Yamaha Tracer 900GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by hankgs, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid Doesn't Like Stuff

Oddometer:
    Does anyone here have access to this article?

https://davemosstuning.com/2018-yamaha-tracer-900-gt-new-zealand/

The more miles I put on this bike the more I find myself wishing for more front end feedback and a more planted feel. I don't want to rip off Mr. Moss, just curious if there are some golden nuggets in there before I spring for a membership.
    falcofred likes this.
  2. 3sum

3sum local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    The rear seat was a bit tough to get installed at first but I think I was just doing something wrong at first because now it installs easily. I posted a review on tracer900.net of it but in a nutshell I really like it. It’s great for general riding but in the twisties it has me sliding forward when I slow to set up for a turn. I think it’s due to the different materials used in the Sargent vs OEM (my Roadcrafter doesn’t help). I think another 1/2” of foam in the front near the tank will help immensely and when I contacted Sargent last week, I was told they’ve heard that from some of the other first buyers as well. He (Dane) told me to give him a week and he might have a solution for me.

Overall it’s tons better than the OEM for me.

davyjones likes this.
  3. BalancePoint

BalancePoint Mucker

Oddometer:
    Since I live in Jax, I loaned them my 900 GT to make a video on installation of the seat(s), and they also may be looking at further mods to their seat. Once I understood how to latch the front seat, I had no further problems. I don't have the Sargent rear seat. It's difficult to overstate how nice and accommodating Sargent is. Opinions on aftermarket seats vary, much like with windscreens. I really like the Sargent product, but what impresses me even more is the Sargent service experience.
  4. QuaXum

QuaXum n00b

Oddometer:
    could u post a pic of your sargent seat?
  5. BalancePoint

BalancePoint Mucker

Oddometer:
    Will definitely do so when I get the bike and seats back!
    davyjones likes this.
  6. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with you on this point. Have you learned anything since this post? I am still on the original tires at 3700 miles and wonder/hope that a tire brand change will improve the feedback.

Ben
  7. Tarmac Kid

Oddometer:
    I've learned much since then though nothing about the Tracer. :lol3

I'm on my third set of tires. OEM Dumplop, Dunlop Roadsmart 3, and now at the end of the rubber on a set of Pirelli Rosso 3s.
    The Rossos are my dry weather choice. They helped but I'm still not happy with the bike's feedback at the apex.

I'm considering taking the forks as high in the trees as possible and if the bikes needs more I've been weighing trying a 180/60 rear tire. My thinking is the bike feels WAY better when riding with an agressive trail braking technique. The unsettled/low feedback scenario happens through esses where I don't use the brakes and thus don't transfer any weight to the front tire.

I'd love to see what a suspension pro has worked out as a good setup for this bike. I want to trust the front more and if I'm honest add a few degrees of lean angle.
  8. Folly1

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

b
  9. Vrode

Vrode Wait....what?

Oddometer:
    Did you add any ride height to the rear? (Can you add different dog bones?)
    I did this to my FZ1 (Gen1) and it really helped (along with raising the fork tubes about 6mm)
  10. Rodan

Rodan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've posted this here before, but I'll repeat myself: on my FJ-09, switching from the stock Dunolps to Michelin PR4s and raising the fork tubes in the triples 5mm significantly improved front end feel. I would assume the same would hold true for the Tracer. It was enough of a difference that I put suspension mods on the back burner.
    davyjones and Folly1 like this.
  11. Tarmac Kid

Oddometer:
    I have an Ohlins shock but the length (ride height) isn't adjustable.

I agree. The bike really improved after I raised the forks and even more so when I switched to the Pirelli. Trouble is, it still is a long way off from other street bikes I've owned and just doesn't have an inspired mid corner feel. My KTM 1190 with a 19" front gave far more feedback than the Tracer.
    davyjones, Folly1 and falcofred like this.
  12. de Vaca

de Vaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New look for 2020. Looks good, taken from the Yamaha US website; the black widow version. :D 791A7D6A-1074-4EC8-BA64-1819A0BAFDC6.png
    Falp, Bobbles, NumberCruncher and 6 others like this.
  13. Martin781

Martin781 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love that color !
  14. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
  16. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
    Same windscreen I wonder?

NC

17. Tarmac Kid

Oddometer:
    I think he repurposed a non-Tracer screen, maybe an FJ screen? Puig now has a Tracer specific screen that is similar in shape and size. I can't find a 2020 parts fiche for the Tracer but I can't imagine they changed part numbers after only a year.
  18. Folly1

Oddometer:
    I found one. Revzilla has it.

b
  19. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I am getting close to getting a new bike. I currently ride an FJR, which I love, but which doesn't excite me and feels a bit porky sometimes. When the GT was first released, I really liked the short demo ride I got, but I wanted to know for sure if the bike fit me and my riding style. So, a couple of weeks ago, I took a day off from work to rent and ride a GT. I used riders-share.com, and the experience there was good.

The GT was simply wonderful. The C3 motor is exciting, sounds great, can be both mild and wild, and gets awesome mileage. The handling is fantastic. Suspension is not quite as good as my FJR with upgraded springs in front and a nice Wilbur shock out back, but it would serve me well enough for a while. I loved the seating position, the bars, peg location, etc. I don't love the menu wheel and the turn signal switch, but I can live with those. The windscreen would need to be changed ASAP. I could live with the stock seat for a little while, but would like something better.

I rode about 430 miles over 8 hours, and felt good afterward. I really want one now, and I know it will work for me. Overall, it was well worth the $140 it cost to rent it for a day. I'll be buying one in spring, once I sell the FJR.
    View attachment 2022724 View attachment 2022726
  20. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I have access to this article - it's very short and just makes a mention of how the suspension was set up as he took delivery of it. The article didn't go into any modifications.
    Tarmac Kid likes this.