Yamaha T700 Tenere owners thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BDG, Jul 17, 2019.

1. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Do you feel like the buffeting is coming from under, or over the screen? If it's the latter, an MRA X-Creen might help. It's height and angle adjustable. On my Africa Twin it was enough to relieve the buffeting at highway speeds.
  2. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190728_174043.jpg View attachment 1810560 View attachment 1810560 Just got back from a decent 170 mile run on the bike...
    So now i have a good idea what it's like on and off road. I did some not too difficult trails because i was on my own and still running in.
    Well to be honest i am gobsmacked just how good the T7 is
    I was in 2 minds about part exchanging my Africa Twin for the T7.
    I ordered the T7 and sold my CB500X Rally Raid level 3 a couple of months ago because it was under powered and the suspension even with the Rally Raid kit on was still crap.
    The AT had the power and the suspension was decent and to be honest i really like the AT hence my dilemma about PXing it.....
    But it's gone and to be honest now i have took the T7 for a decent test i am glad i replaced it with the T7.

So I hear you ask what's my view of the T7.....On the road i love it even though i am still limited to 5K you can still shift it along the back roads fine ( when she is run in it will be a blast )....It feels so much more flick-able than the AT and that CP2 engine is brilliant....It's so punchy super smooth and has loads of character.
    I have heard it said that the throttle is a bit on or off at the bottom....But i think it's perfect and possible some people mistake the instant punch the motor delivers for poor carburation.....But you tackle a tricky climb in first and there is no problem with the motor you can just trickle it along...Put it in second and give it a bit of gas and it responds instantly.... None of this fly by wire woolly feeling you are connected to the throttle bodies and that's brilliant.
    The lack of weight compared to the AT is a revelation off road.... You can place it just where you want it on the track...It's nimble, narrow, precise and gives excellent traction with almost enduro fast throttle response.
    I can't see single track being a problem on the T7
    But the new T7 is in my opinion is brilliant....It's such a fun bike to ride...Also very forgiving.... I am so glad i bought it

IMG_20190728_184010.jpg IMG_20190728_183649.jpg IMG_20190728_174345.jpg IMG_20190728_173915.jpg IMG_20190728_184207.jpg IMG_20190728_180517.jpg
  3. philratton

philratton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

What a piece of shit!
    E-luke, IRockJAG, muddysoles and 3 others like this.
  4. philratton

Oddometer:
    Please do! Thank you brother.
  5. MotoPolo

MotoPolo So many places, so little time Supporter

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Garry H, post: 38092592, member: 92044"[/QUOTE]
    T7 owners - some questions for you on experience with bike as your are able:

What indicated temperature does the thermostat open up?. On the FZ07 it is 174 Deg F - you can tell by observing the lowest temperature on the dash once it warms up - maybe 60 mph steady speed in 6 gear.

What is typical temperature if just playing in dirt below 30 MPH for extended period - 1-3 gears only?

At What temperature does fan come on?

On highway (or dirt), once you break it in, - does the front wheel come off the ground with just throttle (no clutch popping or pulling on handlebars)

MPG figures once broke in
    thanks
  6. Tobers

Tobers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    • MPG at a steady 70mph is shown as 65-70MPG.
    • Average MPG so far since new after 150 miles of 90% road, 10% dirt, not much revving over 5k, is 63.9
    • Normal riding on the motorway gives a temp of 81C
    • Offroad (dry narrow gravel track and some tricky uphill flint-nodule golf/tennis ball marble-like stuff) it was showing 103C and the fan seems to come on at 102C
    • Filling up from the flashing empty fuel indicator, the bike took 10.51 litres with some slow dribbling at the end. The bike has a deep filler neck so I reckon you could get another litre in by making a vent hole in the filler neck.
    Today's fun...some offroad and some motorway riding. I moved the gear lever down (undo the two locking nuts either end of the actuator rod and twiddle the rod to adjust the lever height). I also much prefer the handlebar position since I rotated it upwards a bit. I still hate the rear number plate hanger which makes the plate far too low, and it looks clumsy - someone make a svelte little one.

