1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha T700 Tenere owners thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BDG, Jul 17, 2019.

1. 3TD00900

3TD00900 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Offroad experience in Dalmatia
    oic, Eatmore Mudd and DrHeinrich like this.
  2. gehart

gehart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sorry
    conrado likes this.
  3. philratton

philratton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bike faired pretty well. With no protection whatsoever, only minor scratches to the right plastic.
  4. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    @DrHeinrich If you don't like my posts, you can put me on your ignore list or just don't read my content. Publicly posting your gentle reminder on what I should and should not post is both sanctimonious and pretentious.
    ONYERBIKE and Junglejeff1 like this.
  5. Heipaal

Heipaal Always the hard way

Oddometer:
    He is right though, the fact that you take it as an insult clearly shows what kind of person you are.....
    OneAUout, gpfan, MGG and 10 others like this.
  6. Tobers

Tobers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rally seat collected and fitted. Not ridden yet due to driving rain and high winds, but some initial info for you.

It’s a bit taller and narrower, and made of a grippy sort of material down the sides. Padding doesn’t feel much different. It’s a right bastard to get it latched onto the bike - much pushing and shoving. You have to get the front up a bit while pushing down on the middle and keeping the back up - grrr.

There is a much larger tool storage area built into the underside of the seat - I’d say 4x the volume of the recess built into the standard seat - this is a good thing as it will allow a much more comprehensive toolkit to be kept under there. The standard toolkit that comes with the bike is too small to be kept in place in the Rally seat recess. I’ll try my Kriega tool roll - should be ideal for that.

I removed the little strap that goes across the seat.

More when I’ve had a few hours on it.
    OneAUout, flinders_72, ACR and 5 others like this.
  7. LongTracks

LongTracks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 there was no need to take this personally. Please keep this Thread from becoming a mess like the other one.

Back on track: Has anyone already mounted the Rally seat? I Think It is about 4cm higher than the standard Seat (which is pretty much spot on for me) but I wonder how much higher the rally seat is when compressed?

Edit: :jack @Tobers perfect Timing. How much higher does it feel to you when sitting on it? Also Is it held only by the latch like the passenger seat?
  8. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it’s a shit day so I thought I would go through the tool kit to see what it’s like.
    Yamaha, you should be ashamed, 4 years developing the bike for overland travellers and you don’t give the owner tools to adjust the rear chain, remove either wheel or check all the fasteners.
    Perhaps I have been spoiled by KTM tool kits.
    So my advice to anyone thinking of using the bike as intended is sort your tool kit before you go anywhere.
    Perhaps the optional toolkit for £80 sorts the issue but it’s still poor in my opinion.
  9. motormad

motormad Hasbeen Racer

Oddometer:
    Rally seat fitted. For me it is a big improvement in comfort over the 90 minute max standard two piece one. Also moving from seated to standing is much easier and gives me more leg room. Only downside is i need to raise the bars a little. And it is too expensive! C8591372-6AEC-4624-81D9-CA0E8F7DE56D.jpeg 2601DE8E-B393-45A1-A060-A19F9C671C6D.jpeg
    Jorugburn, Tritwin, Bhart89 and 19 others like this.
  10. Tobers

Tobers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rally Seat

It’s definitely the day for Rally seats then. I just got back from a 120 mile ride on mine. I’d say it’s categorically not a comfort seat. I found it quite firm and with a cheek-spreading contour. It’s likely my arse will get used to it though. It is definitely narrower so easy to stand on the bike - very nice indeed from that perspective, especially as you can stand up to get some circulation back into your buttocks.

The seat is also a bit higher as mentioned earlier. This means I have gone from being able to flat-foot (6’2” 34” inseam) to being on the balls of my feet. The slightly taller stance does feel really good though.

Bar Risers Fitted

I had some Rox Risers hanging about in the garage from an old bike and they fit! But only just - they are quite hard to install and get the bolts tight. But - they make a really good difference. The bars are now at the right height for me standing up so I don’t have to hunch any more. Also, they are much comfier when seated as well, removing a slight tension at the top of my shoulders that caused a niggling pain between my shoulder blades.

Fuel Economy

I had the “empty” indicator flashing after 180 miles. I did another 20 miles on reserve, and then put in 13.1 litres so about another 3 litres still in the tank. Average fuel economy stated by the computer was 61mpg (imperial gallons and miles!). I have no idea why we fill up in litres and measure economy in mpg in this country but hey ho.

General Riding About

The bike is brilliant. I really like it. Still running in, but the T7 rides beautifully. The handling on road seems far better than it should be for a bike with a 21” front wheel and pseudo knobblies. It is really extremely confidence inspiring. The engine is very smooth - it’s probably a bit low-geared, but very tractable and flexible, and plenty fast enough even though I’m keeping the revs relatively under control.

Others have spoken about buffeting but I don’t really have any unless sitting behind another vehicle. The airflow seems fine to me.

I have had the bike refuse to go into gear (or lose track of what gear it is in) just after hard braking to a stop. I think as it is still running in it isn’t too happy with a lot of reverse torque. Easy enough to change down as you brake, but if you have to stop quickly and you’re in 4th for example, once you are stopped the bike won’t change down unless you release the clutch slightly to let some of the tension off. The gear indicator goes blank as well until, with the clutch just giving a bit of forward torque, you can select a lower gear after which it all sorts itself out. I’ve had this before with brand new bikes when running in and it has always gone away after the thing has loosened up a bit.
  11. philratton

philratton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice report! Did some quick math here and computer is saying 61 mpg, which would be 21.5 I'm/L. Using your info of 200 miles and 13 liters it comes to 24.5 I'm/L.
    That's good, almost 400km range.
    The computer seams very conservative.
    Eatmore Mudd and Tobers like this.
  12. jonboy99

jonboy99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had the chance to compare the speedometer reading with actual speed (eg GPS reported speed)?
    My WR250R reads low by around 10%.
  13. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    or just pick up some stuff you already have and put it in a bag. But tool kits should have a minimum or just don't include them.
  14. motormad

motormad Hasbeen Racer

Oddometer:
    This has happened on mine too a few times in the first 500 miles. At first I thought it was the gear lever set a little high or just lazy changes on my part. Hopefully this will disappear after more miles.
  15. MrNemobody

MrNemobody Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn dude, i was waiting for a guy like you to answer me! :D

I see on the picture you mounted some aluminium handguards. And because i'll probably do this mod on the first day i'll have mine, i have to ask: did you remove the weird black plugs (weights i guess) at the end of the handlebar? And if yes, does it change anything when you ride?

For those who doesn't understand my question:
    [​IMG]
    stromsavard likes this.
  16. motormad

motormad Hasbeen Racer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I removed the bar end weights. The motor is very smooth so not noticed any vibration.
    MrNemobody likes this.
  17. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! the rally seat really enhances the overall appearance of the bike. Love it. :thumbup
  18. BDG

BDG Long timer

Oddometer:

My computer says 61.9 mpg. Actually working it out when filling up I’m getting 67.9 mpg so the computer is quite pessimistic
    stromsavard likes this.
  19. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, I asked elsewhere and didn't get a reply. Has anyone tested to see how hard it is to pick the T700 up? I'm not asking to crash it, just wondered if anyone has gently layed it on it's side to see how hard it is to pick it up. For reference I find it easier to pick up a 1200 Tenere than a DR650.
    BaldKnob likes this.
  20. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the only reference i have. Yes, i’d rather a real user testimony...
    Minute 1:53!!