Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. zbob

zbob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Small world, I was chatting with Trevor in the parts department about getting something a little more street worthy than my 690. He was the one who told me I should check out this new Yamaha. That was back in October and I ended up finding one a couple days later sitting in a crate in Ft.Collins.
  2. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    The search page appears to show dealers that have bikes, but doesn't indicate if they are pre-sold or if they are available.
  3. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Funny. The dealer I bought mine from, when I put my deposit down, I told the sales guy he should order a few more. Going to be a popular bike. Ordered just mine, 3 more deposits and only mine showed up.
    eakins likes this.
  4. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Well since some of y'all are posting OTD prices or not OTD prices, I'll put this up for your perusal.

Attached Files:

5. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn! Winner.
    norton73 likes this.
  6. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The T7 has been on my radar for a while. I've spent lots of time dialing my XCh and traveled 1000's of miles with zero issues. Longest "trip" being 2 months +. Lot's of BDR's/TCAT...and the like. The ONLY thing that really gets to me over time is the vibes over longer days. While I don't like thought of a heavier bike (and my XCh is heavier than advertised after customization) - the thought of a smoother ride is really appealing (especially at my age). I don't envision much changing in terms of traveling style or routes for a while - but a longer Euro tour is in the cards someday and I'd like something that works for the F roads of Iceland and the motorways of Northern EU.

I'm not totally sold on swapping from my XCh - but I imagine I'll be spending a fair bit of time in this thread!
  7. captain jc

captain jc wahoo Supporter

Oddometer:
    New pipe in a much better location.The stock hanger is way too long and immediately bends and pushes the pipe into the swingarm(you can see the mark in the pic) even in a low speed lay down. I expect to see more folks going for a different muffler as their bikes are ridden off road. Bought my pipe off the fleamarket,it was for a 790 so needed substantial mods but the camel adv solution seems to be a good plug and play 20201213_183811.jpg
    simmons1 and MotoChris521 like this.
  8. readonly24

readonly24 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a xchallenge for 7 years and did a lot of off-road in uk
    I really like my T700, bit heavier ...but twice the motor (despite being only 40cc more)
    More capable too
    rideforzen and gone2seed like this.
  10. mtncrawler

Oddometer:
    :lurk. Care to expand on that? How do they feel in comparison off-road? (Handling, balance, slow speed stuff?). My thoughts are that I'll certainly gain when it comes to on-road touring (thumper vs twin) - but I wonder if I'll notice that difference (given my off road skills....or lack thereof :)). When I had it, I took my 1200GSA where it probably shouldn't have been. I think in terms of wet weight - the T7 runs like 430lbs - and the XCh runs 350lbs ish wet. (320 dry + 2.4G of fuel + I always carry a 1.5G Rotopax).

Do you miss your X?
  11. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Cool application on the muffler. Can you touch a little on what you had to do to get the 790 muffler to fit? That's a pretty clean job.
  12. captain jc

Oddometer:
    Sure, and thanks. I went at it in two sessions, first to figure out how to route the mid-pipe. Initially I wanted to tuck in front of the swingarm but there's not enough room with stock collector/cat. So using the 790 mid pipe I was able to reconfigure it to get it pointing in the right direction. It actually worked out pretty well as I only had to cut and weld the front section and the bungs for the heat shield didn't have to be moved. Next I tackled the stock hanger, first I cut it off just below the rear fender cowl similar to what Camel does then I modified the 790 bracket and bolted it to the stock hanger that I also modified(see pic). Got it all fitted up and tig welded the modded hanger back on the bike. It clears the swingarm by 3/16" static sag and more as the suspension is loaded. We'll see 20201213_170545.jpg 20201213_175026.jpg how it handles a get off ;))
    MGG, TimmyTheHog, readonly24 and 2 others like this.
  13. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    captain jc, that it some impressive work. The thing looks like a factory setup. It looks more tucked in than stock...is it? How's the sound compared to stock?
  14. captain jc

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I own and operate a custom metal fab business so coming at it with a shop full of tools and experience. Pipe is waaay more tucked in and will be good for close in soft bags. 20201214_193330.jpg 20201214_193241.jpg 20201213_183722.jpg
  15. tonyubsdell

tonyubsdell Ténéré Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice work - congrats!

I‘m sure yamaha will come up with something similar - they sooner or later will have to accept that their version regarding muffler position is not the best.
    maybe for the next model upgrade?
    In the 1980‘s their teneres had model upgrades every 2-3 years.

Cheers,
    Wolf
    captain jc likes this.
  16. captain jc

Oddometer:
    Thanks Wolf. I have to say I'm using your bike for inspiration, from all your pics you seem to know your way around the Tenere and adv/rally bikes in general. F9B79C4E-1B04-4F49-A32D-585F5354431F.jpg
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  17. duibhceK

duibhceK duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer:
    I can't comment on the XCh, but I can compare the T7 to my TR650 Terra, which at its core is a XCh 2.0. Between the 2 I prefer the Terra and if I could only keep 1 the balance would tip that way. The TR is (a lot) lighter, has a lower CoG with the underseat tank and the engine is very well-behaved for a thumper. It's definitely easier to handle off-road. That said, the T7 is more comfortable and the engine is still a level up from the BMW-based 650 in the Terra. I'll probably take the T7 on the same trails as I do the Terra, but it will definitely require more concentration and effort. For now I'm keeping both so I don't have to move around the bikes between western and eastern Europe all the time.
  18. readonly24

readonly24 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done!
  19. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I emailed a a few dealers through the Yamaha site that showed they had a bike in stock. Only two got back to me...they had one in stock but its spoken for. Willing to take deposit but I was already like 5th inline. I am sticking with my initial dealer who says he should have one for me in January which is okay since its to cold to ride anyway.
  20. mtncrawler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for those comments. I tend to agree about the TR - although the XCh is probably a little taller (maybe the TR is closer to the XCo in that regard). Interesting you'd lean towards keeping the TR over the T7 if you could only have one. I know these bikes are in slightly different classes. Maybe if I do decide to give the T7 a go - I'd at least hang onto my XCh (as you did your TR) before letting it go. I always thought I'd like to ship one to EU and keep a bike here for future trips.

Nice travel blog BTW, I'll have to dig deeper...