1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha TDR250 in USA?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by JB-DTW, Oct 2, 2012.

1. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    SO Jealous!
  2. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bad Ass.
    traffic.cones likes this.
  3. Dauer

Dauer Kicking names and taking ass

Oddometer:
    Yup, I fear this will be the end of my status as a respectable member of society...at least the perception of it.
  4. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    bucket list buy
  5. arcaneman

arcaneman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got my TDR this Fall, incredibly "fun" bike. She is a nice one, only 1400KM. I am currently installing Lomas exhaust and a set of power reeds. Can't wait for Spring.

[​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]
    RebelYell likes this.
  6. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still really want one of these! I believe that with some modern suspension upgrades and tires, the possibilities are limited only by fuel range. So, how far can you guys go on a tank of fuel? If you have mpg figures, please remember to specify USA or Imperial gallons!
  7. Dauer

Oddometer:
    Goodness, that is one clean TDR! Congrats, take it from me, these things really get under your skin.
  8. BushX

BushX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost bought one of these back in the early nineties, test rode it but ended up with a Honda Hawk GT instead. Also had a friend with a NS400r around the same time. Wish I could find either of those two two strokes now to add to the garage. I still have the Hawk.
  9. gabbt

gabbt n00b

Oddometer:
    Some more pics.

Attached Files:

10. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw pictures of this bike with the JL pipes. One of my all-time favorite bikes.
  11. arcaneman

arcaneman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your right! The Lomas pipes are great! 20160205_120920.jpg
  12. Dauer

Oddometer:
    The Lomas pipes are mean looking. Did you retain your stock jetting. I've read that considering the stockers flow really well there is no need to bump up the mains until you start getting into boring out the carbs and such. Also have come across some info regarding the Lomas pipes cracking at the heat shield mounting locations. Unsure if this is still an issue but just a word of caution, I cannot speak from experience.
  13. thepackrat

thepackrat i can ride that

Oddometer:
    This was years ago at the shop I worked at. The two right hand bikes were mine, the white one being a written off 89" that I put a YZ490 front end onto, and a lot of other mods. Worked OK, but I shipped it to New Zealand and rode it around there for a while before selling it. My other one was destroyed by a movie production team that I rented it out to. They lied about how they would treat it. I got F#$ked. It had the aluminum swingarm, and all the other Japanese spec options available. Nicest bike I ever owned. I ended up giving it to the owner of a second bike that was involved in the rental. He ended up putting one together out the two, and as far as I know it ended up being sold to a collector down in the States.

Attached Files:

14. Cow Boy Brad

Cow Boy Brad brad1098

Oddometer:
    Need a price gaabt
  15. gabbt

gabbt n00b

Oddometer:
    3500$ US.
  16. pdxjim

pdxjim Two Stroke Terror

Oddometer:
    Got some new pipes on my TDR!

Was getting a bit bored with the JL's and have never been pleased with the fit, so got a set of underslung style pipes made by Martin Johnson in the UK.

[​IMG]
    tjzondrz and Mobil1 like this.
  17. pdxjim

pdxjim Two Stroke Terror

Oddometer:
    I ended up going up two sizes on the mains and raising the needles one notch. That's after two seizes with JL's and stock jetting.
  18. Dauer

Oddometer:
    That's good info there, thank you. Martin's pipes are looking slick by the way. Should make spark plug changes a snap as well.
    pdxjim likes this.
  19. pdxjim

pdxjim Two Stroke Terror

Oddometer:
    It's true. The up and over pipes look cool, but engine access sucks. I'v owned my TDR for almost 20 years, and it sure is nice to be able to see the engine.

JL and others claim stock jetting should be ok, but as previously stated, I broke a piston one time and blew a hole in another one on the stock jetting. It ran noticably better after going up on the mains and better still after raising the needles. This was with stock airbox/snorkle/element and carbs.

Your results, of course, may vary.
  20. Dauer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I've only owned my TDR for 11 months and I'm already growing tired of how obstructed engine access is.

I'm running the stock setup currently, should I opt for some aftermarket pipes I'll be sure to heed your advice. Thanks again.