Yamaha T700 Tenere owners thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BDG, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Argentian

Argentian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1861.jpg
    1000 km service tomorrow and then, sadly into the shed for a long winter nap.
    johnwesley, MVI, Snowbird and 6 others like this.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    That's my take. When someone doesn't adjust the suspension properly, they usually jump to the conclusion that it's shit.
    boboneleg, Don T, Peter1969 and 3 others like this.
  3. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm officially in, but haven't ridden it yet. Been calling around the last several business days and got lucky this AM one that got passed on by the dealers waiting list and was available. Right place, right time. Rented a truck and went 330 miles round trip to get it. Stopped on the way home to introduce it to the forest from the back of the truck. First time I've seen the red in person, I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Woohoo!

IMG_2068.jpeg
  4. Nerb

Nerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you get 3 feet of air and land without it bottoming out like in the early adverts?
  5. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    The vast majority of owners will not be getting 3 feet of air. One percenters will always need to change stuff.
    boboneleg and worncog like this.
  6. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Pol Tarre was doing that and more.

concours likes this.
  7. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't see saddlebags, camping gear or any of the other stuff I would be carrying.
  8. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Proper spring rate and preload setting are the two critical steps that are almost always overlooked by the majority. I used to be in the majority until I got tired of dragging hard parts all thru the mountains.
    Barry likes this.
  9. Kshaw

Kshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dumb question. How do you get the genuine Yamaha crash bars? Is there a website or do I have to go through the dealer?
  10. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know RMATV is selling some of the Yamaha bits. Check a few suppliers and report back.
  11. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that a Ford Ranger that the bike is somehow fitting into?
  12. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Well, upgraded suspension isn’t just for fast riders. Old dudes like myself need all the help they can get, meaning an easier and more intuitive suspension that doesn’t beat you up.
    So I would do it anyway at some point.
    Having had several brands and models of lighter dirt bikes I’ve had the suspension improved on nearly every one, including a big 950 Adventure.
    But out of the box it’s good to hear there the T7 is usable.
    On a different note,
    24K valve check...I like that!
  13. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's straight in. I was racing the clock to pick up the bike and stopped to pick up the full size truck I had reserved and they said they made mistake and didn't have any. We measured what they had and the Ranger was best by about a foot. I haven't been in a Ranger in 20 years or so, it was a nice truck.
    Vikingtazz and OklahomaRider like this.
  14. OklahomaRider

OklahomaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20201021_154504.jpg Rode mine home yesterday afternoon from the dealership. 215 miles, feels very sporty on the road, put in just a few miles of dirt road this morning on the way to work. Hopefully I can get a few more on the way home (the loong way home).
  15. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loving all these red ones. The best color IMO.
  16. Nerb

Nerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    His suspension was modified by Erik Augé, ant it was still bottoming out. I wouldnt mind hearing about how many frame cracks it had after.
    Upgrading the suspension is the best mod you can do imo. Bottoming out on any hard hit is dangerous.
  17. twinrider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Per Adv Pulse: All Erik Auge did was add more oil to the forks and the bike was in perfect condition after.

"Javi Echevarría, co-producer of the film, told us that the only thing they did was change the stock tires to Mitas knobbies, while the Tenere’s suspension was prepared by Erik Augé, with more oil in the fork for a stiffer, more stunt-proof ride. During some of the harshest landings you still hear both the front and especially the rear suspension clunk hard on the stops, yet Javi told us that after their week-long shoot the Yamaha 'was totally in perfect condition after seven days of crazy riding to the limit.”'

A lot of people on advrider seem to think the stiffer the suspension is, the better it is. Not true at all. You want it to be supple enough to smoothly soak up the small hits, which are the vast majority, without deflection. Set it up to only absorb super hard hits and you'll be bouncing all over the trail.
  18. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree well at least I like the red ones....at first I prefered the blue but the red has really grown on me.
    Bruincounselor likes this.
  19. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    I purchased a Helpco & Becker center stand, which went on okay except for the springs. The instructions recommended their spring mounting kit. But there was no mention such a thing was needed when I ordered the stand. I did not have a spring spreader. So, how to get the springs on? I used a turnbuckle. The length was critical in it working.
    IMG_20201021_150206.jpg IMG_20201021_144937.jpg IMG_20201021_144105.jpg
    Petmax, norton73 and duibhceK like this.
  20. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    The springs are a PITA on any centerstand (except maybe the SW Motech one, apparently there's a bolt to tension the spring...?). A spring puller is actually a pretty handy tool and they are fairly cheap. Good improv though!