Yamaha T700 Tenere owners thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by BDG, Jul 17, 2019.

1. bobmoz

bobmoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    336EE12A-1B91-40CF-A8FF-480B46A1024F.jpeg F8077D84-474A-4A91-ADCB-5B91080E6D4D.jpeg 5DD28D03-26A7-436F-B4AD-12E56C92C194.jpeg 72D93586-54F1-42DE-9A94-E632B33C0942.jpeg To get back on track to owners thoughts etc.
    I guessed it was about time to leave my thoughts on my ownership so far...
    Picked up mine on the 5th of September and just went over 1k miles today.
    So far it is stock apart from:
    Rally seat
    Bar risers
    Yammie heated grips.

It’s a bit good!!!
    For me, as soon as I sat on it the position was excellent, standing, with the bar risers, puts you in a very natural position.
    I took it easy for the first 600 miles, as it’s the first brand spanking bike I have bought and I was initially a bit meh about it. You could feel the potential but it was really a case of grinding out the miles until the first service.
    Once the first service was done, it’s a different story.
    All the journo reviews are spot on, this bike is far more capable and fun on the road than it has a right to be! Excellent power delivery, power wheelies galore and corners beautifully.
    Off road (only dry trails so far) fantastic. Once you get a feel for the strange way the weight is carried, it stops being a hinderance and is very capable. Easy to pop the front wheel and keep flowing in techy ground. As much power as anyone needs, on this kind of bike, giving you the option between solid confidence inspiring traction, or loose balls out, edge of disaster riding with a massive grin.
    Good economy, averaging around 60mpg now
    Screen is fine for me at 5’11”, although an extender for long boring tarmac slogs may be nice
    Rally seat is ok for a couple of hours riding but a leg stretch is needed before getting back on

No plans to change anything apart from tyres, to something more off-road orientated, aftermarket exhaust for a bit of weight saving and some more grrrr would be nice and a tail tidy to get rid of that nonsense hanging off the back

Oh yeah and I need to get rid of that day glow yellow, who wants day glow yellow on a bike

Happy tenere owner
    97707, ACR, 1stgenfarmboy and 23 others like this.
  2. kaertner

kaertner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Yamaha Xmax 300 was built in France, came with English owner's manual. Do you think that Yamaha (or in fact any manufacturer) deliver bikes to a country with the wrong language documentation? Never, ever seen that in my whole life.
  3. lithodave

lithodave brachy850

Oddometer:
    Because if a Japan plant can supply South Africa in May, perhaps we in north America can infer a May 2020 arrival as well.
  4. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Imperial gallons. All the European bikes are assembled in France, the engines are all built on Japan though.
  5. lithodave

lithodave brachy850

Oddometer:
    Well, Valentino Rossi wants dayglow yellow on HIS Yamaha.
    Aleksandar_the_Great likes this.
  6. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    You need a helmet like mine :D:D:D

IMG_5297.jpeg
  7. bobmoz

bobmoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I should post some negatives too really...
    The snatchy throttle is a bit of a pain but you can work around it and I’m pretty sure a bit of fiddling will improve it a bit.
    Lack of protection on the water pump makes me a bit nervous
    At the moment though, that’s it!
    Don T likes this.
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    G2 throttle tamer is helpful and a pretty cheap upgrade.They also sell one with 3 different cam profiles so you can get it exactly how you like.
  9. Heipaal

Heipaal Always the hard way

Oddometer:
    Yep, me to, we need a aftermarket solution ASAP for that!
  10. powder85

powder85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys, anyone can give advice about how to move the handlebars closer to me without rising them? All I can find are the typical bar risers that lift and pull back at the same time.

[​IMG]
  11. djfoell

djfoell Old enough to know better. Young enough to try.

Oddometer:
    I suppose you could use Rox risers and angle them straight back, but I have no idea if anything would interfere.
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may have to run risers like that with a lower bar to pull that position off.
  13. philratton

philratton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can rotate them some. Check for cables and tank clearance.
  14. MotoPolo

MotoPolo So many places, so little time Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or different bars
  15. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    Nice summary. What is the stock gearing - primary and drive sprocket teeth? Any thought about changing that? Have you had a chance to do some slow speed dirt riding , like motor up long rocky bumpy hills at 20 MPH, or a lot of slow terrain work? Interested in how well the bike cools - what temp does fan come on and off and how often do you see that off road?

"Strange Weight Carrying" - What do you mean? Is the bike top heavy? ( a complaint I have on my WR 450).

Have you really taxed the suspension yet? Does it feel like it is keeping the wheel in contact with the ground?

"more Grrrr"?

thanks
  16. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    I put a Delkevic 14" titanium slip-on on mine - nice sound 1.67 Kg - reasonable price
  17. bobmoz

bobmoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Motoplo...
    Stock gearing is a good balance between off and on road useability. I’m sure I’ll consider changing to a more off-road setup at some point but no intention yet.
    Yes, lots of slow speed off-road, uk greenlanes are pretty tight and techy. Steep rocky climbs are fine but limited traction from the tyres, they just aren’t up to it but the bike is.
    Not paid much attention to the cooling temps, been too busy having fun to care! I will pay more attention next time and feedback.
    Strange weight carrying, it initially feels top heavy, plus the tall tank plays tricks with my mind I think, as the reality once you get used to the bike is that the bike feels excellent and easily flickable and nimble, for an adventure bike (it’s just not an enduro bike by any means)
    Suspension is fine regarding tracking and contact, feels very plush off-road and has not got out of shape yet. Currently only upped the preload a tad but I do need to spend some time properly setting it up, as it could be better. Not bottomed it out yet, I’m being nice to it Still, won’t last though. I’m sure I’ll find the limits soon. It is very good though, for the price of the bike and handles both it’s tasks (off and on road) very well.
    More grrrr! Just mean more bark, exhaust note is good but I’m used to old bikes rather than lovely smooth new ones, I’d just like a bit more bark to the sound and the obvious massive weight saving too
  18. bobmoz

bobmoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really want some aftermarket company to make a GRP bash plate like the one on the concept bike though!!
    I’m going to hold off upgrading the bash plate until then, I’m sure someone will make one?
    Aleksandar_the_Great likes this.
  19. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can’t rotate the bars very Much, the switch gear is pegged in to pre drilled holes in the bars for production line assembly purposes.
    If you don’t grind the switch gear and rotate the bars forward the clutch lever fouls the flash switch.
    If you are going to change bars, you will need to grind the switch gear, not a big issue.
  20. r1d3rg652gs

r1d3rg652gs DesertSleder

Oddometer:
    Wait for outback mototrek and SW-Motech...