Yamaha T700 Tenere owners thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BDG, Jul 17, 2019.

1. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get a mid-60s British bike, 60 will feel like a challenge.

That's why i had to sell off my Ducatis, anything under 90 was boring on the street. My license was in danger on a regular basis.
    Dan-M, jdub and tonyubsdell like this.
  2. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Wow...
  3. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    I just came off a Transalp600.
  4. goldentaco

goldentaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know and that's why it took a while to figure out. It's technically not figured out really as I never ran an AFR meter on it. I thought about getting one. Need a Wide band O2 sensor and tailpipe housing with the AFR monitor. I found some but I didn't really want to drop the coin on that just to have some numbers for certain.

It's not so much that it is rich in stock form it's just not overly lean as we have come to expect. Where increasing airflow can cause issues. In my case at least, it didn't create an issue. In my case both Unifilters created a rich scenario. I could swipe my finger on the tail pipe and lift off soot. When it was running cold I had sooty moisture droplets coating the tail pipe. Now it is still darkened, but if I swipe my finger it doesn't lift off soot.

As for the filters, it is actually cheaper to get the MWR filter and plate but you may want a prefilter. You can pick up the TwinAir filter alone for around $20. So for around 180 minus shipping you have it all.

TwiAir kit and MWR filter would cost about $220 minus shipping. I honestly don't think anyone will notice any performance difference between the two top plates. MWR one is beveled for better flow supposedly.

J
    Benduro and Bike Guy like this.
  5. rve123

rve123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked up my new Tenere 700 yesterday. 2021 Europa.
    Interesting to see how the fitment of the aftermarket skidplates will be.
    OEM skidplate has changed a little (2-piece now) and they've welded some brackets on the headers for the second piece and there's a collector behind the skidplate..

European 2021 skidplate and headers:

Tenere 700 2021 Skidplate 1.png
    tonyubsdell, Wonger20 and Snowbird like this.
  6. Stabilo_Boss

Stabilo_Boss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was the bike more expensive than the 2020 Euro4 version?
  7. rve123

rve123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Listing price for The Netherlands went from 11599 to 11899 euro as per the januari 1.
    Not sure if that has something to do with 2021 or just regular price changes. I've seen similar price changes for different brands as well.
  8. Stabilo_Boss

Stabilo_Boss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ordered mine last week (Switzerland) and have been told I will get a Euro4 version. The listed price was the launch price for the Tenere 700.
  9. BigDiggity

BigDiggity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the new bike! :clap

Do you know if there's any compatibility problems with the aftermarket exhaust end cans made for the Euro 4 Ténéré 700?

Is the skidplate for the cat actually welded on to it?

I wonder if the header from the Euro 4 can be put on the Euro 5 without fault lights coming on.

Sorry for all the questions :D
    I've got one on order as well.
  10. rve123

rve123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No idea about aftermarket exhausts. Will keep the stock exhaust due to problems in the past with law enforcement.. Akra offered by Yamaha doesn't have an extra disclaimer about the 2021 EU5 models.

They've welded 2 extra brackets on the headers/cat to bold on the 2e piece of the skid plate. The small piece skidplate could be bolted off easily. However, there will be 2 small U-shaped brackets which will most likely interfere with several aftermarket skidplates..

Did notice earlier today that the Yamaha Rally skid plate (bw3-f84r0-01-00) now has an extra disclaimer: Not for 2021 EU5 bikes.
    Also send some e-mails to several aftermarket Skidplate designers to inform if the 2019/2020 skidplates will fit on 2021 models. No reply's so far.

