Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Benduro

Benduro Motorodeo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you taco your front already?

Lol
  2. Benduro

Oddometer:
    How'd you do it?
  3. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    I have a hammer.
    tonyubsdell and Benduro like this.
  4. ktmcrush

ktmcrush Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BUSTED. Chased down by a golf cart trooper. Was the view worth it? Yes, for that one minute :clap What sign?

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.48.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.51.32 PM.png
    powderzone, MVI, Motogasoline and 5 others like this.
  5. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    The most unsafe way I could think of :photog
    I had a pair of old car spring compressors I cut the ends off the parts that go over the springs to shorten them so they just were barely hanging on because there isn’t much room between the the shock body and spring. Getting the old spring off wasn’t bad, but the new spring was where things got sketchy. I had to crank that spring down about 3” and there was so much energy stored up then to get the keeper in and each time I cranked the compressor they wanted to twist and was getting close to slipping off then gettin your fingers in there to put the keeper. I tried to get some local shops to do it but none were too interested just wanted to up sale you on a rebuild, didn’t have a tool or too busy for a $40 five minute job.
    I tried the YouTube way with a floor jack and straps but that was even more unstable. Normally I would buy a tool but for a one time thing I just didn’t want something else to collect dust
    Benduro and scridercoach like this.
  6. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yamaha T 700 73 hp and 205 kg
    Ktm 690 74 hp and appr. 155 kg..

The katie will smoke that Tenere..
  7. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would seem like the Dirt Bike Magazine reviewer would have ridden enough bikes to have his own opinion. I'm sure well see something on u-tube before long. The Kaboom will be in the shop anyways. Lol
    lithodave, Adanac rider and ktmcrush like this.
  8. Nerb

Nerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think they must have meant in a really long drag race.... the 690 will definitely run out of fuel first, then the t7 will wizz right by!
    ktmcrush and BLZ2DWL like this.
  9. Benduro

Oddometer:
    Auto parts stores rent them for cheap.
  10. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:

It's clear that your worried about this, on paper the T7 shouldn't beat the 690 at the one thing it appears to be better at .:linzi
    montesa_vr likes this.
  11. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    I tried that but the claws were just as big as the ones I had and nothing for motorcycle
    Benduro likes this.
  12. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is interesting that the T7 is still being compared to bikes like the 690R, not really the target audience but quite flattering.

Gearing needs to be considered among other things and despite what the specs say, middle weight twins can really get a wriggle on.
    Adanac rider and rideforzen like this.
  13. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    1127202129a.jpg
    Max speed was a giggle wiggle. It's jyst a big dirt bike.
    Benduro likes this.
  14. TheMuffinMan54

TheMuffinMan54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Numbers are one thing, but there’s a difference between how a single puts down it’s power compared to how a twin puts down its power, and it’s not something that necessarily shows up on a dyno. I’ve rode both motors in a few different guises...I had a 2012 690, a 2018 XSR 700, now the Tenere 700, and I work in a Husky shop so I’ve had the opportunity to ride the new-gen 690 motor in the 701 Enduro, Supermoto, and Vitpilen. In terms of outright “seat of the pants” power sensation the Yamaha 700 in 17” wheel form with the XSR easily blew the doors off the rest of them...I rode it back to back with the 701 Vitpilen and it felt way faster. The rest of the comparisons are a bit more subjective as there was a fair bit of time between them but the old long-stroke, 690 motor without ride by wire felt like it pulled a bit harder then my T7 does. With the vibrations and the terrible gearbox it definitely lost the battle though...it was a fast pile but still a pile. Comparing the T7 to the 701 enduro (new motor) is no contest in my mind: the T7 wins in every way. It feels stronger, it shifts better, it sounds better. Something about that new 701 engine puts me off. It doesn’t feel as snappy as the old one, it sounds like crap, it still has the false neutral problem, burns oil like crazy, and the ride by wire makes the throttle feel disconnected. No character whatsoever.

Don’t believe everything you read on the spec sheet.
    ACR, lithodave, Peter1969 and 7 others like this.
  15. goldentaco

goldentaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  16. palada

palada Perma-n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to check codes on these bikes without an OBD2 reader? My previous Yamaha had a button sequence that made the display show a diagnostic mode that would show codes. I don't have a reader or an adapter, so hoping I can look it up w/o tools.

I got a check engine light today and want to find out what it is/determine if it's a real problem or some emissions nonsense. Either way I want to clear the code. TIA.
    Benduro likes this.
  17. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    Quote from Cycle World,
    "We ran the 2019 690 Enduro R on our in-house dyno to find the rear wheel numbers recorded: 59.2 hp at 8,200 rpm and 43.4 pound-feet of torque at 6,800 rpm."
    59 not 74.
    Benduro, montesa_vr and rideforzen like this.
  18. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information.... Regarding the adapter plugs, which one's did you buy? You mentioned for the rear they were too short, is that with or without a tail tidy?
    TIA
  19. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    I don't care either. It's almost as though I'm not ready to race. I am ready for trouble-free riding fun. For the most part, I pick my way along, stopping and looking. A month ago, a guy passed me on a 100cc tiddler on a woods road. I waved.
  20. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer: