Yamaha T700 Tenere owners thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by BDG, Jul 17, 2019.

1. true grip

true grip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chalk my thought was the front end is light from pillion and luggage. Bringing tubes up would bring front wheel back and should take away the chopper effect. Small movements make a difference just have to be sure you have fender clearance. Only for a temp fix till you get home. Doesn’t sound like it’s fun to ride right now.
  2. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look in your OM under Specifications.

Sample:
    Tracer 700 & Tracer 900 = 180 kg total weight (rider, passenger, accessories & luggage)

Attached Files:

Aleksandar_the_Great likes this.
  3. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would be very interesting to see your total weights with luggage and also the sag measurements when loaded. It only has 200mm travel and probably 100 of that taken with 2 and gear on board. From my experience it will be near impossible to get a setup that is right for pilion and for solo. Usually one or the other. Or the middle on not great for either.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I totally agree with you even though I don,t travel like you.I really wanted a unicorn but T7 not it.Just a lighter pig version of my AT.Will keep AT and most likely buy something like a ktm 500 for my on/offroad short touring which is still a heavy bitch to me in the Michigan swamps and sand.If I ever get to test ride one maby I would change my mind but most likely not.Mpst
    It helps if wifey or girlfriend is not to heavy.I found a good compromise on AT.Sporty suspension if I don't dial the preload back but not to bad.I am usually to lazy to turn them down so just ride faster not having to worry about passenger lol.Bikes are way more fun without passenger.I have read here some of the same issues I had.The correct springs make a very nice difference. From what I have been seeing here the T7 has classic undersprung jap suspension.Of course there are going to be plenty whether 100lbs or 300 lbs that swear it's perfect.So sad that some people think it's great when they are over 200 lbs.They have no idea what they are missing.
    BDG likes this.
  5. erey

erey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    owner manual - page 94
    Loading: Maximum load: 190 kg (419 lb)
    Total weight of rider, passenger, cargo and accessories
    mcmann and Hottentotti like this.
  6. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I guess we exceed the total load, I’m 90 kgs and the wife is 70 kgs. I guess our luggage at 20 kgs.
    I know the rear rack weight is 7 kgs pannier frames similar.
    I can’t imagine many people two up touring will be able to get under 190 kgs.
    I have mates that won’t manage on there own with all the crap they carry.

Yamaha clearly state in the brochure that the bike is capable one up, two up and two up with luggage, perhaps they should state the total load in the brochure as well!
    I can’t check my owners manual. The bike wasn’t supplied with one in English, only French and German.
  7. kaertner

kaertner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 72KG, my girlfriend is 43kg, total 115kg, so plenty of room for luggage weight which is usually no more than 20kg, so a real total of 135kg plus gear of 15kg (for 2) = 150kg. We are typical continental European size.
    powder85 likes this.
  8. true grip

true grip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    58C038D7-00B9-4A0C-A2FD-C9A1541A89A9.jpeg No way my wife is gonna tour on that skinny seat. Here’s her rig. If you watch the reviews on you tube that’s how I see the bikes best potential. One up railing back roads and light luggage for backcountry tours. No interstates, no highway pegs, no givi top. I like the term travel enduro one reviewer uses.
  9. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you either misunderstood what I said or are dreaming.
    The weights I posted are including our riding gear, about 10kgs
    If your wife is 43kgs in all her motorcycle gear she is definitely not typical European.
    Ayep likes this.
  10. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He added 7.5kg of motorcycle gear per person, that has to be added to that:)
    My 8 year old son is like only 10kg less than her lol.
  11. kaertner

Oddometer:
    I'm 176cm (5' 9") and 72Kg, she's is 160cm (5' 3") and 43kg, that's kind of normal in Europe. Sure there are extremes, people in the UK tend to be 'larger' than most continental Europeans.
  12. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    43351181-E897-45CE-8CE7-53066ADD9B49.jpeg
  13. kaertner

Oddometer:
    Supports what I said, the UK has 'larger' people, probably due to the generally bad diet. What's not on there are the other maybe 30 European countries. I'm from southern Europe where generally people have a very good diet (much less processed foods ) and a more outdoor life. Northern European countries tend to have worse diets including drinking far more alcohol and eating far more red meat and dairy products and living more indoor life. It's all about the Mediterranean diet :-)
    djfoell and Chalkie62 like this.
  14. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah 160cm/45-50kg is the typical small slim cutie :)
    popohun and Chalkie62 like this.
  15. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out and about today in Croatia with no luggage, seeing the sights.
    Over the last 1600 miles two up loaded the bike has averaged 67mpg
    With only a total of about 100 kilometres of motorway, the rest being minor roads and mountain passes when possible. I think this fuel consumption will give most people a 250 mile tank range.
    The bike has more than enough power for two up travel and is much nicer to use than our old 690 over the longer days, just being such a smooth twin.
    The oil level hasn’t moved or hardly changed colour, not that I expected it to.
  16. Tau Anvil

Tau Anvil African by trade

Oddometer:
    South Africa May 2020 delivery only.......selling the Africa Twin now to have the cash ready when the Tenere lands!!! I am not a brand crazy person, except Yamaha cannot wait for this bike.
    stromsavard likes this.
  17. MotoPolo

MotoPolo So many places, so little time Supporter

Oddometer:
    THAT IS AMAZING MILAGE - US OR IMPERIAL GAL?
  18. lithodave

lithodave brachy850

Oddometer:
    Do you know the country-of-manufacture for the S. African bikes? Will they be Japanese or French?
  19. kaertner

Oddometer:
    What difference does it make?
  20. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    if japenese it may come with an english owners manual, other thing , the labels , what language are they in>