Offroad - I tried some slightly more challenging stuff today - tracks in the Surrey Hills with lots of round flint nodules that varied in size from golf-ball to tennis ball, and were all loose. Quite a laugh really. Also some rain gulleys with roots and various lumps and bumps. Nothing serious, but I'm taking it gently to start with. The T7 is remarkably agile - it responds very quickly to footpeg pressure to steer when standing up. It's easy to change direction and get the bike going where you want with precision. I turned ABS off - easy enough to do. The bike is narrow between the knees. All rather nice. I didn't get into any trouble. The suspension soaked everything up. I think it would be a different matter if it was rainy and muddy with the stock tyres (which worked really well on dry dirt).

Brakes - some mention by journos that the fronts are rather soft to start with, then bite well. This is correct. I think it's been done on purpose so you don't lock the front due to having too much initial bite. I quite like it actually.There's plenty of power there when you need it. The rear seems fine.

Getting lots of double and triple takes from other bikers, plus pedestrians as well. Seems to be a lot of interest in the bike.

IMG_1362.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
  7. Bombadier36

Bombadier36 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cannot say thank you enough to everyone who has posted information. Also, congrats on the ownership of the bike!!!

Looking to ride 90% road and 10% dirt with this bike and it seems to be perfect. I’m assuming 70mph is kph? I’m in the USA and slightly concerned of the vibrations and comfort of riding at a sustained 60-65 mph (96-105 kph).
    Benduro likes this.
  8. BDG

BDG Long timer

Oddometer:

Tobers, looks and sounds great. I was supposed to get mine last week, which has turned into this week (possibly, argh!!!!)
    Benduro likes this.
  9. philratton

Oddometer:
    Hey Tobers, thanks a lot my friend, great info there!
    You are talking uk gallons, right?
  10. Tobers

Tobers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    UK gallons and MPH not KMH
    CCitis and Bombadier36 like this.
  11. Tobers

Tobers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No vibes anywhere up to 80mph. Smooth as a moist oil covered teflon frying pan.
  12. Tobers

Tobers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another thing I have noticed...the catalytic converter is tiny. It’s just a slightly thicker pipe. On the MT07, there’s a great bit horrible box there. Amazingly neater on the T7. Wish they’d done the same with the MT10 which suffers from a giant cat blob.
    Benduro, Peter1969, Chalkie62 and 2 others like this.
  13. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    and we all know that is the smoothest thing on earth!
    Bombadier36 and Chalkie62 like this.
  14. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    Blob cat
    Benduro likes this.
  15. Parigi

Parigi Hoinar

Oddometer:
    What RPM is the engine spinning at highway speed, lets say 110km/h?
  16. Tobers

Tobers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    5k rpm = approx 70mph
    Parigi and Bombadier36 like this.
  17. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Liberator likes this.
  18. Milekone

Milekone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you using ear plugs?
  19. Tobers

Tobers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was lamenting the lack of a button on the handlebars to switch between the mpg/trip/temp reading, and having to reach forward to press the button on the display to toggle them. So annoying.

Then I found the “select” lever on the right handlebar which does exactly that. RTFM. Bit silly that it’s in the right not the left but hey ho.

Revised 70mph on motorway mpg. It’s about 50-55 mpg today, but with a bit of a headwind. Yesterday must have been downhill.

Also, don’t adjust the gear lever height using the connector rod adjusters or you won’t be able to put it in first gear as this adjusts the rod length. Has to be done on the splined connector at the top instead.

Otherwise, I continue to be delighted by the T7. I did a fair bit of traffic work today including filtering between lines of cars. The T7 is really easy to ride and agile for this sort of thing. Lovely. Yet at motorway speeds it just sits there very happily, nice and stable. Yamaha have pulled off something very good with this bike.
    Benduro, CCitis, Don T and 5 others like this.
  20. powder85

powder85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not using them in the tests but I will definitely do for my vacation tour. Still wondering if I should remove the windshield, if I stand up the air comes clean to the head and no buffeting.