Yamaha Tmax 530 vs Xmax 300

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Strayarider, May 13, 2018.

1. Strayarider

Strayarider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I've rounded my bike choice to these 2 models. I was keen on the Xmax 300 (400 not available here) for a while and I have heard from Honda corporate and also my local dealer that there is no plan to bring the new Forza 300 to Australia so I won't be waiting for that to happen.

I have ridden a Tmax years ago (the 500 version) and remember really liking it. My local dealer has neither a Tmax or Xmax to try or even sit on and won't bring one here without a deposit.

I was going to go the Xmax however, as it will still cost me almost $800 registration from the theiving &$&$&*#'s for either the 300 or 530, I might as well look at the Tmax (the older 2015 version) as an option vs the Xmax 300.

From what I have researched the Xmax is lighter, more storage and slightly smaller and the Tmax is larger, fits me (5'11'' with 32 inseam) and 100kgs however the storage is about half the 300.

I'm interested to know from those who have ridden or owned both what they think about the 2 models in comparison.

I'm pretty sure the power of either will be fine for my needs (I have owned 300 scoots before as well as much, much more powerful bikes and also I'm a massive fan of the PCX).

I suppose my questions are mainly around comfort, size, storage, handling for a 5'11'' guy like me.
  2. Strayarider

Strayarider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to say, the Xmax is $8k ready to ride, the 2015 (almost new) Tmax is $12k and I discounted the new SX as it's too expensive considering there are no discernible changes from the 2015 other than plastics and non-essential electronic BS.
  3. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I own an Xmax 300 and have owned a Tmax 500, so my opinion is dated as the Tmax was not the 530 variant. Here are a few thoughts in no particular order.

The Tmax really is the sportbike of scooters and there's a reason is the number one seller in many countries. The frame is made like a sportbike and as such erodes the cargo space. The triple disc brakes are the very best in the industry for others to measure against. The Tmax with it's twin cylinders will be much faster off the line at the expense of fuel consumption. I was getting in 60s mpg U.S. The Tmax is 'wide' so if you're vertically challenged just know this going into it. If you plan on riding two up, it's a superb choice. Leg room is mediocre at best and the '09 Tmax's winshield was the worst with tremendous buffeting around your helmet. I believe the newer Tmaxs have cruise control if that's important to you? The aftermarket options for the Tmax are many due to it's popularity. The Tmax is a royal PITA to peel all the tupperware off and do your own maintenance. It must be done in sequence or you will break many tabs (on the '09, idk on the newer versions) I believe the Tmax is manufactured in Japan.
    [​IMG]

The Xmax is a big and wide bike as well. With 45L storage under the seat it really makes stowing a treat. There is almost zero vibrations from the 292cc thumper which is amazing. Fuel consumption is averaging 75 mpg U.S. and has a range of over 200 miles before hitting reserve which truly makes this scoot a viable sport tourer if that's your intended purpose. The Xmax is manufactured in Indonesia and I would say the quality, fit and finish is not as good as the Tmax. The keyless ignition is annoying to me but I believe it is standard on both. The Xmaxs gauge and info center is stellar with one minor caveat, the clock is military time only. The windshield and handlebars have two seetings and with the windshield in the tallest setting it is close to being perfect for me at 6' 4" tall. The Xmax is easy by comparison to get get to the serviceable areas of the scoot. Most services can be done without panel Tupperware removal. The body panels are cheap as beans in comparison to the Tmax if you drop the bike and need to replace.
    [​IMG]

In the end I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I hope my comments help.

Eric
    kpinvt, minimac, YdnaT and 9 others like this.
  4. 2wheelfish

2wheelfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this is a factor in your situation or desires, but the Tmax's brought to the US in 2015 did not have ABS, but the newer scoots (Xmax here only) have ABS and TCS.
  5. sk8norcal

sk8norcal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    how is the handlebar adjusted?

how they get rid of the vibration on the Xmax?
    that's what annoyed me on my '06 Burgman 400, thump thump thump....
  6. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take the cladding off the handlebars and you have only 2 positions. Here's a pic of the forward position.
    [​IMG]

And a pic after I moved the bars back.
    [​IMG]

As for the lack of vibration, I have no clue. It must be in the engineering.
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have ridden a 500 Tmax and the new 530 Tmax. I had only sat on the Xmax. I'm 6-2. Both of the Tmax's bars hit my knees in tight turns but other than that the seating positions seemed roomy enough. The Xmax bars seemed better but the seating position slightly less roomy but still fine for me.

