Yamaha T700 Tenere owners thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BDG, Jul 17, 2019.

1. gun pup

gun pup out fishing

Oddometer:
    I’ve always had luck with center stand springs, bending them side to side and sliding pennies in between the spring coils. Keep doing that working down the spring til it’s full of penny’s to be long enough. Put it on the center stand in the compressed position, then drop the stand which expands the springs and the pennies fall out. FWIW
  2. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    T7 suspension has very little damping. Springs are light for my weight of 195lbs. Can bottom the front and rear at will. 62yrs old. Adjusters are a not enough.
    So thanks to CamelAdv for the components to prototype.
    Finally going to get serious and put in the time and money to get this bike working at a high level. Going to take seveal months as we are not shooting for an acceptable level that we can sell to the masses.
    We are shooting for high level forks for the guy that overworks his stock components, due to speed in off road conditions. Potholes, ruts etc. "And" the guy that wants a fork that can be really soft and compliant. Lofty goal but we have made large advances toward that very fork.
    A fork that you can adjust "externally" so it is too plush or soft or adjust so you can hit potholes and ruts at speed without the cringe is possible. We have proven the concept with a new product we just introduced for the WP forks. The design has performed quite well in some major pro level events.
    Items we are addressing as of last weeks meetings with three engineers in all. One of them a Pro racer. Had to save up for this task as this is a father and son gig.
    Fork base valve pistons and mid valve pistons capable of flowing are being designed. The oem pistons are so restrictive that getting a more linear, controlled fork is difficult. Lack of damping lacks control.
    The fork will be a sprung mid valve as this gives more control and bottoming resistance.
    The fork base valve. We are designing the cutting edge design mentioned above. Actually CamelADV has a hand made set "non adjustable" on a bike I set up for him, so he knows where we are coming from. Our goal on the T7, more external adjustment than the oem fork by 10 times. We are realizing noticeable change in damping resistance with a 1/4 turn.
    The shock will be pretty straight forward although would like to address the lack of a high speed compression adjuster. This also gives much needed overall damping adjustment instead of just a bleed circuit.
    How do you think it best to communicate the progress for those that are interested.
    Maybe through CamelAdv. Does he do a blog? We are in the process of doing a new website so can't do it there as of now. New thread maybe? This is going to be a blast!@
  3. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a dedicated T7 suspension thread that might work: https://advrider.com/f/threads/tenere-700-suspension-info.1448483/
    Offcamber likes this.
  4. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Lost 4lbs. overnight:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    RIDE ON!
  5. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had dealer tell me I could get a white one for 9800$ in paper money.

I am looking at a 2020 husqvarna 701 soon.

you guys want to talk me into the T7?
    gone2seed likes this.
  6. Parigi

Parigi Hoinar

Oddometer:
    Nah, you should be good with the 701. More Tenere for us.
    Don T, norton73, twinrider and 9 others like this.
  7. gone2seed

gone2seed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    B13A9F4E-DCA3-4CF0-B9DF-A953DCC74701.jpeg Owned A 701 super moto.
    For a single it rocked. For a single it was smooth.
    It was still a thumper and as my old bones get brittle, as my old bones don’t heal as fast as they used to, as I no longer ride next to the limit, A twin with a more laid back power delivery was what I was after.
    The Husky, and now that KTM is putting the motor with secondary balancing into the 690 I ‘d say go for it.
    ( leave the T7s for us old farts)
  8. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    What sort of riding do you do? 701 and 690 are great bikes. Checkout the 701LR if you want more range. The T7 is a lot nicer on pavement. 701 suspension has mixed reviews. I had the first year of the 701 with the 'new' engine improvements, it was pretty smooth, much nicer than the older 690 I had. The 701 is pretty durable when dropped and you only need a better skid plate. It's a lot easier to pick up too. There's no wrong bike here, it's the one that fits your purpose that you need to pick.
  9. TheMuffinMan54

TheMuffinMan54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    701, great bike. That is, if you don’t mind packing a spare fuel pump, slave cylinder, countershaft seal kit, and side stand delete dongle. Having to remove the fuel tank to adjust the rear spring preload is a great feature also.

In all seriousness, it’s a great platform, but if you expect it to be as trouble-free as the Yamaha, you’ll be sorely disappointed.
    Benduro likes this.
  10. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thought is on my mind. I am looking for an XR650R replacement. It has that visceral experience.

I think Yamaha makes a great product. I rode Super T a few weeks ago. I think I would get enjoyment out of taking a T7 where some people take dirt bikes. Don’t know if the HP to weight would make me giggle.
    Snowbird likes this.
  11. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    S10 584lb/110hp=5.3
    T7 452lb/73.8hp=6.12

Don't pick, just generic numbers from a quick search.
    TimmyTheHog and greasyfatman like this.
  12. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats weight to power but I get the drift. Whats wheel hp on the T7?
  13. TheMuffinMan54

TheMuffinMan54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also had a BRP, so I know where you’re coming from there. I initially switched to a ‘12 KTM 690 and power wise it was an absolute riot, with the ecu set to sport map it was so snappy it was almost unrideable in the slow going, but damn fun on the open stuff. Reliability issues, terrible gearbox, and some weird handling traits ruined it for me though. Working at a Husky dealer I got a chance to do a few rides on the new 701: it’s definitely smoother than the old motor but the ride-by wire takes away most of the bark off the bottom that I liked about the old 690...it’s almost too smooth. And the handling, shifting, and reliability problems are still there.

The T7 loses on paper to the 701 when you’re talking power to weight figures, but it still feels punchier to me, especially right off the bottom, I think largely due to the fact that there is no ride by wire lag...your right hand is connected right to the throttle body. And there are no challenges with chassis balance, it has a proper 6-speed gearbox compared to the 701s 9-speed (6 forward gears and 3 neutrals), and the reliability category is no contest.

I don’t know if my opinion means anything, but consider this: As I mentioned, I work at a Husky dealer...I could have picked up a 701 for dead cost, but I still chose to pay full retail for a T7.
  14. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who has high miles on there T7, say over 20k? Any issues?
  15. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    greasyfatman likes this.
  16. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
  17. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Has any T7 owner flashed their ECU and done a decat? On the S10 that will add close to 10hp, feels like more. Pulls like a beast.
    worncog likes this.
  18. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

The MT07 sees very little gain from basic mods (filter/full exhaust) and a reflash. About 1-2 peak hp gains and 3-4 hp in the midrange.
    Snowbird and Benduro like this.
  19. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

What type of riding are you looking to do? One bike is an offroad oriented thumper and the other is a rally inspired tourer.

T7: 452 lbs wet

701: 344 lbs wet

Both are fantastic in their own right but there's no getting around the 108 lbs difference in weight. There's also no getting around the fact that the Yamaha CP2 engine is an absolute marvel and virtually bomb proof in its reliability.
    Don T, Benduro and norton73 like this.
  20. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking to replace a built XR 650R. My dirt road off road and supermoto Hooligan bike.

I think both bikes would do the work. Might be more fun more challenge to ride the T7 on the two track and jeep roads.
    Ginger Beard likes this.