Yamaha Tracer 900GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by hankgs, Nov 8, 2017.

1. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Well that sucks!
    It appears that you're okay, good! Bikes can be fixed or replace much easier than body parts.
    3sum likes this.
  2. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:

That sucks, did it crack the headstock? Glad you are ok (I assume based on your ability to post).
  3. 3sum

3sum local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    I’m fine. It was a low speed screwup but I hit him hard enough that it pushed the right side of the fairing and all that goes with it about an inch back. I managed to jack up the right and left side. My right handlebar hit his topcase which after going full lock to the right, threw me to the left and I went down on that side. Thank goodness my sidecases were on because the left case saved the back end from even getting a scratch.
    I’m just worried the front end damage is going to be a very expensive fix. That and the fact that my cruise control light on the dash started blinking on the way home after 4 days of riding after the crash. Hopefully just a fuse decided to give up days later but there might be an electrical gremlin in there so who knows.
    If insurance wants to total it, I just might buy it back if I can get it cheap enough.
  4. 3sum

3sum local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
  5. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bummer. The front subframe is flimsy AF, which in your case may be an advantage. The subframe may have acted as a crumple zone, preventing damage to the main frame. The front stay is a $120 part, and that headlight cowling is <$50. The side case is the most expensive damage I see, and you can probably fix that with some sandpaper and spray paint. This doesn't look even close to a total to me. If you do the work yourself and repair rather than replace the scratched bag and engine case, this is probably a $300-400 fix.
    thejrod and 3sum like this.
  6. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope they improve maintenance access. The fairing system on the FJ-09 and Tracer is a logic-defying puzzle of overlapping panels, interlocking tabs, velcro strips, and rubber posts all held together by 7-8 different kinds of fasteners. Whoever designed this bodywork must be the same idiot who created the original V-Max fuel filler.
    3sum likes this.
  7. 916Rider

916Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could this be the new Tracer 900 GT? Saw it on a Spanish YouTube video.
    868EB7D7-1EB2-4E8A-8903-70FF8F87037D.png E7A7D9A1-02CE-46FD-8744-E48AD6874804.png 5EEE2777-A523-415E-BCA9-9DAD415C1346.png
    HuntWhenever, MCGMB and Motonirvana like this.
  8. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has to be. Notice it has the same frame, swingarm, and muffler as the new MT-09. Nobody would purposely Photoshop something so hideous so it must be a genuine Yamaha design.

It appears they've reduced the number of fairing panels that overlap the fuel tank from 7 down to 5. That's an improvement but still a PITA.
  9. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    123181575_992036161279636_189202224243956754_n.thumb.jpg.9ac5ed3b03e71737f444dfa8b149247b.jpg

122995217_992036171279635_428400264194707956_n.thumb.jpg.a5672a75ff148e309a987a3d37b0537d.jpg
    caught in the wild.. not a fan.
    HuntWhenever and olie like this.
  10. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am a HUGE fan of the new more powerful engine with 11% better fuel economy and a substantially stiffer frame. Those changes in conjunction with a nice list of other upgrades has peaked my interest.
    Tarmac Kid and Luckycharms like this.
  11. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Hopefully it has good specs! That front end reminds me of that fugly bug with multiple eyeballs on Starship Troopers. Wow.... what has been seen can not be unseen, lol.
    AZbiker likes this.
  12. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it looks pretty good. I like the new turn signal placement. Bigger handguards is nice. I'll miss the "goo". Still with the blurple though....
  13. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't say I'm a fan of the styling, but if the airflow is smoother/quieter I don't care. Wind management has become the #1 thing I don't like about my FJ-09.

You don't have to look at it while you're riding, but you do have to listen to and feel the wind.
    bmac likes this.
  14. The.Cheese

The.Cheese Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I liked the GT before. It sounds great on paper, like it would be a good fit for me. I love the new looks. I'm digging it. Really. I think it's a winner!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, helping me learn about it. Special thanks to those who posted about the update.
  15. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Hopefully - it will be available in colors other than black! I am so fvcking tired of the lazy basturds just using black for everything!
  16. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Better capabilities are always better.
    It's differently ugly compared to the previous gen, which is also ugly. :D
  17. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    I don't mind the look, you blokes in the US don't forget that the blinkers above are for the rest of the world you will get the big orange ones.

Looks like panniers might hold a bit more.
    Madscientist likes this.
  18. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be joining this thread, bought a 2020 Tracer 900 GT yesterday. Pics to follow later on after I pick it up later today.

Already ordered a GIVI tank bag lock ring (I already have two small GIVI tanklock bags) for the gas tank cap and a Garmin GPS cradle, power cord and ram mount to swap my GPS from Tenere 700 to Tracer with ease. Not much else planned, maybe a taller windscreen if needed (I'm 5'9") and maybe the heated seat option from Yamaha.
  19. dch

dch Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Recently added Yamaha comfort seat and touring windscreen. Rode around NW Ar Sat. Strongly recommend both items.

Tracer .JPG
    SMURPH likes this.
  20. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    How tall are you and what's your inseam?
    Curious because that seat still looks like it's got a significant forward tilt, which I find very objectionable.
    The stock foam sucks too, but I can tolerate it now that I'm no longer crushing my nuts by having the seat sitting in the low position at the back, but shimmed up to high+ in the front.)

I'm 6'1" / 34" inseam and the stock windscreen sucked for me, so I got a Puig.
    Rode a friend's GT with the touring screen and it was better than stock but gave me more buffeting than the Puig.