Yamaha TDM Riders

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BuellDualSport, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You shame my bike @tuscan. Your bike looks mint!

I have done nothing to the suspension other than service the forks.

The settings are soft for gravel, at my pace it's smooth over corrugations. Wallows around if I get to enthusiastic on the tar seal.
  2. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stock can't be that bad then if you've done 80,000kms on yours.

I hate riding it off road though - I can just feel the crunch of plastics when it all goes wrong - so mines for 100% tar seal duties. Thanks for the compliments - I always thought this model looked the sharpest.

Thanks Neppi - I'll give them a call.
    Harvey Krumpet likes this.
  3. poppykle

poppykle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 900 was hard and bouncy when I got it. I waited a few months to get used to it and identify what I wanted. Took it in for a suspension set up, sag, rebound damping etc. It made a world of difference (mind you I don't really ride off road) The rear shock can be rebuilt and you could upgrade the front springs for not a lot. $120 for the service was probably the best bang for buck I have ever spent.
    Harvey Krumpet and tuscan like this.
  4. PaydayGabe

PaydayGabe It's never a DAMN tail wind !

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous Tuscan :raabia, blue mmm.
    Agree totally regarding off road travel. Too rare in the States to risk it. I'm envious of the plentiful quantity the UK/EU have for this wonderful machine .
    I'm fortunate to have found mine and love it above all my other toys. 53.5k+ miles and counting.
    tuscan likes this.
  5. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    I must admit to having had a few incredibly lucid moments when things have gone pear shaped. It's a testament to the bike that gunning it and grimacing has kept it upright.
    tuscan likes this.
  6. Juvenile Senior

Juvenile Senior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello everybody,

I have just found this thread for the first time. Nice to meet you. I thaught the TDM never entered the US market. Happy to be corrected.
    I live in Germany and am a happy owner of a 4tx model 1999.

IMG_20200406_192841.jpg IMG_20200406_192747.jpg
    IMG_20200406_192820.jpg

I would be very happy if you would help me on the following problem:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/extracting-fork-seals.1443310/#post-39966422
    Thank you and see you around!
    Skunk-Works likes this.
  7. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    Only the 3vd came over , model years `92 & `93. The 92s were red and the 93s purple AFAIK...
    DSC01964.JPG
  8. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    Juvenile Senior likes this.
  9. Tiggs

Tiggs Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer:
    Hi, I’ve got a 1999 TDM850. I’m chasing wider rider foot pegs. Are there foot pegs from other bikes that fit this model? I apologise if this has already been covered, nothing came up when I searched the forum.
    Harvey Krumpet and BygDaddee like this.
  10. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    I've wanted bigger pegs for years but never bothered to follow through with measuring mounting size and angles to find some.

I shall watch with interest.
    Tiggs likes this.
  11. Binh motorbike

Binh motorbike Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    Footpegs.....

I have a had a non-conclusive squizz around the internet. Bugger all on the 850 but people have adapted pegs from S10's and XT 660's on the 900.

I can only suggest taking the measurement of the 850 footrest brackets and work out the angle they are mounted at. Carry this information and a tape measure with you at all times. If you see an S10, T7, XT or TT, sneak over and measure their pegs... If you find a match it should be relatively easy using the part number from the bike that matches, to find aftermarket pegs to fit the TDM.
  13. rtwpaddy

rtwpaddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bluesrock Delta of South-Holland - Europe
    Greetings to all,

I've already post a pic in the welcome topic, but i'm so happy.
    within 20 hours I'm on a train to pic up my next bike.
    I still have to clean up my daughters room, cause she's coming over tomorrow.
    Help me out, can't stop looking the picture :muutt:dirtdog:ace:becca:patch:devildog:confused:loco:eyes:eyes:eyes

5.JPG
    JimRidesThis, AdvRich and lithodave like this.
  14. Juvenile Senior

Oddometer:
    I am happy for you!

IMG_20200518_175903~2.jpg IMG_20200518_175951~2.jpg

Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany!
    rtwpaddy and AdvRich like this.
  15. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your new bike, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

I’ve never had a Mk2 but I’ve had two Mk1 850’s in the past and currently have an ‘04 TDM900. Cracking bikes! :thumb

I’m still constantly looking at pictures of mine and I got it over four years ago. I don’t think you have anything to worry about... yet :D

Enjoy the ride home! Don’t forget to post some pics for us :beer
    rtwpaddy likes this.
  16. rtwpaddy

rtwpaddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CA237D2E-C234-48F9-83ED-3335B731A723.JPG

here she is next to her Suzuki nephew.
    Damned, finally a honest seller on Market Place (dutch eBay).
    not one lie in the ad, just facts and what you see is what you get. But i knew that, cause i interviewed the seller limitless on the phone.
    42000 service incl valve adjustment, new brake discs incl pads, new wheels.
    bike is always parked inside, gearbox is working very smooth, practically no smoke out of exhaust at any speed or gear.
    bike is very stable, as in 160km/hour without hands :clap i didn't dear faster :) without.
    Well overall, after my 120mile trip home, i can say that i
    1. still have trust to buy a motorcycle in biker-land and
    2. i need a different steer, this one is a bit to low an a bit more to the front. i noticed a slight irritating sensation in my lower back after 'bout a hour or so. I hear good stories about Renthal steers on the tdm, are you experienced?
    3. I need also a extra windscreen. Does anyone have recommendations?
    now I'm more than happy and every time i get on or off the bike, you will see this idiot :rilla

As you can see, my trudie is very sadly standing, almost leaning in the corner. So if I'm concerned, let the rain come, so i can fix the chopper.
    Juvenile Senior likes this.
  17. Juvenile Senior

Oddometer:
    As you can see in the photos, I have this MRA high screen installed and I also extended it with a cheap spoiler from the Bay. For 20 Euro I could afford the experiment (unlike the much more expensive MRA sets or the Touratech models).
    The MRA alone blows the air strait at my face/visor, causing a lot of noise. But I am obly 176 cm tall. You may be able to sit above the stream of air.
    The spoiler is adjustable for hight and angle. Maybe you want to start with that first (I don't have the original windscreen). It is cheaper and the risk is low.
  18. rtwpaddy

rtwpaddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i'm 178, so it can be enough, MRA only.
    maybe i'll try that first. thnx
  19. Foil

Foil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, nearly a year after the fact I finally replaced the shims and the manual cam chain tensioner - I've been a bit distracted with some stuff and I only did about 1500k's in that period.

That manual tensioner quieted down the engine. A bit more than what I was expecting.

A few weeks ago I finally had a couple weeks off and did quite a bit of touring over the country. I racked up about 4000km's on the old girl.

Some on road, some off road, some on road with a pillion - and even some off road with a pillion when she wasn't quite aware of where we were going :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had three major things go wrong in this period.

My newly serviced forks leaked all their fluid at the start of the trip - I blame faulty seals. I'm waiting on new ones.

One accute puncure that coincided with a dead reg/rec. This was the most grueling thing, since I had to bumpstart the loaded bike with a complete flat about 5 or 6 times. Fortunately I carry a spare rectifier and fuel pump, since they're supposed to be the weak link on the bike.

Otherwise, the bike performed rather well. The 10€ screen extention is a life saver on the 600+km days.

I'm also looking at ways to lower the pegs. After the 3-4 hour mark my knees start suffering.

So; after all of this braggin about the great times I had ( :D ) I present a question.

What fork oil do you guys recommend? I'm about 80kg fully loaded and about 70-80% of the riding I do is without a pillion/luggage.

Should I go with the regular 10w? Maybe bump up to 15w?

Is the rear shock serviceable in any way?
  20. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great run out!

Rear shocks are serviceable, you just need to find a trusted place to do it. Post the question on www.carpe-tdm.net, there are Spanish and Portuguese owners on there who might have local inteI. I replaced my 900 rear suspension with an M-Shock - https://shock-factory.co.uk/ which seems to be okay, probably twice the price of a rebuild though. I thought it was worth it for the new componetry.

It’s a while since I had my last Mk1 so I’m a bit hazy about my fork oil choice. The Mk1 has cartridge forks which are the best of the TDM bunch (I have a set of emulators to put in my 900 this winter) - I think I might have gone up to 15w or a 50/50 mix of 10w and 15w.