Yamaha TDM Riders

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by BuellDualSport, Sep 28, 2005.

1. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's bloody beautiful
  2. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive just recently bought an es tenere and still have my 08 TDM. Its got over the tonne in k's and still gives me a buzz after 9 years. It was my first bike ever and set in stone the things I like in 270degree bikes.
    I spent 4 years with an ST1300 and well it did the miles and had plenty of power...but no soul.
    back to now and Im really enjoying the Tenere and I was very pleased to feel the bike has what lights my fire.

I'll keep my TDM and convert it back to a road bike. maybe a nice paint job like that one above.
    As I see it. Im in a great place with both bikes.

Not sure what "real vertical twins means? or hip. Yamaha have been making these things a long time. If your not happy move it on.
  3. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Hello,hello Fayeslane here.............................. Relax blokes the discs are centred in the calipers.:thumb The photo is a poofteenth off centre and therefore misleading.
  4. Graffig

Graffig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Jim - just considering buying a 95 TDM 850 - how do you (did you?) find your one - planning a trip up north to Ullapool in a couple of weeks - do you find it has enough power on the motorway etc - thanks in advance for any advice :)
  5. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    I haven't got the 850 any longer, sold it earlier in the year, but yes, IMO there's plenty of power for Motorway riding -it'll cruise at 80, no bother. Check out www.carpe-tdm.net (UK based TDM forum), there's loads of info on there and free to drop me a PM if you want more specific info :thumb
  6. Graffig

Graffig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perfect Jim - thank you so much for the info and for getting back to me . Appreciatee it
  7. Graffig

Graffig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would anyone know where I can purchase a tank bag for a MK1 TDM 850 here in the UK? Collecting bike possibly at the weekend and have a big of a trek up the road - thanks again
  8. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    You could try Saltire Motorcycles on Gorgie Road in Edinburgh, or there's J&S Accessories in Hamilton or Glasgow?
  9. Graffig

Graffig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim - will call them tomorrow to see if anything suitable - see they have the Oxford tank bag but looking for something a little smaller initially - many thanks again :)
  10. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    My low flying TDM's "Jet Stream" through the Flinders Ranges, South Australia.

""
    PaydayGabe likes this.
  11. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
  12. PaydayGabe

PaydayGabe It's never a DAMN tail wind !

Oddometer:
    Hey there brewer, , obviously your not very fearful of traveling fast on dirt w/your TDM. I've read that some genius's thought the TDM's ride like shite on dirt/gravel. So what's your tricks for suspension/tyres?
    I have a 92 mk1 that I'd like to make a little more off-road worthy.
    Thanks for your thoughts, G, in Vegas..
    masterbrewer likes this.
  13. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    I have always thought that the TDM is a terrific gravel and mixed surfaces bike. Even with street tires...
    AdvRich and masterbrewer like this.
  14. Graffig

Graffig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wonderful masterbrewer! :)
    masterbrewer likes this.
  15. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    G'day TDM Gabe :thumb
    Like Slipchip says, mine was good straight out of the box :wings..... err shed. :augie
    Just be aware of where you push the boundaries.... and who is watching :hide :lol3

Modifications:
    . ADJUST TYRE PRESSURES FOR ROAD CONDITIONS/SURFACE ( approx average F 24 R 32 ) higher or lower for black top, gravel or sand.
    . lowered footpegs (home made) for ease of standing on pegs with dicky knees :kurt
    . fitted engine protection, side & bottom.
    . slight increase in front fork oil level. (with standard springs)
    . set up sag etc according to book, then adjust slightly for your own riding preference (ie for slower or faster steering)
    . I was fortunate to find a Ohlins rear .... read the appropriate shocker manufacturer's manual (usually available online) not hard to set up for differing conditions.
    ........... I have 3 settings: 1. Blacktop & easy riding dirt :ricky 2. Leading a big bike group :webers 3. Demoralising the young kids :D
    . current tyres F Michelin Sirac 120/80 x 18 R Mitas E-09 Dakar 140/80 x 17. So far 5,000km down and rear looks only half worn. :deal
    I personally found the 140 size rear improved directional stability.

I think that should put a bigger smile on your face. :clap

Good luck & Safe riding.

Cheers
    MB

PS I will be uploading more off road TDM videos soon and you'll be surprised where she easily goes :super
  16. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    To confirm my status as "The Mad Aussie from Downunder" who rides a TDM Offroad :ricky :lol3

(Filmed in 1080HD)
  17. PaydayGabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brewer for the reply. Great videos.
    I completely overhauled the front end last year w/great results. The redhead came to me w/an Ohlin rear shock:clap, yeah ! So suspension is good to go. Tyres would be the most obvious upgrade from here.
    In the U.S. everything for the TDM is almost unobtainable :nah. Such a shame.
    Anyway, I can always go UK for bits if I need to. I love this machine, , brings a great smile to me face every ride:ricky. If you know any good aftermarket suppliers, where ever they are located, could you pass them on to us yanks.
    And ride safe yourself . Cheers, G.:photog
  18. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
  19. PaydayGabe

Oddometer:
    Good copy on that sir, thank you. G.
  20. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really wish we could have gone for a blast when you visited MB. You've seen our roads..

Concur all of the above for gravel set up. Not only does the 140 add agility it seems to hook up a little better. Suspension defo needs twiddling. I had to adjust my shock when I fitted T30's which was detrimental on gravel, the bike chatters over ripples. Being lazy I compensate by going a little quicker rather than adjust the shock. Some decent footrests would be nice.

The one gravel issue I have never managed to cure is the massive tank slapper I get if I hit deep gravel too fast. It feels like their is a hinge in the frame. Startling. Again, in my low effort style, I compensate by carrying spare underwear.

Oh, engine protection should be considered. I've blasted a lot of paint off mine.