Yamaha TDM Riders

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BuellDualSport, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really nice to see all these MKI's on the road.
  2. Steinbergs

Steinbergs n00b

Oddometer:
    mra touring screen for 3vd, is it worth? Will it decrease wind buffeting? Hate that fighting with wind
  3. GaNewGuy

GaNewGuy n00b

Oddometer:
    Hoping this is the right place to ask this question, my apologies if it is not. I have been looking at getting into bikes again and have been leaning towards dual sport type bikes. It's been a long time since I concerned myself with bikes so don't know much about them. Came across a 1992 TDM 850 with 79k miles on it. Wondering if this would be a bike worth pursuing and what kind of value it would have? Owners claims the carb has been rebuilt recently, new plugs, fluids, tires look decent, however, front looks like a dirt tire and the rear looks like what I see on most dual sport bikes.
  4. Foil

Foil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Bought one of these a while back. Although the construction is cheap as can be, it works as intended. I'm 6f, so the stock screen (givi?) puts the wind across the middle of my helmet, making dual sport helmets a pain in the neck (ah!).

With the extension the wind goes over the peak by an inch or so. Much more comfortable and a bit less noise as well.

A bike that old and possibly worn might not make a good primary motorcycle. Especially if it's seen a lot of high load, low speed dirt riding.

I own a 92 with 86,000km and I really enjoy the bike, however an old bike with some k's on with usually isn't a trouble free experience.
  5. lithodave

lithodave brachy850

Oddometer:
    These aren't really proper dual sport machines. If you want to do dirt and off road they are undersprung, etc. But. I have one and love it. Very reliable long legged backroad traveller. I have 48k miles on mine and have had it 6 years.
  6. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    A 92? I would be wanting to have a really close inspection and test ride. As you would for any bike that age.

My 98 MKII has about 80'000km's on it and is used extensively on gravel. As lithodave says you find the limit of the suspension when you start to get carried away but they are really easy to ride on gravel roads, way better than I would have expected. Some kind of Yamaha voodoo.

Despite the abuse I have had no reliability issues. Regular servicing, keeping an eye on the oil level (must have been an Arab engineer on the team) and carb servicing as required is all I do. Not sure about MKI's but my model wears the emulsion tubes over time.

Mis-matched tyres are not unusual, the 18" front limits choice.

A MKI was ridden from the UK to NZ without problem and I believe no engine work was done until over 180'000 miles.
  7. Marto71

Marto71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The tdm's have a bit of a cult following and anyone that's owned one for a while will tell you they enjoyed having it, read back on this thread and visit http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/ it's a great source of info and help with issues.
    It might be an old bike and old bikes can have niggles but if you take a chance on it I'll bet you won't be dissapointed.
  8. Foil

Foil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Undersprung and not a lot of ground clearance. I've had a couple of knocks going along easy dirt roads.
  9. GaNewGuy

GaNewGuy n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses. Checked prices I am wondering if it's way overpriced for that kind of mileage. Talked to him and he is wanting $1700 for it.
  10. PaydayGabe

PaydayGabe It's never a DAMN tail wind !

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the fold.
    I purchased my 92 Mk1 several years back for $2300us w/ 49k+miles. It was in great shape then. I've extensively serviced this machine over the years because I truly love the bike.
    Always makes me smile.
    The $1700 price is a little steep considering that milage, , unless, unless the PO has all service records and receipts for everything done so you can go in with a clear head. If you're not DIY handy it will be expensive and dealer service won't touch it.
    As a returning rider, , it might be a good idea to look at a newer machine (whatever brand) w/ less issues to resolve.
    You want to ride, not wrench. Right.. Good luck with your search. G.
  11. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to get down to one bike. The one bike will be my 650 thumper, so I put the TDM up for sale: https://advrider.com/f/threads/1993-yamaha-tdm850-washington-dc-area.1406752/

I love the bike, but it sits way too much. If it doesn't sell, I may just "winterize" it and store it until my riding situation changes. I don't feel like I am sitting on a pile of money, so it won't kill me to keep it. But hopefully there is a TDM fan out there who will ride the snot out of it.
    Outback2 likes this.
  12. Outback2

Outback2 Many confuse Kindness with Stupidity, not me.

Oddometer:
    My '91. 3vd. 20190916_140702.jpg
  13. Foil

Foil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At 87,500km I checked my valve clearances (and replaced a leaky valve cover gasket)

[​IMG]

Which is a major pain in ass.

The exhaust side is perfect, but the intakes (which apparently is common on these engines) closed up a bit.

Right now they at 0.10 0.10 0.10 (thight) - 0.10 0.10 (tight) 0.10

So, new pads are in order.

Since I really didn't want to mess with the cams without my manual cam tensioner arriving in the mail I'll probably pick up this kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Cams-3...ments-from-1-50-1-75mm-9-48mm-OD/352433368825

and do it all at once.
  14. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Don’t forget to cable tie the cam chain tightly to the cam sprockets - it saves a lot of time later on. How do I know that? ;)
  15. AdvRich

AdvRich Long Time SmugMug Patron/Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally decided to let mine go. Lots of great memories. Just posted it in the FM.
    EF7F6DC8-6D10-4705-906F-2EF573496BD7.jpeg
    PaydayGabe and Marto71 like this.
  16. lithodave

lithodave brachy850

Oddometer:
    selling mine when I replace with a T700. Great memories too.
    AdvRich, SlipChip and Harvey Krumpet like this.
  17. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    I have to admit I may be doing the same. Or extend the shed.
  18. PaydayGabe

PaydayGabe It's never a DAMN tail wind !

Oddometer:
    Rich, , that is a beautiful example .
    I hope it goes to a very deserving individual whom appreciates a classic machine as much as we do.
    Good luck with your sale.
    Please give me the skinny one how you mounted the Givi (model number) rack. I have a 47L on my S10 and would love to swap it between the two bikes. Thanks,, G.
    AdvRich likes this.
  19. AdvRich

AdvRich Long Time SmugMug Patron/Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    The PO mounted that with some stainless bent into shapes that precisely nestled into the rack openings and directly attached to the stock rear handrail. If you zoom/enlarge the photo you can see them. I was going to paint them black to match the rack, but never got around to it, mostly because I had a box or bag mounted. It is rock solid as is the rear handrail.
  20. kyotoviking

kyotoviking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Long time no see. I just decided to buy the new Tenere 700, and ride my TDM900 around the world (one month every summer). 2020 Japan-Norway, 2021 Norway-Portugal, 2022 Newfoundland-Alaska, and after that I don't know. Open to suggestions. Cheers. IMG_20180501_234924_972.jpg