF it was specific to a California bike, it would state for California Models. Again for the T7 it does not differentiate this.

This is the manual from my XTZ7MCW purchased in California:
    [​IMG]

And Here's a USA MT07 manual designating the Emission hose routing differences:
    [​IMG]

Add this all together, the T7 is a 50 state legal bike. There are model designations that differentiate the California (XTZ7MC_ )bike from the "rest of the US" bikes (XTZ7M_ ) but there are no inherent mechanical differences in the build.

Read through this thread if you want.
    https://www.tenere700.net/topic/1354-ca-only-model/

It clearly shows with verifications of both US, US Non California and A Canadian bikes what we're talking about.

As was previously mentioned Yamaha's model designations us an "A" for Canada, "U" for Europe, "M" for USA, and "MC" for USA California.

One possibility for why the model designations need to be adhered to despite having no mechanical differences is the California requirement for New motorcycles to be registered in the state, the odometer readings can't be under 7500 mi. So you can't register a New XTZ7M in CA with an odometer reading lower than 7500 miles since there is no way of determining if it was purchased out of state or in state. With the separate CA model designation and confirmation via VIN it can be verified that in fact the bike was or was not purchased New in the or out of the state.

J
    MVI, lithodave, Benduro and 1 other person like this.
  9. ktmcrush

ktmcrush Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving ADVers !

Picture yourself in this picture.

McMann this could be you ! :-)

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 3.52.39 PM.png

tonyubsdell, mcmann and TimmyTheHog like this.
  10. Hijack

Hijack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I am also looking at their product.
  11. Hijack

Hijack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed an AXP skidplate. It covers the water pump and extends far enough back underneath to protect the lower rear shock assembly. I'm very happy with it.
    norton73 and Meet@Trudys like this.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:

Hey guys. Thought you might find this interesting.
    Woodys Wheel Works has purchased a few T7’s to work on and to use for developing new product (namely their Superlight hubs for Superlace wheels as well as full-modified T7’s) Here is a pic of one that has their 17/19” tubeless wheels installed. Thought you guys might like knowing they’re working on T7 hardware.
    If you contact them, tell ‘em I sent ya.

2B2C72EE-6E92-4FE1-B4BE-36C3E6E8C03F.jpeg
  13. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was originally going to get a Woody’s tubeless front 19”.

However, I may need different ABS/Speedo rings for front and rear to “trick” the ECU into thinking it still has the 21” front wheel fitted.

Decided to just get a MT-07 . . . keeping my T7 stock.
    Very impressed with a 50lb lighter 700:-)

I am definitely interested in knowing how it works with the ECU?
    Also, an oversize single front rotor (w/mounting bracket) kit would be nice.

Wolf, what is the weight savings of your single front rotor?
    Tom
    91C22D71-F2E9-4784-8601-5EAB6A66E13B.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I’ve passed on your concern/question and will let you know if I get a definitive reply
    mcmann likes this.
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I also know that one of their T7’s is being built to be lighter and still durable. I forget what Woody said but they’ve already dropped quite a few pounds. TG Witty (Woody) is aware I posted here so perhaps he or someone else from the shop will chime in.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I really don’t follow this thread so was unaware of any prior discussion here of WWW. While I do like the T7, I’m stuck in antiquity with my DR, just returning to the US after 30+ months traveling all over N, Central and South America. His wheels are insanely durable. I do know that. BF3261CD-36DB-40B9-860A-10DDCFED3316.jpeg
  17. tonyubsdell

tonyubsdell Ténéré Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi tom - thanks for asking.
    if i am not mistaken i saved roughly 3,7 kg‘s going single disk. That equals 8,1 lbs in your currency. You can add another 1,5 kg‘s (3,3 lbs) tossing the whole abs due to the abs unit itself and the lot of brake hoses, clamps and cables.
    the original front rotor which is laced to an excel rim has lost its right hand side disk connecting points thanks to an angle grinder/dremel. More for looks than weight saving.
    For my needs i am happy with one disk only as i mainly use this t7 for off road solo riding.
    and my riding style is using brakes only rarely - i am not a racer (any more).
    But even onroad the single brake does its job nicely. being two up with luggage crossing alps i might rethink a single caliper conversion though.
    By the way i have not touched the brake pump, this is still original and i have no reason to replace it with another one with different piston diameter.
    i am also coming from a ktm 950 se and was happy with its single rotor upfront. My hp2 trusts its 200 kg‘s also just one disk on the forks.

cheers for now,
    Wolf

ps: didn‘t a famous us american actor and racer once state:

upload_2020-11-26_7-14-13.jpeg

F0954EB2-4A2F-4C72-800A-CD5A76201306.jpeg D1B719E2-4541-47D2-9636-6156C1420D5E.jpeg 32DDEDF2-E543-4C84-95C2-119056713B29.jpeg
  18. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never had an issue with braking force from a single disc but I do tend to look a long way ahead.

I have had issues and complete failure due to heat on extremely twisty down hill tar seal. First time was The Pass of the Cattle in Scotland, Applecross.

Boiled the fluid..

Even on a twin disc road bike I still consider this in the nadgery.. Once experienced, never forgotten.
    mcmann and tonyubsdell like this.
  19. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Ya I have seen it in person on 2 bikes now and on both of them the skid plate was riding hard on the engine cases and water pump plus the joints looked like someone melted them together with a cigarette lighter and butter knife. I think the R&G or triple clamp covers is a better option for me.
    madrider5150 and tonyubsdell like this.
  20. ktmcrush

ktmcrush Been here awhile

Oddometer: