Yamaha T700 Tenere owners thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BDG, Jul 17, 2019.

1. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    I can see Mcmann's pic but yours arent showing up?
  2. Aleksandar_the_Great

Aleksandar_the_Great Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200403_143904-01.jpeg IMG_20200403_154551-01.jpeg
    oldoval and madrider5150 like this.
  3. tokyo

tokyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! That's just how I want to set mine up someday except with Shinko 705's for light gravel and dirt.

It'll be interesting to see how the fender comes out.

I think I might like to black out the skid/belly plate with those black wheels..
    Aleksandar_the_Great likes this.
  4. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    May I suggest considering Avon Trailriders? Better on the road, particularly wet roads and equally average on the gravel. I'm a fan of the 705's but they are not a fan of wet, greasy, roads.
    tokyo, lithodave and madrider5150 like this.
  5. powder85

powder85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats, it looks great!

Have you considered the geometry change by setting the same wheel diameter front/rear from stock 21/18?
    I'm no expert but it looks like you should compensate somehow. Lowering the forks on the triples until flush doesn't seem like enough.

6. TheMuffinMan54

TheMuffinMan54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The email makes perfect sense if you know anything about how the logistics system works. They don’t know if the T700 will be affected because those bikes are likely already built, so it’s not production that’s the problem, it’s the distribution. All Yamaha product coming into Canada has to pass through Yamaha HQ in Toronto, meaning the bikes have to pass through the Panama Canal and up the east coast. Nobody knows for certain if the canal will remain open or not, or if goods from certain countries are going to be restricted. Are docking and unloading of the ships going to be delayed? Do the bikes themselves have to be quarantined for a certain period of time? Don’t forget it’s an all new model for North American market, so it has to pass transport Canada certification before it can be sold. Are any of those departments still working? Are they classified as “essential service”? Then Yamaha Canada has to physically put compliance labels on every bike before sending them to dealers...are those guys even still working?

Too many unknowns at this point. And you expect them to be able to give you an exact delivery date? Give your head a shake. There are bigger problems in the world right now.
  7. ScorpionT16

ScorpionT16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I expect them to give an honest answer whether it will be delayed or not, clearly the answer is yes it will be. I called the dealer i ordered from today and they said it is not, yet is, said it should come July/August, I said we were told by the rep when we ordered end of May/June, so it is delayed. He said no, its not, it was always July/August and I was mis-informed. This is what i mean, all these dates were prior to the world current events. They gave early dates to start so people could order knowing it will be here before season, I completely understand if it won't anymore, all I ask for is transparency, they didn't even disclose to the dealers or people who pre-ordered the factory is closed and there is a 2 month delay. Heck I bought some cheap stuff on amazon and got a delay notification and honest answer asap, without even asking and understand. This is a $14.5k purchase people are committing to and should be in the loop of.

Yamaha has sent many new bikes to Canada before the T7 and knows an estimate on how long it takes to do everything you described. Pre world events right now, they have no excuse for not giving a somewhat accurate timeframe, now, I understand things are very different.
  8. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Ffs get over it, go buy another bike or ride what you have

lithodave likes this.
  9. ScorpionT16

Oddometer:
    Easy to say cause you guys already got them, nor do you understand what some of us here have planned to do with the T7, our financial commitments and business ventures planned around it, I'm over it dw. I wont be an owner anytime soon this year, so not sure why I'm even in the owners thread
  10. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    do you think we had dates ?
  11. ScorpionT16

Oddometer:
    There were timeframes. Anyway, like mentioned by @TheMuffinMan54, there are bigger problems now than this, and it can be worked around, I wish the best for all vs possessing any material goods. I'm just frustrated at the nature of communication from my dealer and Yamaha on this bike from the day the deposit was placed. Honda has been spot on with the past bikes I bought, and the new 2020 AT is already in showrooms here. I've worked for start-ups releasing products manufactured abroad, with CE certifications and all needed, and kickstarted campaigns, and always given an accurate month/week of delivery to buyers years in advance, apart from one product which was delayed 3 months due to app delays in testing, and we communicated that very well, on something worth just $200. I shall put it to rest and hope for the best in these times for everyone.
    lithodave likes this.
  12. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    I might Polyester powder coat the belly pan to make it look the same as the wheels.. Haven't thought about this yet.. Wanted to make sure everything works first...
  13. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    Haven't considered this yet.. In the near future will have to change the rear spring for my weight and set up the bike... It is very stable as far as I have tested... As far as I understand it that's why you convert to 17 front to get instant response on turn in and as long as it doesn't affect stability it should be fine..
    No expert here so I am not the best to answer this but I'm happy with how it performs at the moment.
    Aleks
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  14. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Changing from 21/18 to 17/17 - rear drop is about half an inch, front is 2 inches, but not exactly as you have to calculate the actual drop on the vertical plane and not on the angle of the forks which is where the 2 inches is removed.
    Some ancient greek guy calculated these sorts of thing in his bath back in the day, and we learned about it in school...about a hundred years ago.

[​IMG]

Anyone remember how to calculate A, if you remove 2 inches from C ?
    We may need to know the angle between A and C.
  15. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Fork angle is 24.8 degrees
    Length of C can be any length, so let's use 40
    That would make length of A = 36.31

Now change C to 38 (swap 21" wheel to a 17" wheel)
    Length of A changes to 34.496

The difference is 1.814"

So you now have a drop in the front end of 1.814", and a drop in the rear end of 1/2" - which changes your geometry slightly by dropping the front more than the rear.
    If you really want to rebalance the geometry of the motorbike, you would need to drop the fork tubes down in their holders by 1.314" (33.4mm) - effectively raising the front end.

Online photos suggest there may be some adjustment possible, looks like maybe 20mm of room left on the fork tubes.
    [​IMG]
  16. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing this... 33mm is not achievable.. Online photos are not accurate.. I would say 10 15 mm of room left. Here a picture of my new fender setup. IMG_20200404_115604.jpg
  17. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Do you have access to a drill press?
    Cut a piece of flat bar and drill 3 holes - instant bracket to lower your front fender.
    Exactly how you have it in your photo, but with a piece of flat bar between the fender and fork protectors.
    Do like the Rolling Stones and paint it black.
  18. Heipaal

Heipaal Always the hard way

Oddometer:
    Not to bad!!!
  19. TheMuffinMan54

TheMuffinMan54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it’s up to the dealers to interpret messages like that and inform the customer as they see fit. Some will give an honest answer, some will give a BS one. Seems like yours is one of the latter.

Keep in mind that message was (allegedly) directed to American dealers, and the American deliveries were always expected to be 1-2 months behind the Canadian ones. Some more food for thought (and to better explain my previous point): I worked for a Yamaha MX race team in Canada for 3 seasons, we always received our next-model year YZFs in August/early September. All of these bikes had a manufacturing date of April/May, meaning Yamaha’s timeline from factory floor to dealer floor is about 3 months. And that was for a competition model, with no emissions or DOT compliance hurdles to jump through on import...it could be even longer for a road bike like the T7.

Where am I going with this? Well if their original target date for delivery was May/June (let’s just call it June), then those bikes would have to have been rolling off the assembly line in February/March, so at least some of the N/A destined T7s should have been built prior to any COVID related shutdowns.
    lithodave and ScorpionT16 like this.
  20. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer: