Yamaha Tracer 900GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by hankgs, Nov 8, 2017.

1. dch

dch Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Recently added Yamaha comfort seat and touring windscreen. Rode around NW Ar Sat. Strongly recommend both items.

Tracer .JPG
    SMURPH likes this.
  2. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    How tall are you and what's your inseam?
    Curious because that seat still looks like it's got a significant forward tilt, which I find very objectionable.
    The stock foam sucks too, but I can tolerate it now that I'm no longer crushing my nuts by having the seat sitting in the low position at the back, but shimmed up to high+ in the front.)

I'm 6'1" / 34" inseam and the stock windscreen sucked for me, so I got a Puig.
    Rode a friend's GT with the touring screen and it was better than stock but gave me more buffeting than the Puig.
  3. dch

dch Rock Chalk

Oddometer:

5'11'' with a 32" inseam here. I added some spacers in front on the seat as well. Its not a 500 mile per day setup but 200/300 per day is very doable, which is fine with me.
    bmac and MapMaster like this.
  4. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    F9FC7A93-9B30-461E-A91A-2F3A9777DF68.jpeg
    2020 GT with 1 mile on it. Picked it up late yesterday. Have not rode it yet. Dealer PDI put the 1 mile on it.

Seems I’ve went full on Yamaha lately.
    69F6CF10-3F02-4F54-B516-DC4F9B97857B.jpeg

Man those big ugly orange blinkers gotta go. T7 had those ugly things but you see Cyclops LEDs on it now. I’m going to try same thing on the GT.
    SMURPH, 480v Sparky, old1959 and 3 others like this.
  5. Stomp347

Stomp347 I'll do anything fun Supporter

Oddometer:
    What mirrors are running on the T7?
  6. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:

Hell yes! Nice #BluCru garage you have!

Looks like these, if they are knock offs of the CRG. I have the same mirrors.
    RoyQ likes this.
  7. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rottweiler Arrow CRGs attached to Barkbuster VPS hand guards. Awesome combo!
    Stomp347 likes this.
  8. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    lol there is a Honda GROM in there as well.
  9. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two new toys!? I envy you. Both of these are on my list for next bike. Please keep us up to date as you form opinions from real world use.
  10. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve had the T7 since June. Awesome bike off road and pretty good on road just not fit me as a touring bike. That’s why I git rid of my Africa Twin and Suzuki naked 1000 and went with the Tracer GT. Two bikes into one. Wasn’t into using the big Africa Twin off road snd it wasn’t that good touring.
    SMURPH and JeffPM like this.
  11. spuh

Oddometer:
    Ah, so your garage was even more busy before. I'm looking for a light touring bike that I can use for easy dirt, largely to get somewhere (as opposed to seeking out more challenging dirt routes). Think a Tracer could fit the bill. My must haves are ABS and cruise (which on the T7 would come from MC Cruise.) Do I suffer (a little) on the highway drones to get switchable ABS and real dirt ability or should I slow right down off pavement in order to get highway comfort? I hope you'll keep us posted as you get familiar with these two.
  12. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    It better be real smooth, easy dirt as the Tracer 900 has minimal ground clearance. The Tracer is known for cracked, broken oil pans. My 2019 Tracer 900 GT has an updated pan compared to the original 2015 FJ 09, but it still hangs way down there close to the ground.

https://www.tracer900.net/topic/7060-another-cracked-oil-pan/page/2/
    Tarmac Kid likes this.
  13. spuh

Oddometer:
    That's exactly the kind of intel I love to find before buying. Sounds like the damages mentioned came from speedbumps and kerbs; maybe the Tracer should stay on smooth pavement after all.
    AZbiker likes this.
  14. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    T7 will do highway all day long at 75-80 mph. Only issue is you cannot run aggressive off road tires and do that because they'll wear out quick. You could run a 90/10 tire and be fine though. But once off road the T7 is going to be begging for more spirited ride and the 90/10s won't cut it. Wind protection on the T7 is not sport tourer protection. The seat on the T7 is not that comfy either stock or with the optional Rally seat. Tracer could do light gravel but the headeers are exposed and you only have 5" or less ground clearance and that is to the sumo which is exposed. I plan to only do gravel on mine if I have to in short of just turning around and re routing.
  15. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
    I'll my 2 cents regarding the Tracer and dirt again.

16. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Tracer is probably a better off-pavement bike than a VFR800. Not by much, though.
  17. falcofred

falcofred aka Beer Scout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extreme N.E. Tennessee = Motorcycle Nirvana
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
    KeithU likes this.
  18. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I won't be taking mine off road unless it is a brief gravel road excursion instead of turning around.
  19. spuh

Oddometer:
    Well you guys have talked me out of the Tracer as a soft roader. Thanks; this is exactly why I came here.
    My search continues for the (almost) perfect Japanese sport tourer capable of a little dirt exploring.
  20. paulcb

paulcb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you want a Tenere.
    Luckycharms likes this.