Tenere 700 2021 Skidplate 2.png
    BigDiggity likes this.
  11. Steveman

Steveman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will get my new T7 in April and after I have seen all these pictures I am not amused. The T700 Rally owners manual shows the bike with the big bash plate offered by Yamaha as accessory. So I bet that will fit. At least I hope so

Take a look at this excerpt from the Yamaha 21 owners manual. That is making me really nervous as I had planned to remove the header and replace it with one w/o catalytic converter, then alter the ECU to get a richer mixture. I am sure that a different muffler wont be a problme otherwise they could not offer the Akro and also I do not understand why they mention suspension and tyres in association with a monitoring system for the emissions.

tenere euro5.jpeg
    Benduro likes this.
  12. rve123

rve123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The current "big bash plate" offered by Yamaha has a disclaimer that it won't fit the 2021 EU5 Tenere. My guess is there will be a big bash plate for the 2021 EU5 bikes available in some time and that one will also be fitted to the T700 Rally.
    Same with all the aftermarket skidplates. Will they fit? If they won't then I expect they will become available in some time.
    For now however lots of unknown answers about fitment.

I've seen that, just not sure what to think of it. Basically there are 2 options:
    - Option 1: As written in the manual there will be errors due to emission problems.
    - Option 2: Nothing to worry about and it's only written to take away responsibility by Yamaha if the owners changes parts and the bike wouldn't make EU5 regulations.

Somehow I'm more about the second option. Bike has to make EU5 regulations. If you make changes to the bike it is possible that it doesn't meet EU5 regulations. Due to this writing in the manual Yamaha isn't responsible if changes have been made.
    I've seen similar writings before with different manufacturers. Just so they are not responsible if you make changes.

About the tyres/suspension.. Nothing to do with emission. Probably just mentions because this is how the bike has been tested for EU5 regulation and has been approved for sale.
  13. Steveman

Steveman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah OK, I have nowhere found this, but I don't doubt your words. Doesn't make me happy as the bash plate I have on order will go back immediately.

If the OEM bash plates offered 2020 wont fit all aftermarket plates wont fit either. However, my buddy has a Rally on order which should arrive the same week as mine and it will already have the new bash plate. So I will have at least the chance to look at it and maybe see what the differences are.

I hope it is 2, but I am not convinced. It will take some time till the first guys start experimenting.

Of course if I change the mapping and header it wont fulfil Euro5 specs. So far I never cared about that on other bikes that I have used with o2 sensor eliminated and race headers. But it may be difficult to get the electronics working w/o flashing MIL or even running in emergency mode when I alter the maps. It was a no brainer on the Euro4 model.

It is clear that it has nothing to do with emissions, I just wonder why they mention it. Changing a shock wont affect the Eur5 specs....
  14. CO1K

CO1K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh thx J, you got me at “Calm down. Everything will be alright.” My life is complete now...
    jimbowho likes this.
  15. CO1K

CO1K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are right, I love the 7th gear on my Transalp. :imaposer
  16. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exhaust question here too.
    Bought mine used with full Leo exhaaust but it is too loud for my woods riding taste so I would love to keep the cat free headers and install the OEM muffler in place of the LEO muffler. Should I have any concerns prior or just see what happens code wise????

Also anyone installed the OEM heated grips themselves and had any issues? I prefer OEM over Oxford
    Thanks
  17. palada

palada Perma-n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    You’ll get no codes if you’re only changing the exhaust.
    IMO the Leo isn’t much louder than stock, maybe a little more bass is all. The Leo weighs less too.
    Can’t help you with the OEM grips, I used AME on mine. Those work well and were an easy install, FWIW.
  18. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Leo header is on the bike with the muffler. I will swap cans and see.
    It is quiet until you accelerate. Sound great on the street but pushes what I consider respectable in the woods.
    Geo-Nemesis, BalancePoint and worncog like this.
  19. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I don’t have any great love of strap type tank bags so I popped the fuel tank cover off and epoxied thin magnets to the underside. It took a bit of sorting to get them lined up with the magnets on my cortech tank bag but well worth it.

5E2276F8-AA87-4C25-8107-882EB82F9E3C.png
    spoof, joenuclear, Dan-M and 8 others like this.
  20. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Nor do I. Was thinking about a bag with long enough magnet containers to reach the steel. Not sure why Yamaha didn't just go with a steel tank without the plastic covers.

Also, speaking of the tank, give me a hinged cap. If the point was to be easier to put gas in from a jerry can, make the hinge pin removable.
    rob1313 likes this.