Yamaha T700 Tenere owners thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BDG, Jul 17, 2019.

1. TheMuffinMan54

TheMuffinMan54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool numbers, but I think when most owners talk about weight reduction ideas they aren’t thinking about ripping off all the fairings and bodywork to create some frankenbike...they just want to see what they can cut off while still maintaining the bikes core look and features.

I’ve delved into this topic a lot with my own T7...I don’t think a 30kg reduction is doable, at least not without stripping the bike down to something unrecognizable like seen in that link. 20kg might be achievable, but it’s going to take a lot of small mods in addition to the big easy ones mentioned above. Some other ideas to shave a few grams here and there:
    - aluminum fasteners in all non-critical areas.
    - titanium fasteners wherever possible
    - titanium foot pegs.
    - stock fork cartridges are steel and VERY heavy...swapping them out for aftermarket aluminium ones would save a lot of weight. Much easier than swapping the forks and triple clamps
    - titanium shift linkage rod
    - replacing the steel rear brake line guide with something lighter and simpler
    - 520 drive conversion, drilled front sprocket, aluminium rear sprocket
    - ditching the stock bar-end weights
    - smaller, lighter mirrors
    - Evap canister delete
    - Coolant recovery tank delete
    - remove chain guard and hardware
    - thinner brake rotors
    - snorkel removal and trim down airbox lid
    - horn delete (sounds stupid but it saves almost half a pound. Never used it anyway...I’ll give the throttle a blip if I need to get someone’s attention)
    - LED signals will save weight IF you use aluminium hardware to mount them instead of the chunky steel stuff they always come with.

Of course the best thing you can do to save weight is try your best not to bolt on a bunch of extra junk in the first place...
  2. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    And lose 5kg / 11lbs off their gut :-)
    ForestHill, worncog, norton73 and 4 others like this.
  3. octagonpilot

octagonpilot _________________

Oddometer:
    Not sure how much weight will come off a T7, but after watching Pol Tarres ride his, I’d say enough. Enough to reach a very high level of performance.

If you need/want more capability than that, its not going to be weight that’s the hold up.
    Barry and Dan-M like this.
  4. captain jc

captain jc wahoo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Feels lighter at 12,000ft. Give it a go. 20210811_124933.jpg
  5. TheMuffinMan54

Oddometer:
    I hate that logic...a world-class trials and hard enduro rider can do amazing things with his T7 so therefore it’s pointless to try and improve yours.

1) I’m not Pol Tarres
    2) You have no idea what’s been done to his bike...of course they’re going to say it’s “basically stock” Yamaha is paying him to promote their product. Could have titanium crash bars for all we know?
    3) I’m not Pol Tarres

Yes I could get better as a rider (a lot better) and in the process overcome some of the bikes shortcomings, but at the same time, there’s no harm in trying to make the bike lighter. It’s not going to hurt anything but my wallet.
    Peter1969 and madrider5150 like this.
  6. al803

al803 Tenere700

Oddometer:
    Has anyone installed the SC-project Rally Raid full exhaust (for racing use only)? Do you have to end the break in period before installing such an exhaust? Should there be a different air filter or mapping to work fine?
  7. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another thing people either don't know or overlook is the fact that dude is 6'7" tall and in amazing physical condition.
    He's a very large strong athletic human.
  8. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lol, indeed. Always in the gym.

Anyone thinking of emulating him has to ask "If I do a pivot turn on my T7 and it goes wrong, can I hold it?"

I'm out.
    HardWorkingDog likes this.
  9. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    PXL_20210906_035315370.jpg
    More basic than can I do a pivot turn or weight reduction is I converted the rear wheel to no tube system. the 36 lb recommended for stock. Off-road I found it to be a little harsh so I'm going with 26 front 30 rear. So how low can I go with a no tube system on the rear and be safe?
  10. TheMuffinMan54

Oddometer:
    I think any less than 23psi and you risk spinning the tire on the rim.
  11. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    So I recently tried and failed to install Cr high bend bars due to smaller control area, stock is 200mm while they are 180mm. I've seen plenty of people with bars that are 180mm in the controls, how are they getting around this? The control pods are chunky and they don't bunch up well so throttle tube is hanging off or brake lever is going on the bend of the bars.. I'm looking at pro taper ATV low bend to maybe solve this?
  12. TheMuffinMan54

Oddometer:
    I installed a set of pro taper Windhams and had a similar problem. First thing you’ve gotta do (if you haven’t already) is run a tap through the bar and reinstall the stock bar ends. They add 10-12mm to each end of the bar and make them a bit wider so that should get you pretty close to the correct width. After doing that everything bolted up fine, but the brake perch was still a bit too far inward and caused the lever to point up a little. Solved that by grinding a bit of excess material off the mirror mount which allowed me to move the perch out just enough to get the lever level with the bar. It’s a tight fit, but worth the effort...bar bend is SOOO much better than stock. IMG_3044.jpg
    madrider5150 likes this.
  13. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    I go down to 22 PSI front and back with no tubes the back can survive just fine (with a strong tire) and you dont mind if the tyre does spin a bit on the rim (I have not found that to be a problem) but if you take a big hit on the front you will bend the rim if travelling at speed
    solitary1 likes this.
  14. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately that can happen at 32 psi also...

20210721_100854.jpg
    RPM25, Benduro and SkipD like this.
  15. ForestHill

ForestHill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need to clean my air filter soon. Is there any consensus on air filter upgrades / snorkel delete?
  16. ProLeisure

ProLeisure Gimme shelter... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done no mods to the snorkel, but I upgraded the filter to a Guglatech air filter. However, I don't have anything to compare the filter to since I bought it even before my bike had arrived. I ended up ordering it after seeing this video. He was riding in some pretty harsh conditions and it did a great job keeping dirt/sand out:

17. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello neighbor, I just gotta ask why you would want to delete the snorkel ?
  18. colddog

colddog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed the Unifilter with pre-filter kit. Pre-filter works incredible, often it is the only filter I need to clean as the main filter stays protected real well.
    madrider5150 likes this.
  19. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    I did the unifilter foam and pre filter- no snorkel delete unless you are running road only IMO
  20. captain jc

captain jc wahoo Supporter

Oddometer: