Yamaha TDM Riders

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by BuellDualSport, Sep 28, 2005.

1. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    G'day HK, how's it hangin' :super

Re Tyres: I was surprised how much a 140 size rear tyre improved stability & handling so well ........ 150 TKC's were the worst, skittish as hell.

Coming back over to "The Land of the Long White Cloud" / "Middle Earth" in November this year for 3 weeks to ride "Southern Earth" :lol3 starting from Wellington :rayof

KymW was joining me again, but it is touch & go whether he will fit enough after overshooting a corner & doing a headstand off his bike in March, unconscious for over 10 minutes on the side of the road... fingers crossed.

Cheers
    MB
  2. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
  3. PaydayGabe

PaydayGabe It's never a DAMN tail wind !

Oddometer:
    G'day MB or Harvey . Hope your well.
    Here's what I'm thinkin :hmmmmm. The particular tires you previously mentioned are difficult to get in the U.S. Sirac= not in the U.S..
    Mitas E09= so so, but $$$.
    I'm really leaning towards a Shinko705/ 120/80-18 f, and Shinko 805/ 140/80-17 r.
    I've had both on a 012 Vstrom and they were great on road but with very limited offroad use. Plus they're very reasonably priced. Shoot me your thoughts/ opinions please. And anyone else reading this thread. Thanks a bunch, G, in Vegas.
  4. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    Sorry N.F.I. with those brands. :dunno

All you can do is try them & see. Don't forget to play with tire pressures.

Remember the ol' saying... "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one" :photog

To quote: "I've read that some genius's thought the TDM's ride like shite on dirt/gravel." :hmmmmm :fpalm
  5. PaydayGabe

Oddometer:
    Ha, , "and no one wants to hear it". :beerLol, exactly. Adjusting my air pressure as we speak, , oh yes:jack.
    :hmmmmmhmm, that's a great quote. Sounds familiar. Lol, good fun.
    Anyway, , the 705 shinko705_dual_sport_tires_zoom.jpg and the 805. shinko804805_big_block_adventure_touring_tires_150701769_q_zoom.jpg Cheers mate, ✌.
  6. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My thoughts.......... Had a 705 rear on the MKII, 150. It was no real advantage over a sport touring tire on gravel and not as capable on wet roads with tar overbanding, crossing white lines in the wet etc. Not bad but these irregularities could make it twitch. Otherwise just fine on tar seal. They go hard before they wear out. Excellent bang for your buck unless you do high tarseal speeds heavily loaded, they have been known to start de-laminating. Never had the problem myself under those circumstances.

A 140 rear will cut through gravel more efficiently to find grip and at a lower pressure, say mid/low 30's psi, they perform better than you would expect. I know a rider down here who has them on his XR 400, he trail rides on them at quite low pressures. Proper rock climbing, stream crossing, gully bashing trail riding. He's used them for years...

Ultimately the TDM will spin any tire on gravel unless your doing 80kmh+. I'm back on sport touring tires for gravel.. Sucker for punishment.

I would avoid a 120 front like the plague, larger surface area for the marbles to roll under.... Mixed with a slightly knobbie rear could make for an interesting ride. Same as the rear, a narrower profile will grip quicker when it gets through the gravel. On the brakes.

Speaking of which...... Braking, for me, is the aspect of gravel riding I pay the most attention too on the TDM. I had my 705 rear paired with a Pirelli MT90AT, 110, front, a great tire in some respects, (sticks like shit to the blanket on wet roads) but has a flat profile which made it sledge when leaning on the brakes. My T30 road tire front has a more rounded, steeper, profile and performs just as adequately on gravel. Surprising I know but bear in mind the grip is under the gravel.

Enough rambling, the 140 Mitas would not set you wrong on gravel, narrow with good edge grip which is where it's needed but any 120 front, yeah, na. The Mitas will not last long.
    Have you had a look at the Heidenau Scouts? IIRC they do a 110 front for the TDM. Similar tech to the Shinkos (hard wearing, very little silica) with good edge grip and big block tread pattern for the road. Cheap, too. You may even get a matching pair.

I hope this helps a little, like MB I kinda just get on and ride it. Having said that I feel the same way about all my bikes I ride on gravel. Skinny tires are good, wide tires are, er, scary.
  7. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    quinn.mclean likes this.
  8. PaydayGabe

Oddometer:
    Afternoon MBrewer. Was just wondering if you have done any mods to the front fender/ rear hugger to allow the fitment of the OR tyres? And if so, how'd you do it?
    Do you get any mud packing at those areas? When you have rain. Of course. :thumbup
    Thanks, G.
  9. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    G'day G,
    Yeah I discarded the original and made one to suit. Where the original fitted to the forks, I made an alloy fork brace and bolted the new mudguard to it. Can't remember what it came off, I just know it had a larger arc for better clearance.
    Mud is generally OK, but clay has locked both front & rear wheels at speed on one ride...... interesting experience to say the least. There were photos of the clay locked wheels on the Lake Guardner Speed Trial report before photobucket removed them. Another clay ride I had to remove the front guard to keep going. Haven't done anything to the rear.
    Rarely ride clay if I can help it now ..... memories
    Fork brace has done its job.
    Goodluck.
  10. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    Make sure you don't visit me in the winter....... I've clogged my trials bike front completely, might as well have been welded solid. On the same trail, same place, last weekend I minced my left hand on a tree stump due to clay clogging and it's teflon grip effect. Still, better than just thinking about riding.
    masterbrewer likes this.
  11. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
  12. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    Just modded an air filter by replacing the element $15 as opposed to $50 for OEM filter. Used in a Nissan 300ZX so should flow plenty of air. Fits pretty much straight in after removing old element and associated plastic. Used hot melt glue to secure it. Use a torch in a dark space to check for integrity of the seal.​
    IMG_20170927_131927.jpg
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  13. NYTrainer

NYTrainer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Shinko 705 on rear & Avon Distanzia front. Gravel roads are the limit for mine. No real off-road on this bike. I have crash bars & factory skid plate, but '92 plastics are too pricey & hard to find!
  14. supamanaint

supamanaint when in doubt - power out

Oddometer:
    The Riverina NSW / The Hunter NSW / SE Qld
    WP_20151025_005.jpg
    AdvRich and fayeslane like this.
  15. supamanaint

Oddometer:
    SAM_4835.JPG Just ignore that one at the back ok.
    AdvRich, fayeslane and Butters like this.
  16. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    Can't be unseen now :-)
  17. supamanaint

Oddometer:
    ["]Can't be unseen now :-)[/QUOTE]

I think that German is wondering what those Japanese twins are up to next.

The shed door is down so you don't see the one from ....... the dark side :bmwrider.
    fayeslane likes this.
  18. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    lol, a Bavarian squint. Great shot.
    supamanaint likes this.
  19. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    Oz has mountains........................

tdm hotham.jpg
    supamanaint likes this.
  20. supamanaint

Oddometer:
    Oz has utes , lots of utes even ute art............

SAM_4647.JPG
    fayeslane likes this.