Yamaha TDM Riders

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by BuellDualSport, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Muther Fokker

Oddometer:
    Just check out my site to see all the pics you like. I have the TDM900A GT version, which comes standard with the Yamaha bags, toprack, centerstand, tall screen (don't like tall screens, short ones are more comfortable) and the lower spoiler for around 1000 euros more than the standard 900A I believe. I was able to get a very good deal on this 2006 0 km showroom model:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pics were taken just after I picked up the bike when it was still new last August. The crashbars (not in above pics) have since been replaced with Puig sliders, the cans are now black SS Superpole cans and the rear light unit is now white with a full LED unit integrated (incl license plate LEDs):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, the bike's pretty dirty now due to the winter weather.

LED light in action:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The bike's got other options as well, including MRA screen, ABM steering bar (wider, lower, more straight), CLS Speed advanced chainoil system, Daytona heated grips and plenty more.

If I would have to buy bags for a standard TDM I would have gone for the Givi option, probably including the German Quicklock SW Motech kit to mount them (removable with 3 quicklocks within seconds). I like the looks of those HB cases as well, but they also look pretty wide (like the Yamaha bags) and perhaps not as practical as the Givi ones. The Yamaha bags are not the most decent bags I've seen, certainly not worth the extra money, but they serve the purpose and do look reasonably stock I think. I usually never need more than a topbox and perhaps tankbag anyway, the sidecases are handy for vacation...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. AJ..

AJ.. Long timer

Oddometer:
    wow...nice dude....:clap

about the sidecases,couldn't agree less...i jus removed my Givi wingrack and replaced it with Hepco & Becker...
    with the givi,it serves all the purposes i need...i can swap over from sidebox to top box...and most of the time riding ard town i would just use the single top box...and even single top box,it can fit in 2 open face helmets...and with using the wingrack,i have a big baseplate,so when i use the 2 sidecases,i can put my haversack on the Givi top plate acting as a good rack...

now that i"ve swap to Hepco,it is somehow a Pain....looks good though...but actually,its difficult to ride around town during peak hour traffic...and i hardly Fit my Arai TourX...not much room...and a friend jus demonstrate to me just now,how he unlock his hepco sidecase even if it is Locked@!!#$....oh gosh...
  3. Flying Dutchman

Oddometer:
    So I guess you couldn't agree more? :wink:
  4. AJ..

AJ.. Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D
  5. Hartside N lakes man

Hartside N lakes man Not A noob actually OLD

Oddometer:

Aha I wondered why you oposted what you did in the tutorial on Carpe :1drink

I had a search and found your origonal post on the Vstrom guards "well done" I didn't realise it had already been done :shog

I don't think they look cheap :D (even though they are) and in my opinion (looking at other pictures) they offer better protection, even to the levers and pivot pins as they cover both the clutch lever and switch and the brake lever and switch.
  6. Hartside N lakes man

Oddometer:
    I have the ebay link bookmarked for the future :thumb thanks Emile
  7. AJ..

AJ.. Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah man....anyway.....cheers..:freaky
  8. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of hand guards, this past fall I fitted guards from a girlie Tiger. They fit pretty well with a few mods and look good too. Next step, heated grips. I plan on getting the header pipe Jet Hot coated this winter. Other mods planned: Custom saddle (who to do the job?), Fork Brace, Spare set of wheels for off road tires, Aftermarket exhaust (probably have to get used, I don't think anybody is still making for early TDMs), LED blinkiers and taillights.

I love this bike, can't wait for the weather to break.

Killer quad AJ!
  9. SlipChip

Oddometer:
    So far I have found most things available from my local Yammie dealer.
  10. AJ..

AJ.. Long timer

Oddometer:

bro,u intend to get a spare wheelset for off-rd....using the same stock wheel?or getting a new set of spokey wheels?sounds like a good plan...
  11. Pict

Pict A Scot in exile

Oddometer:
    For the sake of spreading the message Stateside, and with thanks to our Norwegian friend AJ Blizzard for posting it on the Carpe-TDM site, here's a Dutch video of the TDM 900 - admittedly on the smooth and black. Its an early (pre-2004) version btw. For any wheelie/stoppie freaks, view the same version in Turkey (showing that it ain't no.....:evil)
  12. Pict

Pict A Scot in exile

Oddometer:
    Forgo to say thanks to Doc from Carpe for that second tip.
  13. Tantrum

Tantrum Condescending Nag

Oddometer:
    This question will probably give away my ignorance but, what do you mean by black blinkers? The mount looks black except for the lil' orang'ish dot...:ear
  14. Flying Dutchman

Oddometer:
    The blinker lenses are smoked black in color, in above pic the orange hue is the reflection of the orange bulb inside.

[​IMG]

Team Frikandel Speciaal on www.ebay.de has them in the black smoked and white colors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Tantrum

Tantrum Condescending Nag

Oddometer:
    :norton Thanks for clearing that up :D
  16. SlipChip

Oddometer:
    Spokes in the long run, for now spare set stock rims from a yard nearby who is parting one out.

Edit to add pix taken with xmas camera. Not much adv in the barn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. AJ..

AJ.. Long timer

Oddometer:
    i think it would be fun to have spokey wheels if you plan to do off-rds...maybe to project it on the 850 would be good...to do it on my niner,its a pain...luve my bike too much to do all this...maybe if i still have it in 5 yrs time...:evil

this bike has plenty of torque...there's so much room for improvement...maybe like change to WR4 or YZ4 inverted forks...removed all the headfairings and replaced it to WR400 headlight and shroud..replaced to high mount aftermarket exhaust,removed the rear sideboards and fairings for dirtbike fender and sideboards.....taaadaa....you have the Yammie version of the BMW HP2..okie,i'm a little over board...:rofl
  18. speckypete

speckypete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont know how I missed this...
    I have an old '92 TDM850. It has 62000km on the clock, though the speedo cable was broken for a while. The electrics seem to have been installed by some Italian students who were in Japan on work experience. The origional rectifier was made of custard. The gearbox is manufactured from high quality swiss chocolate. The handling is erm 'fun'.

...But I love this bike. It is easy to work on, will go almost anywhere you are foolish enough to take it. It does not demand love and attention. I now dont even have to think about short-shifting through 3rd gear as if you gas it in 3rd, it jumps straight back to 2nd. All adds to the character.:eek1

Hoping to get my Mk2 gearbox installed before we go touring in Morrocco later this year, but besides that, I have no plans to do anything to the bike, or replace it, it simply does everything I need it to.

Cheers from rainy Spain

Peter
  19. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody out there know the make and model of the front forks on a 92 TDM. The factory manual gives all the pertinent info except for who made em.
  20. Hartside N lakes man

Oddometer:
    Gone a bit quiet in here so i thought i would post a pic

do you like my stubby pipes

[​IMG]