Yamaha Tracer 900GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by hankgs, Nov 8, 2017.

1. 3sum

3sum local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    I’ve been called a fanboy for Sargent, but I’ve had so many excellent seats from them, it’s not hard to be one, I guess. Anyway, I’m quite pleased with mine on the Tracer.

And the bump from front-to-back is nice when you need it, like the back straightaway at a Road Atlanta.

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg
    cwjb likes this.
  2. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback @cwjb
    At 6' 1" (or 6' 0" at the end of the day :deal) for me, the dish in the stock seat sucks. I do not like my nuts pushed into the tank. I did try a Sargent seat, and the shape was the same, so the issues were the same, though the Sargent had better foam.
    Sounds like the Bagster partially addresses the problems I have with the seat, but softer foam won't work for me either.
    cwjb likes this.
  3. CRFan1

CRFan1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a big Sargent fan as well but they completely messed up the front of that seat and how it mates up to the tank......it is hideous and is preventing me from getting one for my Tracer GT. Not sure what they were thinking on this one!
    Clem Fandango and draco_1967 like this.
  4. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been a fan of Sargent also but they completely messed up their seat for the Tracer GT by using the seat pan from the 2015 FJ09 to make a seat for the 2019 and 2020 Tracer GT.
    The seat for the 2019, 2020 Tracer Gt is different.
    So I wrote off the fubar Sargent seat for my 2019.
    I opted to have a custom built Terry Adcox seat. He uses your original seat and modifies it to your specifications.
    He matched the cover and stiching to my original rear seat.
    At first I thought the wings would hamper my hanging off riding style but it works fine.
    I bought an original seat from someone who had bought a Sargent seat and sent that one to Terry for the rework.
    So I still have my original seat but I'm very happy with the Terry Adcox seat that matches up to the tank properly.

Adcox Seat (Medium).JPG
  5. cwjb

cwjb Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't do links right now but over on the tracer 900gt forum there's a thread called seat slope mod. Basically raising the front of the seat. It's enough for some guys but I maxed it out and could have used more. It definitely helps though.
    CRFan1 likes this.
  6. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Oh, I've definitely maxed out the slope change.
    I set the rear of the seat in the low position mounting holes and inserted a 3/4" block to rest the front bumpers on.
    The tang just barely catches on the tank molding on the front.
    A piece of sheepskin hides the odd gapping.
    I'll get some pictures later to post up.
    I've got a 34" inseam too, and would prefer it to be in the high position at the back, but then the front tang engages nothing. I can live with it now.
  7. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
    3259982.jpg

Photo of my max lean angle on yesterday's ride.

Met a crew of ZX-14s from Florida and one of the guys thought my bike was the new MT-09SP. Pretty much brother, it’s a fuckin’ Tracer 900SP.
    thereal_od, cwjb, falcofred and 2 others like this.
  8. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did 3 days on the new Tracer 900GT out to SE Ohio and back. 740 miles with 7 other riders. I now have 1458 miles on the bike. I hit some of the Twisty parts hard but overall pretty relaxed riding with the group. The mpg indicated claims 58 mpg trip total. IMG_20210522_200329313_HDR.jpg
    3sum, falcofred and mumu37 like this.
  9. falcofred

falcofred aka Beer Scout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extreme N.E. Tennessee = Motorcycle Nirvana
    Parking lot of the Baymont by Wyndham in Marietta OH. I've stayed there many times during the MSTA Mail Pouch Fly By rally. Great riding in that area, I'll be there in late August.
    cwjb and theimer2 like this.
  10. falcofred

falcofred aka Beer Scout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extreme N.E. Tennessee = Motorcycle Nirvana
    :y0!Max lean, is that into the 'stiff chassis' zone of the Michelin Road 5?
    cwjb, 3sum and Tarmac Kid like this.
  11. 3sum

Oddometer:
    IMG_7171.jpg

I guess is the anti-Tracer SP. lol she still boogies loaded down, especially now with the upgraded suspension.
  12. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wired in my GPS to the extra switched power port in the front behind the windscreen yesterday. Pretty easy to do. I had a crimper tool from some other wiring projects I have done. IMG_20210528_141304800.jpg IMG_20210528_143926499.jpg
    3sum likes this.
  13. Billyj7175

Billyj7175 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I brought home a leftover 2020 GT yesterday. Only 15 miles on it so far, so I've got some catching up to do. I look forward to learning about this new bike for sure. Bad weather here in the Sooner State is putting a major damper on my break in plans. Can't wait to see what she'll do up top.
    Anybody else having issues finding aftermarket parts that are in stock? Supplies for this bike are limited for sure.
  14. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got mine. I added the Yamaha touring wind screen, and after market lift stand spools. Had no problems getting those. I ordered the last Garmin wire harness on Amazon I could find. Other than that I do not have any plans for other mods at this point.
  15. 3sum

Oddometer:
    This is just anecdotal but when I had my uh, situation back in October, it took until February to get the bike back from the dealer due to OEM parts on backorder. I know you said aftermarket but I’d bet it’s all tied in together.
  16. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Everything is slow to order these days. It's just the way it is.
    I put 1200 kms on the bike this weekend and tried out my new Puig touring screen (finally arrived after being out of stock since March). Puts the bug splatter just above the chin height when on low setting. Was hoping for a decrease in helmet noise, but results are so-so. Still more buffeting than I'd like, but quieter than stock. Will be a good winter screen to keep the air blast off the neck area.
  17. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed the Yamaha touring screen. It did improve the buffeting noise over the stock screen. It is not perfect but with ear plugs in it is pretty good. I will leave it in place.
    3sum likes this.
  18. 3sum

Oddometer:
    I have the Yamaha touring screen also, but I’ve become a fan of the super low screen (Puig Sport screen). I only use the Yamaha screen in the winter now.
    cwjb likes this.
  19. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm thinking of getting a shorty for the hot hot heat of summer. Ironically, the screen I wanted for the cold weather arrived just as things were hotting up. I can hardly tell I'm wearing a mesh jacket with that thing mounted.

I think I'm going to try running without any windshield and see what that's like.

Here's an unrelated question: I find the throttle grip quite loose side to side. I can move it from left to right and back by what seems a couple of millimeters (1/8 inch). I haven't actually measured, but I've never felt such slop in a throttle tube. Is this normal on this bike? It's a small irritation, but it's an irritation.
  20. CRFan1

CRFan1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That side to side play is normal and if you think the Tracer is bad, go check out a KTM, lol