Yamaha T700 Tenere owners thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BDG, Jul 17, 2019.

1. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    Got the bike set up with HDB (Highway Dirt Bike) bars and an AXP Racing bash plate. With the added padding of day ride saddlebags, I think the bike could survive a right side "tip over". On a tip over on a previous bike, the handlebars bent just inside of where the bar guards stopped.
    IMG_20201021_161727.jpg IMG_20201021_161839.jpg IMG_20201021_161924.jpg
    Plus the little mirrors on the outside will fold up in a tip over. I use the term tip over as opposed to a real crash. Not sure what would be the result. I hope not to find out.
    Benduro and norton73 like this.
  2. duibhceK

duibhceK duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer:
    to replace my Versys for touring around western Europe, which implies a large percentage of tarmac riding, I chose the T7. T7 is just more fun and comfortable on the trails and gravel roads. Alternative I considered was a 790, not a 701. T7 won because the difference in riding experience between the 790 and the T7 didn't justify the difference in price for me.

If I was looking for something to replace the Husqy TR650 Terra I use for more 'out there' destinations, I'd be more inclined to consider a 701.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. svrider65066

svrider65066 discresion is for pussies

Oddometer:
    Hey Muff man, how much do you weigh, and what shimstack did you use in the front end. I'm considering Monticello recommendation for my weight and I also have racetech gold valves but ha e not done anything with it yet. My riding out here in Arizona is a 50/50 mix of low and high speed bumps and the front needs work? Any suggestions would be great!
  4. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still ride a 990 because I can run harder off road on this adventure bike than the others available. But I just took the time to ride the T700 production model, just for about 60 miles at a moderate pace. 50/50 back roads and dirt forestry road that is not of the smooth graded variety. I had already confirmed the bikes good handling from CamelADV prototype. Well I took it pretty easy on the prototype.
    I mean who wants to flog a prototype and take the chance of doing something like swapping it in whoops and slamming the crap out of it? @CamelADV? :) Anyhow I am more impressed with this bike than ever. This production bike definitely feels more powerful than the pre production unit. I think it has the potential to be really, really, good. I have read several times that the motor is sooo good. My first thought when I read that is yada yada yada yada yada, 5 times. After this last ride, still sitting on the bike after pulling into the garage, I am thinking, that is the smoothest most linear motor I have ever ridden. Dang I love this motor. I might want a bit more power but dang I love the motor. Yamaha has a reputation for building the most durable motors in the industry. Hmm I really like this bike. It handles predictably and it turns so well. I give it high marks in the handling department. Got a little twitchy in the sand but I think I can address that successfully. On the twisties I took it easy as it was dusk and I had to watch for animals crossing the road. Never really leaned it over hard but I swear the bike is so smooth on the road I was taken back. Like butter, and the windshield works better than the 990. I am becoming a believer, and looking forward to improving it even more. Dang, after the busy season I may to give the 990 to my son and head for the Yamaha shop? And less electronics too! This bike at this price point. Home Run! CamelADV told me that early on, but I am a slow learner. Thanks by the way for the link to the suspension thread. Very dedicated, thorough, and impressive info. Great job!
  5. TG001

TG001 n00b

Oddometer:
    I installed this screen (D2145S) on my Tenere today:
    IMG_0051.jpeg

It does not interfere with the handguards (Barkbusters Storm). Minor adjustment to the mirrors was needed to avoid them hitting the screen at full lock.

Wind protection is good, no buffeting for me (189 cm). I can ride at 100 kmh with my visor open. Next week I will add Rally Raid wind deflectors, that should improve comfort at higher speeds and/or lower temperatures even more.
    colddog and mcmann like this.
  6. gone2seed

gone2seed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    George,
    Thank you for stopping by.
    Only had the bike since the 10/6/2020. I will do a full review of the springs once I get ‘em in.( had fork and shock springs since Feb. of this year)
    The only major fault I’d pick with this bike was the intro.
    Nice job YamaHa!
    Jeff B.
    ( If you get a chance to buy one ,snap it up! Your first impression of this ride is spot on.)
    Benduro and ride2little like this.
  7. goldentaco

goldentaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    My SC-Project Ti header is on order and I’ e already paid to have ECU flashed. I dont want to do that until I get the header. Too much good weather riding right now.
    Can’tWAIT.
    Although I really have no complaint on the bikes usable power.
  9. colddog

colddog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Powerbronze deflector shields on my bike, definite improvement from stock, well spent cash.
  10. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Huh. Just got quoted $13490 OTD for a $9999 bike. In beleebabble...
    concours and Kyouma like this.
  11. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang. Keep looking.
    Kyouma and Benduro like this.
  12. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like you I'm needing to downsize from my GS. This is on my short list. I probably won't make a move before next year. There are a couple around but none of the local dealers show any inventory.
  13. Benduro

Benduro Motorodeo Supporter

Oddometer:
    12k otd up in the bay area at Berkeley.
    Ginger Beard and Boxerbreath like this.
  14. Milekone

Milekone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have, via Power Vision 3 from Dynojet. I don't know if I noticed all those horses up front, but I did notice wayyyyyyy smoother throttle, motor and all around dialed in response from the unit. The bike also runs cooler now, and I can change every little thing about the ECU, so far I've played with the fuel cut off aka engine braking..
  15. goldentaco

goldentaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM @MeefZah I think he recommended a dealer down there to someone and they got a reasonable price. You should be looking for 11,500 or 12,500 at most OTD in Cali.

Like @Benduro said Berkeley won't charge you BS dealer add ons.
    J
    Benduro likes this.
  16. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Yeah even if I had cash in pocket right now I wouldn’t pay a $1500 premium for any bike. I figured around $12.5K OTD. But charging for putting the bike together etc etc etc is BS.
    Not gonna happen.
  17. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    No PM required, it's public. Work N Play in Yuba City, $11500 and some change OTD. They had another T7 due in and as of 2 weeks ago it wasn't spoken for.
    Benduro likes this.
  18. TheMuffinMan54

TheMuffinMan54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you work for free?
  19. jimbowho

jimbowho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put bikes together for Jim Camaret when I was 12 in the summer. if shops are charging 15-2000 for un-crate & assembly, I would feel hosed.
    Benduro likes this.
  20. readonly24

readonly24 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which mapping are you using?