Yamaha T7 With a Pillion?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Freefall49, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Freefall49

Freefall49 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm needing to downsize my very big heavy bike and would like to know how well the T7 handles riding two up with camping gear. I'm 75kg and the Pillion around 60kg. Will the stock suspension accommodate? (No black off road trails will be attempted). Thanks.
  2. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    Few OEM bikes come with suspension that can comfortably support 300 lbs plus gear and the T7 is no exception. The T7 OEM spring is sprung for someone under 150 lbs. If you need to support more, you will need to change the spring. The seat is minimal so passenger comfort will depend on persons derriere. An Airhawk cushion might work. Overall a great bike so don't let changing out the spring and re-working seat deter you. Perhaps another bike to consider; Moto Guzzi V85TT
  3. Freefall49

Freefall49 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm coming off a GS1250 which obviously does everything just fine! However when I'm on my own its just too big for scallywagging around. I cant afford two bikes so the same old call for that do everything bike. I had my mind on either a T7 or 790. If there were no pillion I would probably drop down to a 690.
  4. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We covered 3500 miles around Europe last year on the stock suspension. The total load on the bike was virtually 190Kg. When you do your calculations you need to include your weight in your riding gear obviously plus all your luggage and the weight of all the accessories you have added, rack, pannier frames centre stand etc.
    Stock the front end is kind of OK but you will need a stiffer rear spring, we found a 90 Nm just about managed but you had virtually no preload adjustment left so I run a 95 Nm spring. It work fine two and two up loaded.
  5. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    ^^Looking for the All Rounder Unicorn. There's a lot of this going around as we all race toward lighter, midsized bikes.

I haven't even seen a T7 yet here in Central Florida, but have sat on both the 790 R and S. On paper and Youtube, the T7 seems the most sensible of these (3). Your budget and inseam will help you sort it out. Happy hunting.