I liked the 530 Xmax much better than the old 500 in that it had much better air management, much more underseat storage and just seemed more comfortable. Both handled just fine and had plenty of power. Personally I'd go with the Xmax because it is smaller, lighter and just seems more like a scooter. On the other hand, if you want performance the Tmax has much more than the Xmax.
  8. 87112

87112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had them all in every size. A Majesty years ago than a pcx 125 and than a HD200. Now a Forza. 300s are where its at. Dont see the need to ever fiddle around again with scoots. Its the right engine size for every type of riding.
    kpinvt, cheapeto and Strayarider like this.
  9. Strayarider

Strayarider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all for your really helpful comments.

It's really interesting to hear from the taller riders regarding the seating position as this was my main concern. I found my Forza really comfy, the PCX really comfy and I had a test ride recently on a 2011 Majesty which was also quite comfy (although it was a bit old and didn't ride at all well). I also thought the Tmax 500 was superbly comfy and had concerns that the Xmax would be too short for my legs or too low bars or something like that.

I was kind of thinking that 300cc is the ideal size too. Sure, more power is nice but also means more weight/bulk to lug around. I admit to liking the lighter weight and enough power. Easy servicing also is attractive as I tend to do it myself so I can be sure it's done properly.

My ideal bike would probably be a PCX with 25-30hp, a fraction larger and a tad more weight so it doesn't get blown around so much on the open road. Damn the PCX is such a good bike i'm sorely tempted to get another one but it just won't run at 110-130kph as much as I would love it.

I have experienced some lower back pain and found UJM or ADV style riding positions suit me best so I'm also hoping there is enough room for movement in the Xmax/Tmax seating positions to lighten the impact of bumps etc with assistance from suspension, correct posture and relaxing on the bike.
  10. Strayarider

Strayarider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Eric,

Do you know where to buy/cost of the coloured plastics? The white looks superb, much more than the grey/brown we get here.

cheers!
  11. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    Ivabign and kpinvt like this.
  12. AG200man

AG200man AG200 Nutjob

Oddometer:
    Where you at? Yamaha City in Melbourne have demos last time I checked. They usually turn them over pretty cheap too...
  13. Strayarider

Strayarider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi AG200 (nice bike by the way). I'm in the Top End so will be arranging a dealer transfer. Just had a call today and waiting for confirmation on stock.
  14. Strayarider

Strayarider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eh?
  15. sk8norcal

sk8norcal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oops..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  16. Strayarider

Strayarider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aah.. a butt-post was it?

That's a modern take on the old butt-call which I often do myself when accidentally calling random friends with phone in pocket.

I've never heard of it happening on a forum 'till now so sk8norcal you are now the creator and owner of the world's very first butt-post on a web forum (as far as I know - which isn't very far).

I didn't see that coming! Great effort mate, never knew it was even possible ;)

(liberal dosing of sarcasm applied in a friendly joking manner).
    sk8norcal likes this.
  17. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    At 6’4” do you have a picture of you from the side on the x max?........ thinkin about picking up a new ride, and it’s in the hunt as I have family at Yamaha.
  18. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I''l have the Mrs. take a pic this evening when she gets home.
    villageidiot likes this.
  19. Hip001

Hip001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im 6'3 with 33" inseam 250#. Im more comfortable on the Xmax than i was on my Mophous/Maxam 250, or my Majesty 400(which i just sold). It is a more upright position. My feet have less room to move around but has not been a problem so far. I love the Xmax once i installed the large givi windshield. Ive put 1000 miles so far and average 76mpg (usa). I do not ride much on the interstate but the times i have it does quite well. The storage is awesome! The keyless part is neat at 1st but i would pefer a regular key. Im still working on my setup for phone/gps and cup holder. I removed the Yamaha logo handlebar cover exposing the center of the handlebar which allowed me to attach 2 RAM mounts. Next ive got to figure out where im gonna mount the battery tender pigtail and how to mount the euro turn signals. The motor is the best part! Very smooth and the power delivery is amazingly quick. Feels way quicker than my Majesty 400, yet at highway speeds the Majesty 70-80mph still had passing kick that the Xmax does not. Im still deciding if i want a rack and/or top box. So far my out of state travel just required a little bag strapped on the back seat which worked 20190227_155401.jpg fine and provided back rest which was nice.
    kpinvt likes this.
  20. Hip001

Hip001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20190426-081829.png
    kpinvt likes this.