Yamaha T700 Tenere owners thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BDG, Jul 17, 2019.

1. drifter dave

drifter dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought on the SW lower crash bars(imported from UK) based on previous experience with their bars on KLRs which saved my ass a couple of times.

Pluses: Beefy steel that will help protect the sides and rads.
    Minuses: PITA to line up when installing, would be easier the second time. HEAVY (12 pounds total). A bit fugly.

The jury is out. If you watch the Camel ADV youtube channel he is hammering his bike hard with lots of tipovers: no crash bars. If I were to do it again I think I would skip them and if you're in the vancouver area let me know and I'll sell them at cost minus $50 duty charge :)
    Toei likes this.
  2. snowman394

snowman394 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was going to ask the same, almost a clunking noise, coming from dirt bikes I know chain slap when I hear it, but when the link swings drastically as it does it seems to clunk, no it’s not the pipe hitting the swing arm, I can feel it in the pegs. All linkage is tight I’ll have to check the tolerances on the linkage as well.
  3. loneranger650

loneranger650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been reading about after market bash plates extensively since I've placed my deposit. I can't make my mind up about them! I love the colors of the Adventure Spec plates, but the Outback Motortrek plate is the only plate (so far) that protects both the kickstand-off switch and the linkage. And the only other plate that protects one of those two things (the linkage) is the Camel plate, which is also a very nice plate. But it doesn't protect the switch.

THEN, my next problem is which damn crash bar would even work interchangeably with these plates. If I'm being honest, HEED bars look to be the best bars by far due to their makeup and mounting points. But I don't think the HEED Bunker bars I want are compatible with almost any other plate. But still doing my diligence. Would love to hear other people's opinions. And some people also think it might be bad to mount bars to the underside of the headstock area? That's not something I've thought about before.
  4. drifter dave

drifter dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't those Heed bars weigh like 30 pounds? Keep the rideability in mind here.
  5. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    In most EU countries it's €9850, which is $11,134 including all costs/taxes etc. However, you can get better deals as the bike came out last year in Europe.
    toycloser likes this.
  6. loneranger650

loneranger650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was not aware of the HEED bars weight. Good god, that's intense.

On another note, I'm not even sure if I can buy HEED bars; They don't ship to America! Guess it's back to the drawing board..
    MzunguMoto likes this.
  7. unit3890

unit3890 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought the Adventure spec crash bars were relatively affordable at $254 USD? That seems to be one of the cheaper options and they only add 7ish pounds
    Don T and Meet@Trudys like this.
  8. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    AXP bash plate protects the linkage and water pump, don't know about the switch.
    MzunguMoto likes this.
  9. loneranger650

loneranger650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a really fascinating piece of equipment. 8mm, 2.4 KG plate that protects the right engine side, water pump, kickstand switch, and linkage. Made entirely of HDPE Plastic and it costs the same as the Outback MotorTrek skid plate.

That's a new one to me. Interesting.
    MzunguMoto likes this.
  10. MzunguMoto

MzunguMoto rode 15 countries, 180 more to go

Oddometer:
    Why SW-Motech over OEM? I’m choosing between the two at the moment. Alternatively I run nothing for 3-6+ months until I get HEED parts I actually want.
  11. MzunguMoto

Oddometer:
    I’d probably run both sets in the rear, so more expensive than a single rack or guard from another mfg.
  12. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    that mount is more than strong enough and well designed for the fairing it partly supports, but sideways movements from crashes loading crashbars, not for me

you don’t need high crashbars to protect adventure bikes in most crashes, you only have to hold the pastic up off the ground which can mostly be done with low crashbars and handlebars/barkbusters, crashing on very uneven ground like rocks its only going to be luck if any crashbar saves any damage

4CDBC1A4-41FD-431C-80F1-8B7D8C024BE8.jpeg
  13. MzunguMoto

Oddometer:
    I want to run HEED & AXP too. Maybe we can combine forces. We’re both in CA.

HEED: either indirectly import through UK, or wait for COVID vaccine.

AXP: should now have two local distributors in US up and running; would need to check with RM ATV or AXP themselves about HEED compatibility. Bet AXP would know best given T7 has been in Europe a while and AXP is also there.

Anyone else semi local want in?
    goldentaco likes this.
  14. r1d3rg652gs

r1d3rg652gs Tenere700

Oddometer:
    Ok thank you. I am in-between upper touratech and lower outback motortek...but the outback ones I am afraid they may catch anything down there since they go wide...
  15. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
  16. MzunguMoto

Oddometer:
    do you have a link to more details of that crash and the parts impacted / not?
  17. loneranger650

loneranger650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that an AXP plate? I'll take a shot in the dark here and say plastic < metal.
  18. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Educate me, why any crashbars? I can see upper bars to protect the radiator from side impact. The AXP skid plate protects the water pump better than the lower bars I've seen. I don't have a bike on hand yet, hopefully next week:)
  19. drag123

drag123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Axp bash plate will not fit without modification with HEED bars i have them both on my bike IMG_20200704_171338.jpg

Attached Files:

tonyubsdell likes this.
  20. MzunguMoto

Oddometer:
    Ever cracked an engine casing? How about hundreds of miles from home in the middle of a trip?

I did last month and that’s with frame sliders at relatively slow speed in a hail storm. Was on an FZ07 (same motor). The parts are cheap enough. It can be patched in under an hour with JB-Kwick until permanently fixed. It’s just a pain worth avoiding.

So how frequently do you plan to put the casings at risk?