Yamaha TDM Riders

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BuellDualSport, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    RedEX, Skunk-Works, SlipChip and 3 others like this.
  2. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only hit the like button because that is the tidiest MkI I've seen. Awesome job.
    Barry, Butters and AdvRich like this.
  3. Butters

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I love the bike so never really minded putting money into it. I will take quite a bath on it if I sell it, but I am really having a hard time justifying it as it simply sits in the garage.
    Harvey Krumpet likes this.
  4. Foil

Foil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man; that thing looks factory fresh.

I'll have a look around at the rear shock when I change the tires. Shouldn't be any more complicated than a dirt bike rear shock.

I'm at around 11,000km's on a bt23 rear and a t30 front and I honestly dont think they have much more life in them. There's plenty thread in both of them, but the feel went away about 1500km's ago.
    Harvey Krumpet and Butters like this.
  5. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
  6. Butters

Oddometer:
    That is a nice one. I'm confused about the comment saying the front sprocket is one tooth down for lower hwy rpms. Going down would have the opposite effect. I'm guessing it is one tooth down for a lower first gear for off road. The bike does fine on the highway with stock gearing. I can't imagine somebody going a tooth bigger.
  7. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    I run Bridgestones, bt's and now the T30's. Always been a faithful tyre to the bitter end.

We have granite chip seal road surface and the roads I ride are nicely cambered. Ride a lot of gravel, too.

I've never been close to 10'000km's on a pair, 6 - 8000km's and they are slicks.

How long have they been on the bike?

I noticed touring Europe a few years ago that the BT23's would turn a dramatic blue colour after a long fast day on motorways. They wore out before they hardened. 3 months... A big 3 months admittedly.
  8. Foil

Foil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I spooned them on myself july 2019. The rear is a bit squared, not too bad, and pretty much all the thread is still there.

They still provide grip, hence the edge wear on the rear :D - however, they don't transmit the information though the bars as they used to.

Attached Files:

9. Juvenile Senior

Juvenile Senior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own the 4tx, the secons generation TDM that is. The rear wheel hugger has an opening, a hole if you like, just where the road dirt is sprayed at the lower end of the shock.
    Anybody knows what this opening is for?
    What would be the best way to close it?
  10. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    Same on the 3VD. I have wondered about that myself. I covered mine with duct tape.
  11. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    Ditto.

I used heavy duty electrical insulation tape, virtually un-noticeable, and it's on the inside with a wee bit stuck to the sticky bit.

Reached the limit of my engineering abilities with that.

Yeah, what is the hole for?

Answers on a postcard..
  12. laurient

laurient Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sold the green
    green first pic copy.JPG

Bought the silver
    silver.jpg

First impressions " its a little low and a little quick " oh and smooth
  13. Juvenile Senior

Oddometer:
    Lay that goat on the seat and it won't be that low anymore
  14. laurient

laurient Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Came with the stock seat ( in great condition ) with a sheepskin cover and i do have a couple of sheepskins spare so i made a pad and put it under the cover , should get me 12 - 15 mm
  15. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A new TDM 900 member here.
    Picked up this puppy yesterday
    2003 (and immediately a fun fact March 13 is a date of first registration - I call it birth).
    So today 18 years old with a bit over 57k km on clocks.
    Can’t wait to get the papers done and get it on road.
    It’s going to be my multi tool for some time: commuting, short and long (hopefully) trips.
    The bike has BOS GT exhausts fitted (stock mufflers also included), small engine crashbars (not fitted on the bike but also present), raised suspension (+30mm), tinted screen (stock included), heated grips, old Zumo gps, white blinkers and led tail light (stock parts also included), steel breaded brake lines and Stahlbaus quick change oil drain valve.
    A lot of the bike for very reasonable cash.
    Now wanna change all fluids, spark plugs and front fork seals and also the left foot peg looks a bit worn out, interesting is it a pin or foot peg worn out or the mounting holes on that large plate/carrier. Chain and tyres still got some life, but will probably replace them later on, before any more or loss prolonged tour.
    And gotta figure out something with luggage. IMG_6002.jpg
    lithodave, Marto71, Butters and 4 others like this.
  16. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Looks very clean and tidy. Same colour as my own 9er.
    bigboyxl likes this.
  17. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    Sorry if i ask this before

Link to pictures
    https://patineto.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Blue-TDM/So-much-for-I-just-clean-them

I got a "just TUNE UP" 850 almost two years ago from.a shop that was closing and the onwer never pick it up after a tune up..

New battery, Nada, so i took the carbs out and they where full of "saw dust" (omechanicing very similar to it)

But i can not see why even the crumpiest of mechanics will take the time to take the tank and the airbox just to sabotage his own work

Anyway i clean then in any way possible even ultra sonic and nothing, nada, it those turn but not a single sign of life, sparkplugs are clean and bores are not wet or rusty

How do i got about it..??

It those have spark, but it will not even sputter with srarter fluid

Gracias
  18. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    Post up on http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/ if you have no luck here.

If you have spark I can only think lack of fuel, plugs wet after trying to start? The "sawdust" could be dry fuel residue. It goes like laquer and flakes, blocking up jets etc. I guess you are using fresh fuel?

Might be worth checking regulator / rectifier, could be on the way out, not enough oomph.

Oh, another thought. If fuel is getting through, it may be a stuck choke cable.

Check kill switch contacts, too.
  19. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    Thanks harvey..

You know i check, gap and ckean the plugs when i took the carb out but i never check again..

The tank was semi rusty and i clean it with a bunch of old bilts and nuts and some nasty something (and letbit dry forva week)

I also have one of those mothion pro "IV" gysmos so the fuel.is getting into the carb for sure (tank too)

But a elrctrician im not..

I will study some more and start to check your suggestions

Oh and thanks for telling me is not saw dust (the dep cog was open when i got the bike kind of a careless mechanic i guess..
  20. Juvenile Senior

Oddometer:
    I have NEVER seen anything like this before! What is this stuff?! This can't be comming from fuel!
    If I were you, I would just start looking for used carbs for replacement. Would save you time, money and frustration...
    Butters likes this.