Yamaha T700 Tenere owners thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BDG, Jul 17, 2019.

1. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice.

Which turn signals did you use? I installed the Cyclops kit and my wife tells me they can't be seen in bright sunlight. She almost rearended me recently when I went to make a turn and said other drivers would probably be even worse.
    lithodave and jdub like this.
  2. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    madrider5150, norton73 and jdub like this.
  3. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, first confirmation I’ve seen regarding the same concern.

My T7 came with Cyclops turn signals front and rear. During a break in a group ride around and through a state forest, I asked the guy who’d been following me how well he could see the signals. He said their brake light function worked well, but he never even noticed the signals if I’d used them (I had, repeatedly).

Looks like I’ll be replacing them with a different set of LEDs.
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  4. jdub

Oddometer:
  5. Offcamber

Oddometer:
    Why yes, yes it is...

Very nice kit.
    jdub likes this.
  6. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Catastrophic T700 rear brake failure:

Last weekend I rode with three friends and two were riding new T7's and having a blast. About 150 miles into the ride the rear brake stopped working on one of the T7's. Here were the symptoms:
    1. A clunking sound could be heard when the brake pedal was depressed
    2. Brake fluid was leaking out when the brake was depressed
    3. The ABS warning light came on

We looked at the rear brake line, loosened the bolts up and retightened and the leaking stopped but the brake still made a clunking sound.

I told my friend that it was impossible to have any problem with a T7 because they were so reliable. He rode it the rest of the day without using the rear brake with the idea we would take a closer look at it when we reached our destination.

Later that night we discovered he had taken his rear wheel off a week earlier to fix a flat and when he reinstalled the rear wheel, he misaligned the brake caliper on the swing arm so it WAS NOT in the swing arm slot. This rider did not have a center stand mounted so it took some work to get the rear wheel on and the rear brake caliper aligned correctly. Because the rear caliper had been installed incorrectly, the ABS wire was cut. A little soldering fixed that as well.

Bottom line. The T7 is still a very reliable bike. Take special care when reinstalling the rear wheel and brake caliper as it is possible to install it incorrectly. Operator error and not the bikes fault. Lesson learned.
  7. jdub

Oddometer:
    Many years ago I bought a used KLR650. The owner had changed rear brake pads and reinstalled the caliper with the disk between the brake piston and the back of one of the new brake pads. Tore the hell out of and destroyed the disk, brake pad and caliper.

Bottom line: Many failures of simple parts are the result of bad user maintenance.
    CoopsDL and russell44 like this.
  8. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    madrider5150, Offcamber and jdub like this.
  9. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    I'm going to order those for my DRZ and test them for rest of the season before maybe putting them on the t7.
  10. TooBadBrad

TooBadBrad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    don't feel to bad in CA. Here in Oregon one dealer who has bikes in stock is asking 14,999!
  11. hakinan

hakinan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's too funny. When you ask the reason for that inflated prices, they start telling stupid, dramatic stories and they get mad if don't buy it.
  12. Offcamber

Oddometer:
    I lucked out and got mine from a dealer 3.5 hours away. A customer that ordered it backed out when it came in. We were talking about how difficult these bikes are to get and how I heard some dealers were gouging customers on price. He said he considered upping the price but quickly dismisses it as he didn't want to piss off his customers. Good sense because I will recommend them in the future. A dealer who over charges like that won't get any of my business....parts service etc....
    Peter1969 likes this.
  13. Samojede70

Samojede70 n00b

Oddometer:
    I picked mine up last week at Pro Caliber in Vancouver, WA and they sell it for $9,999 plus fees and OR DMV. I payed a total of $11,200.
    Don't go to Power Motorsport, I think they live on a different World!
  14. Snarfblatt

Snarfblatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First post in the owners thread… (at least I think so)

I can confirm the bike is a lot of fun and…

1) the stock Pirelli STRs aren’t great in dry rocky + sandy gravel!

2) Outback Motortek crash bars work well

Attached Files:

15. Offcamber

Oddometer:
  16. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went with Cyclops. They updated their kit and to me it was worth the price for a plug and play install.
    Yammybound88 and Boxerbreath like this.
  17. JW

JW Springs' Cuz

Oddometer:
    @mpatch. A post install review would be appreciated as @norton73 and @jdub both posted on the previous page that the Cyclops turn signals are very difficult to see.
  18. russell44

russell44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stock rear signals almost falling out after one bumpy dirt ride. I put a set of DRC led lights on the rear today. Nice and bright, hopefully they last.
  19. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    True, Cyclops has a nice kit for the T7. I hate to peer down at a vendor, but the signals are suspect (to me).
    Identical signals are available on Amazon for about $15 a pair...
  20. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m not disagreeing. But their new kit comes plug and play no bullet connectors like they had on the initial kit according to earlier reviews.
    I hate wiring things.
    To me the extra $100 was worth it.