Yamaha TDM Riders

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by BuellDualSport, Sep 28, 2005.

1. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    @supamanaint are you running Angel GTs? If so how many kms are you getting out of them? I ran them and thought they were an excellent handling tyre but the sides of the front were worn down after 3K kms and the rear not far behind. Running PR4s now, they are good, not as much fun as the GTs, but will have more than twice the life
  2. supamanaint

supamanaint when in doubt - power out

Oddometer:
    The Riverina NSW / The Hunter NSW / SE Qld

Hi fayeslane,
    Yep Angel GT's just love em, great in wet , dry and better than PR4s in the dirt (imo) but........ front cups up a bit (maybe because I brake late into the corners) and the rears take a hiding. I have got 8000km out of a set (yep F & R gone at same time) and it would be a lot less if I was down your way all the time :-), but in general they last between 4000 to 6000ish km.
    To be fair the rear tyre size is for 650cc bikes that don't have the grunt of the TDM especially in the fun zone 4-6k :D.
    I have PR4's on my 02 (silver) TDM and while very good they just aren't the same.
    Need a new set on the black TDM and may stick with the Angle GT's, they have saved my arse more than once.
    How did you mount your light bar under the lights, cheers.

Shane
    fayeslane likes this.
  3. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    No science was used in the making of this mount :D

IMG_20171124_220136_658.jpg
    supamanaint likes this.
  4. SUBCASTLE

SUBCASTLE n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi TDM riders!
    Some time ago I finded photo of big windschield for TDM 2. Do you nkow who makes this windschields? I want to buy it. But I don't know where is to buy. 3dNmB8vBVyQ.jpg 7xNPVIAIXVE.jpg
  5. woersdorfdonkey

woersdorfdonkey n00b

Oddometer:
    2C8A2578-834A-450F-90C9-35F47E0A52F3.jpeg 5418AE12-5014-4A3B-8AE3-08F254FD5CD9.jpeg on my way back from the Australian “Island Classic 2018 “ - plenty of dirt fire trails and some 1300km days — the “ TeDiuM” does it all for a fraction of the cost of a bloody GS :-)
    AdvRich, supamanaint and fayeslane like this.
  6. JohnnyR6

JohnnyR6 n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking for advice with my 900.
    This has probably been asked loads...
    I'm looking at new tyres (in the UK). Road tyres are fine to source but for something for a little off road use I'm struggling. I've found metzler tourance tyres but the front is a 120/80 and the rear is a 150.
    Anyone used these sizes? Does it handle ok and grip well on the road?

Thanks, Johnny.
  7. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    Have used them on other bikes and they are very good on road fine for light off roading. Did a heap of gravel roads on PR4s at road pressures on the weekend, the TDM is a competent off road tourer :clap Off road oriented tyres are icing on the cake.

20180217_104514.jpg
  8. JohnnyR6

JohnnyR6 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I don't expect to be doing much just some gravel roads.
  9. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a bunch of leftover parts from a TDM850 engine I want to clear out. It had a bad crank that was welded and reground by a well-known race shop. The rest of the stuff is old and ratty. I was going to bring it to the scrap metal place. But if anyone makes it worth my time and needs anything, I'd rather share the wealth. PM me with anything you need.
    All parts are from a 1992 U.S. spec bike.
  10. AdvRich

AdvRich Long Time SmugMug Patron/Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Rich,

Looks like some spell check chop in the first sentence, but it sounds like you’re clearing out parts otherwise headed to the scap bin.
    Do you have a clean (no rd rash, paint flake) stator cover?

Thanks,
    Rich
  11. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Rich,
    Yeah that was a mess, I cleaned it up. Stupid phone and such. I mean it could not be me.:rofl
    I am not sure. I will check and let you know, but it may be a few days until I am back to the garage.
    ~Rich
  12. AdvRich

AdvRich Long Time SmugMug Patron/Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool, all good, no rush.
  13. brooks

brooks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What parts are you getting rid of exactly?
  14. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    I have not sorted them, but just about all of and engine in pieces, minus the cylinder.
    Honestly if someone is local and I do not have to ship, it is not for sale, but free. But if I need to box, label, ship, post office, time is money. So I need a bit for doing that, but not looking to make money.
  15. mwoods

mwoods Back for more adventures

Oddometer:
    I’ll take the lot for spares. I’m an hour or so north of nyc, so I could pick it up. If there is a clean stator cover in the lot, advrich can get it from me sometime.
  16. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    "Sold" though likely can't meet up until after spring break. So after April 9th. I'll send you a PM.
  17. Sneeze Juice

Sneeze Juice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in the US and considering a 92 for a daily commuter. Just realized these were sold here briefly in 92, and 93 and find them kinda cool. Seems like it could be a solid daily commuter...

The heaviest bikes I’ve owned were an Aprilia Falco and Ducati St4. This appears to be heavier? Crazy...

Does this actually feel like a heavy bike in person? Only asking as I would have to travel a few hundred miles to the nearest one for sale...
  18. rc mad

rc mad Physycotic gecko

Oddometer:
    I have a 98 tdm 850 and duke st4s. I think they are about the same at slow speeds, tdm has the edge in manoeuvrability due to the wider bars and it seems to carry its weight quite low down .
    Sneeze Juice likes this.
  19. mwoods

mwoods Back for more adventures

Oddometer:
    I have ridden a Duc ST3, but not a 4. In my opinion, the TDM does feel a bit heavier, but as RC said, they carry weight low, and handle well.
  20. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doodle corner?

Toilet stop?

As for weight... Yep, the TDM's are a little portly but quite agile and easy to handle. I practice moto gymkhana on my MkII and it's happy getting flicked around at full lock. Wide bars make direction changes easy and it's stable, I managed to creep about 50mtrs in traffic yesterday with my feet up and speedo needle not moving at all. The driver behind must have had a laugh, though. It was a bit wobbly.
    fayeslane likes this.