Yamaha T700 Tenere owners thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BDG, Jul 17, 2019.

1. goldentaco

goldentaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Naw. It'll skid briefly if you enter corner quick and jab the rear brake. Not as controlled as if ABS were off. I usually get it when downshifting and braking into a corner.

J
  2. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first time I felt the abs working it felt like I was skidding my boot on the gravel. I have forgotten to turn mine off more than I’ve remembered on gravel and if it’s hard packed the abs doesn’t come on unless braking hard.
    I do wish you could turn it off while moving or turn it off and have it stay off until switched back on. Not resetting when the key or killswitch is turned off and back on.
    The only time it doesn’t reset is if the sidestand switch cuts off the motor .
  3. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spark plug socket put on backwards works.
    klebs01 and MCGMB like this.
  4. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    See post #5977...
  5. BaddAndy

BaddAndy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See post 5976. Apparently you don't ride offroad with the ABS on sliding the rear around corners.
  6. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    PXL_20210926_130027084.jpg
    Had to capture this little milestone on the commute to work this morning
    MVI, 5001craig, boboneleg and 11 others like this.
  7. joenuclear

Oddometer:
    Apparently, your reading comprehension is not working either.

The purpose of ABS is to stop the wheel from sliding. If it's sliding it's not working as designed.
    Benduro likes this.
  8. Meet@Trudys

[email protected] Hoser

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend a replacement handlebar similar to OEM, with even less sweep? I went to the Protaper Evo Adventure low, big step in the wrong direction. Thanks and cheers.
    Benduro likes this.
  9. Snarfblatt

Snarfblatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this was mentioned that a Acerbis fuel tank is now available for the T7

…at least in theory. Does anyone know where one is available for purchase?

I figure the full difference in weight is only about 6.3lbs Immediately after a fresh fuel up (I believe the tank 3.3lbs lighter but the gas is about 9.6lbs heavier).

The extra 1.6 gallons gives me almost a 300 mile range instead of about 215 miles.

I haven’t committed to doing yet, but I kind of feel like it’s worth it. But I got a find one to buy first. lol
    norton73, madrider5150 and simmons1 like this.
  10. joenuclear

Oddometer:
    Adam Quarles
    ACERBIS USA Customer Service Manager says " We are going to do a 5.8 gal tank for that bike in black. We have them on order with Acerbis Italy, but no confirmed eta on when they will be in stock. Best case would be late October. Unfortunately we only allow dealers and distributors to backorder items, so if you are going to purchase the tank direct, you will have to wait until they are in stock. Please let me know if you need any additional information or if you have any other questions." on 16Aug21.
    They are available from Acerbis Italy now if you pay to ship. If I buy one I'll go through them to get a clear one.
    norton73, madrider5150 and Snarfblatt like this.
  11. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Are you getting rid of them? I'm thinking about getting another for my DRZ..
  12. BaddAndy

BaddAndy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) doesn't stop it from skidding if you intentionally want it to slide around a corner on dirt. ABS releases pressure when the brake locks. So, when you lock the brake and start a slide on dirt, it will relieve pressure, just as you would if you rode dirt, and the slide will continue around the corner. If you knew how to ride in dirt.
  13. 97707

97707 addicted to placebos

Oddometer:
    The T7 rear axle nut is in a recess in the swing arm, with not much sticking out to get a crescent wrench to grip. If the nut is on tight, you're more likely to round off the flats than loosen the nut.

I found that out the hard way, in the bush with only an adjustable.

IMG_3958.JPG

No special tools needed other than a 27mm socket, and the handle for it. If no 27mm available, a 1 1/8" will do.

14. Benduro

Benduro L.A. face with the Oakland booty Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wrists are so arthritic and jacked up from a bunch of breaks and some surgeries. I have to run the straightest bars I can. I also like as low as possible for control.
    The Renthal fatbars in McGrath bend are the straightest I can find. Some of the KTM Neken bars are really straight too.

20200821_182814.jpg

20200821_165948.jpg

20200821_182804.jpg

20200801_153644.jpg

Most manufacturers (ProTaper, Neken, Tag metals, Renthal, etc) have a chart available online where they have all their models with all relevant dimensions side by side for comparison.

Width, rise, sweep, clamp area width, control area width, etc.

It's very useful.
    VO1MX and [email protected] like this.
  15. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seeing your load of bikes and bits Benduro, I see that I'm not the only one with more wheels than fingers.
    Kyouma and Benduro like this.
  16. Benduro

Benduro L.A. face with the Oakland booty Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the left half of the garage.
  17. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Do you find with the straighter bars you need something to pull them back towards you when sitting?

Mike
    Benduro likes this.
  18. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    That's funny, with my jacked up wrists, shoulders, I need the opposite, more rise and sweep.
    Peter1969 likes this.
  19. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    Got some more dirt under her. Suspension feels most at home when you up the pace in the tougher stuff. Likes to cruise at 80.
  20. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer: