Yamaha Tracer 900GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by hankgs, Nov 8, 2017.

1. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's information on the front brake recall switch for 2019 and 2020 Tracer 900GT models
    The dealer kit includes a clamp (see chart). I assume it's just a zip tie.
    The actual switch is part# B1J-83980-00-00. It's $70 to $80 to purchase depending where you buy it.

Assemblies where B1J-83980-00-00 is used
    Tracer Front Brake recall kit.jpg
    Gapscratch, thejrod and Folly1 like this.
  2. Gapscratch

Gapscratch I love curves!

Oddometer:
    And that's exactly what I did about a month ago after the part finally showed up at my house. Took me about 30 minutes. Only 3 panels to remove, top one under the bars and the two on the right, piece o' cake after doing this many times over the last three years.
    It was more difficult to remove the bad one than replacing it with the new one. Had to cut one of the cable clamps because of tight quarters, just replaced it with a zip tie. No problems, everything's good now, screw the dealer! :D
    cwjb and Folly1 like this.
  3. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My drug dealer provides better service than that.

When I bought my GT earlier this year, the dealer wouldn't even release it to me without doing the recall first.
    cwjb likes this.
  4. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Yamaha would probably like to hear about a refusal to do recall work. especially w/r to a recall involving safety.
  5. cwjb

cwjb Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for your help. Especially Gapscratch and dpippin. Just the kind of info I was looking for.
  6. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I decided to replace my 2017 Yamaha R3. I put 13000 miles on it in 2 years 10 months. I have been through 11 states on that bike. Great bike but I wanted something more upright and comfortable. I got the 2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT. Super nice bike. I had rented the base Tracer 900 a year or so ago and really liked it. This is my 4th Yamaha and 8th bike I have owned. Hope to have this one a long time. View attachment 2965542 IMG_20210510_173743368.jpg
  7. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You'll appreciate the quick shift. Not so much the windscreen. Or the stupid thumb dial. I'm thinking of throwing a touring Puig on mine once winter returns. The wind noise and buffeting is getting to me. It's a good thing I have the engine to listen to.

Sat on a 2021 the other day. A few improvements besides the obvious suspension upgrades, one being the repositioned ignition switch. You can actually get a gloved hand on it now without turning the bars all the way to the side. Windshield is marginally larger. Sadly, no hope of taking one for a ride. I'd like to feel the new version of the engine and the bi-directional quick shift.
  8. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. The windshield is an issue with the buffering noise. I will have to deal with that at some point. I ride with ear plugs which helps. I am 5'7" and with it in the high I find myself tucking to get under the noisy air. The new tracer looks nice but the price is getting too high. I felt the 2020 is a better value. It's a dammed shame what the Euro 5 restrictions has done to the exhausts on these bikes. No more nice looking flowing pipes. It's an aftermarket exhaust manufacturer's wet dream though. I am sure their sales will go up.
  9. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went with a Puig touring screen and it's a huge improvement over stock and solved my buffeting issue.
  10. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cranked out 140 miles tonight on the Tracer. It was a bit chilly on the ridges in SW PA. Pic taken up at 7 Springs Ski resort. Have 202 miles since picking it up yesterday. Totally different dynamic than the R3 I was riding. Both awesome in a different way. Liking the upright riding position with less neck strain. The seat is more comfortable as well. IMG_20210511_191556611_HDR.jpg
    Bad Dad, budsboy, Chuck Pryce and 3 others like this.
  11. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
    Thinking of calling it quits with this chassis. The MT-09SP seems to have sorted out all the flaws with this chassis BUT I trust zero journalists when it comes to this bike. Hell, independent YouTubers seem to be clueless as well.

Everyone claimed the 2017 update fixed the bike. Uhhhh no the fueling, brakes, chassis and suspension all sucked. Now they all say the SP handles properly with a smooth throttle. Does it though???????

I can't live like this, I need more front tire feedback and stability when leaned past 15 degrees. I also want my bike to run reliably and have good parts availability. I just want it all. Where is my damn Yamaha Tuono???
    falcofred likes this.
  12. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So sell it. Life's too short to ride a bike you don't like.
    Luckycharms likes this.
  13. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe some rider training?
    Clem Fandango likes this.
  14. Rodan

Rodan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Changing from the factory Dunlops to Michelins made a world of difference in front end feel on my '15 FJ9... enough so that I stopped researching fork rebuilds.

The fueling has never bothered me, and I always ride in 'A' mode. But years of track riding taught me to be smooth with throttle inputs.

Never had any complaints about the brakes, either.

But, opinions vary, and I do understand some folks don't like the bike. Just move on to something else?
    Stomp347 likes this.
  15. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
    I agree, I am running Michelin Road 5s, made a world of difference but I'm a perpetually unhappy person.

What is your session rate big boy?
    falcofred, hypersports and Gapscratch like this.
  16. Vrode

Vrode Still half-fast... Supporter

Oddometer:
    You've been fighting with it awhile now. Maybe time to find something that really floats yer boat. As was stated..."Life's too short"
    Tarmac Kid likes this.
  17. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot more than 15 degrees. Maybe you need some trainer wheels at the back.
  18. cwjb

Oddometer:
    I just bought a Bagster seat and it didn't do it for me. If anyone is looking for one I will be putting it in the flea market. It's the one with red stitching that matches the 2020.
  19. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    So what is it not doing for you in comparison with the stocker?
  20. cwjb

Oddometer:
    I was hoping it would be a little higher to give me a bit more legroom. It's flatter than the stocker but I would have liked even a little more flat. It's also softer than I prefer. I would say that it would be a better seat for a shorter or lighter rider but one of the reasons I ordered it was reviews from guys my size ( 6'3, " 34",inseam, 200 lbs for reference) that loved it. So who knows. Everyone has different ergos and orthopedic issues.
    MapMaster likes this.