Yamaha Tracer 900GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by hankgs, Nov 8, 2017.

1. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    The front brake switches on recall for my Tracer GT and Super Tenere were replaced today....all I need is for the rest of the snow/salt/scum to be washed off the roads. My Tracer switch still worked with problems with the cruise control. The Super Tenere had failed and cruise wouldn’t work consistently.
    3sum likes this.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I didn't have any issues, but had had the recalled switch replaced last week.
  3. 3sum

3sum local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    I got mine done two weeks ago. Both my brake light and my cruise had gone south.
    haggis mctavish likes this.
  4. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had mine done yesterday, had no problems with the CC or brake light. Actually used the CC on the ride to the dealer. My 2020 was bought new in September and has 3,800 miles but has never been in the rain - yet. When on a trip if it rains I ride but locally tend to not ride in the rain unless caught out in a shower. Not sure what causes the switch problem but assume moisture plays a part.
  5. Gapscratch

Gapscratch I love curves!

Oddometer:
    Mine has been acting up again lately with the symptoms. Not consistently. First happened about a year and a half ago, already out of warranty. Checked both brake switches per advice here ATT. Found and fixed a wiring issue on the rear brake switch. Problem went away, until recently. I received the recall letter last month, so of course it acted up on my next 2 rides. :patch

Strangely enough, when I called the dealer nearest to me (35 miles away, where I bought it new), after getting the notification, the service guy asked if it was malfunctioning. Not at that time, I said, but would he order the part for it and I'll bring it in when he gets it so I can ride it there and wait while you replace it? I asked...

Nope, says he, you have to bring the bike in and leave it before he'll even order the part, then wait for it to show up, then wait till they can get to it. :nah
    I told him forget it, I'll take care of it myself.

Naturally, the next time I rode it, it happened. And again on the next ride... so here I am now, with the bike parked in MY garage, (not the dealers) awaiting the part I ordered online, as usual.
    Of course, it's on backorder from Yamaha now because the recall on that part affects several different models that it's used on. Oh well, I have other bikes to ride and my Tracer isn't sitting in the back room at the dealer gathering dust. After Yamaha makes more, I'll get mine and change it out, not a hard fix. This bike rocks, and I still dig it!!
    3sum and Tarmac Kid like this.
  6. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a shitty attitude. Why would they be like this? Time to find a different dealer.
    MCGMB, 3sum, whisperquiet and 2 others like this.
  7. Vrode

Vrode Still half-fast... Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sucks. Sounds like they really don’t want to do any warranty work. Seems like they’d be inclined to do the right thing if you bought it there, but I guess not
    AZbiker likes this.
  8. Gapscratch

Oddometer:
    They're all pretty much the same around here so, it doesn't worry me, I'll take care of it myself.
  9. Gapscratch

Oddometer:
    I agree. This is another example that reinforces my decision more than 30 years ago to get service manuals for most every bike I've owned and learn how to take care of them myself. Even using dealers for warranty work is sketchy at best. I've found and corrected enough screw ups made by the supposedly trained "techs" at several various brand dealers to have lost faith in them long ago. My best results over the years were usually at independent repair shops, but that's not always available depending on my location and time constraints.

I know Yamaha will pay for the recall if I jump through the hoops, but this is an easy fix once the part is in my hand. Plus I know I'll do it right. I'll call Yamaha and see if they'll reimburse me.
    Great, if they do, but if not, I'll just add it into the list of farkles I've already spent $$ on for the bike, as I always do to all my rides. These are my toys, it's part of the fun! :thumb
    STBNE and KeithU like this.
  10. Rodan

Rodan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had much the same issue with the cam chain tensioner recall on my '15 FJ09. They wouldn't do the warranty fix unless it failed, so I just put in an aftermarket manual tensioner myself. Sometimes 'warranty' work just isn't worth the trouble... and if I do it myself, I know it's right.
    Gapscratch and AZbiker like this.
  11. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear you. I've had more bad experiences than good with "professional" service departments over the years. If someone is going to screw up my bike I might as well save the money and screw it up myself.
    AZbiker and Gapscratch like this.
  12. BalancePoint

BalancePoint Local idiot. Aspiring to regional status.

Oddometer:
    I heard the same thing at my dealer's service department in Jacksonville. Since I was wearing a mask, and the counter guy wasn't, he also felt the need to spontaneously inform me of the "Covid hoax" in case I hadn't heard all the details. So, recall parts aren't in stock, bullshit is right there on the counter.
  13. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No one touches my bike besides me unless I know and trust the mechanic. I've learned this the hard way. And now I own a bunch of tools and listen to the experts on forums like this. :lol2
    Folly1 likes this.
  14. Gypped

Gypped Backyard Camper

Oddometer:
    Was this BBMS? Did you catch the guys name? I was contemplating going there for the demo truck this weekend, but may have to just avoid it.
  15. BalancePoint

Oddometer:
    It was BBMS, but no, I don't recall his name. He definitely wasn't running the place. I bought the bike from them, but I've never had any need to deal with their service department. The other Yamaha dealer is way out from us on Blanding. I'll probably get the recall done at BBMS. When I have repair work that I can't do myself there's an independent shop on Arlington Road that I've dealt with for years.
    Gypped and Gapscratch like this.
  16. Gapscratch

Oddometer:
    LOL. Probably the same helpful d-bag that told me I'd have to bring my bike in and leave it before he'd even order the recall part, which is already on back order... so just leave my Tracer there indefinitely???
    Sure buddy, be right there! :photog
    He did tell me they've been really busy lately, so I guess recall work isn't high on their priority list.
    AZbiker and Tarmac Kid like this.
  17. Gypped

Gypped Backyard Camper

Oddometer:
    There's one mechanic at BBMS I trust with my bikes, but he doesn't usually work on bikes anymore. Their service manager for several years jumped ship last year, so no idea who is running the show there now.

Who do you use on Arlington? The independent shop I used a few times for my wife's bike was on Arlington, but they closed a few years ago.

Depending on the weather Friday, I may hit the demo truck there in the morning - they may have the new Tracer and/or MT09, but nothing was real specific on exactly which models/years of bikes they'll have. Normally I'd just head down to Bike Week to pretend I'm going to buy something new, but...
  18. BalancePoint

Oddometer:
    Don Learn's Jax Moto. He's on Arlington just east of Cesary. I've never had anything but good dealings with him.
    Gypped likes this.
  19. cwjb

cwjb Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know the part number for the brake light switch? My nearest dealer just told me that he won't do recall work because he doesn't make money on it. He says that Yamaha hoses the dealers by underestimating the time it takes to do the job - in this case Yamaha would pay
    .6 hour and that meant that it would probably take an hour. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to lose money but jeez. That's 24 minutes that you're paying a mechanic who's already in the shop anyway. And they haven't had a bike to sell in about a year so how busy can the guy be? He did tell me that he might be able to " sneak it in " if I bought the bike in for a set of tires. The last time I did the math it saved me about $200 to do my own tires. That's a lot to pay for a recall that is supposed to be no charge. I won't even ask them to just supply the part and let me install it - been through that before. Like gapscratch said, easier just to buy the switch and put it in myself.
  20. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, avoid that dealer. You should be able to look up the part # using one of the online parts fiche websites. I’ll probably do the same myself - just a hassle to bring the bike in for such a small issue.
    cwjb and Luckycharms like this.