Yamaha Tracer 900GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by hankgs, Nov 8, 2017.

1. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Should be much better then that Harley style helmet you are wearing
  2. 3sum

3sum local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    I can’t remember if it was here or elsewhere that I read that the Sargent seat from the FJ-09 did not fit the new Tracer.
    I’ve sent an email to Sargent asking them when they’d have one come out for the Tracer.
  3. 3sum

Oddometer:
    Also, Ive asked around but haven’t found out about topcase situation I’m curious about. I can’t bring myself (not yet anyway) to buy the hideous Givi mount for the bike. I’d like to buy the Yamaha rack and get a Givi topcase.

Anyone try this out and confirm or deny that it will work?
  4. sierra_victor

sierra_victor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have been looking at options for top-case and panniers and found a warning on the Yamaha parts web page;
    https://tinyurl.com/y8jq4ek6

WARNING Hard Saddlebags and Top Case not recommended to be used together due to increased risk of overloading the motorcycle.

But I have been told that Givi have a mount for larger panniers & top-box that will not overload the sub-frame. :dunno
    I have been thinking that this could be a replacement for my Sprint GT but I would like bigger panniers a top-box & braided lines then it would have me SOLD..
    Salty
  5. falcofred

falcofred aka Beer Scout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extreme N.E. Tennessee = Motorcycle Nirvana
    ^^^^^^People have been overloading motorcycles since they were invented. Warnings are to keep manufactures from being sued. I saw a warning on an Iron that said not to iron clothing while wearing the clothing. Bottom line, just don't over due what you pack inside the saddle bags and top case.
    [​IMG]
    Tarmac Kid likes this.
  6. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    Tarmac Kid likes this.
  7. Martin781

Martin781 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It does not fit. I ordered one and had to send it back. I did get a Sargent seat for the tracer but I had to send in my oem seat. Huge difference from stock and the turn around time was very fast. I posted pictures of it earlier in this thread.
  8. 3sum

Oddometer:
    Well damn. I missed those pictures. I’ll go and look again. Since posing this question, I called Sargent and they confirmed what you said.
    They said they should have one available in the next couple of months. Hell, I offered to bring mine down to them since I live in Atlanta metro.
    I thought about going the custom route like you, but I’m not in a mad rush.
    Martin781 likes this.
  9. 3sum

Oddometer:
  10. Martin781

Martin781 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was around 350 for both seats.
    3sum likes this.
  11. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there an auto-blip downshifter available for the GT? Anyone have one?
  12. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
    Check with Vcyclenut. I could be remembering incorrectly but I think there was an option to add a blip function using the stock quick shifter with his flash. I did not want a blipper so I didn't check the box. Anyway, check with him.
    falcofred likes this.
  13. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
    Tracer Owner Alert!!!!!

I have a must do mod for all Tracer owners. First adjust your throttle so there is as close to zero play in the throttle tube as possible. I think I took mine about an 1/8 to 1/4 turn beyond zero play since I complained so much about 0% throttle changes. Anyway, adjust your throttle to be tight.

Then install the $10 clutch arm from the R3. It is part number
    2MS-E6340-00-00.

1E43F05C-69A0-4CD5-9DF2-63B16FDA4653.jpeg

There you can see the R3 arm installed compared to the stock arm in my hand. That little bit of extra length made the bike incredibly easy to ride during stop/go and parking lot maneuvers. No longer is the clutch a light switch, you can slip and modulate like a normal bike! It’s great, hands down the best mod I’ve done. Between this and winding out the throttle cable the bike’s aggression from 0% throttle is greatly tamed. My local dealer sold me the arm for less than $11. Cheaper than online. Hands down the best thing I’ve done to this bike and it was $10!!!!!!
    SMURPH, Kawidad, rauchman and 8 others like this.
  14. korydz

korydz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anything else required to add or to modify to make the R3 arm work?
  15. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
    Nothing.

I set the new arm on top of the old and marked up the inside so it sat at the same angle as the stock arm. Then attach the spring to the arm then slide the arm onto the clutch with the spring under tension. That part is important because it is possible to install the arm followed by the spring and then there is no return action at the lever. Then remove the safety latch on the stock arm, remove the circlip and washer, install arm and spring, install washer and a new circlip, test the action, then close the safety latch on the new arm. 15 minutes and you are done.
    SMURPH, Gapscratch and falcofred like this.
  16. korydz

korydz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds great. What possible reason would they have to design it any other way? Is there any trade off here ?
  17. 3sum

Oddometer:
    Got a question about a conundrum I find myself in. I bought a Lextek exhaust and it arrived today. After dinner I ran out to the garage thinking I could get the old off and the new on in short order. No joy.

IMG_3414.jpg

and

IMG_3415.jpg

is the most head-scratching issue I find myself in. I know that hanger has to mount *somewhere* but I’ll be damned if I can figure out where and how to attach it. I know the mount that’s holding the midpipe (the right side of what held up the OEM muffler) will be under too much stress alone.
    IMG_3418.jpg

I still have these various pieces
    IMG_3416.jpg

But from what I’ve heard from one person, Lextek puts more than what you need in the box (possibly for other, shorter canisters).

Any new Tracer owners have a Lextek that can help a frustrated inmate out?
  18. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
    I bet you can remove the fasteners for the pannier support then put your extra long bracket between said mount and the passenger peg bracket and reattach the hardware. There are three bolts on the back side holding the two parts together.

Just a guess.
    3sum and Gapscratch like this.
  19. Gapscratch

Gapscratch I love curves!

Oddometer:
    I think Tarmac is right. Slide the muffler clamp down a couple inches closer to the rear peg, and bolt one of the supplied hangers between the peg mount and the pannier brace. Then bolt the clamp to the hanger. Remember to loosen up everything in front of the muffler to get enough room to adjust it. After you sort it out, how about a pic with the case installed so we can see how much clearance there is. I like the look of that exhaust. :thumbup
    3sum likes this.
  20. 3sum

Oddometer:
    I actually did that last night as a last ditch effort before I closed up shop for the evening in frustration. The new issue is the offset spacing from the pannier mounting bolt to where the exhaust hanger comes up (I’ll supply pictures once home this evening).
    I’m going to stop at Lowe’s on the way home to look for some stainless steel spacers so I can hopefully snug it up. Of course the ones I have at home are too thin and it already looks kludged together enough that I’m not putting a fuckton of washers there.
    With this being an overseas piece of kit, I think they just might have assumed the 2019 Tracer has the same passenger peg mounting as the previous years European Tracers.

We’ll see what pans out tonight. Thanks for the kind words on the looks Gap. Want to trade for your Yosh?