Yamaha Tracer 900GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by hankgs, Nov 8, 2017.

1. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know it's not abnormal. Maybe I can stop noticing it now. BTW: I've ridden a couple KTMs and have lots of miles on a 790. Never noticed it on them.
    CRFan1 likes this.
  2. murdock2002

murdock2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did anyone cross-shop the 2019+ Tracer 900 GT and the 2019+ Ducati Multistrada 950s?

Seems like the biggest criticism of the Tracer over the Ducati was the suspension...I guess my question is it a significant difference, mainly for use on the highways and weekend rides on country roads (not track use)?
  3. cwjb

cwjb Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the price difference you could install a top of the line suspension and still have a few thousand left over. A lot of people are fine with the stock suspension though.
    murdock2002 and MapMaster like this.
  4. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
    The following is the best post in all 82 pages of this thread.

cwjb, murdock2002 and falcofred like this.
  5. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the chance to demo this bike yesterday as the Yamaha fleet was at a dealership in Minneapolis. I am looking for an eventual replacement of my 2014 Triumph Tiger 800. Overall, I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped. The bike is still a big step up from my Tiger, but I didn't come away saying, "Yes, this is the bike!" The pegs were a bit higher and more rearset than I prefer. Not much of an issue when you are in some twisties moving around, but I'm not sure my 61 year old knees would be happy on the longer Interstate miles.

I did find the screen caused more wind noise than I am used to. I believe there is some adjustment to it, but I really didn't have a chance to play around with it. I did find the engine a bit more vibey in some rpm ranges, this I wasn't expecting. Perhaps just a part of a triple as my Tiger is the same way.

It is a bit difficult to get a good read on these short, group demo rides. Plus, you can't open the bikes up and really see what they can do. I didn't get to play with rider modes or anything. The brakes were very good and the bike handled great. It has heated handgrips and cruise control, two things my next bike will be required to have.

So, this model isn't out of the running. It just didn't bowl me over as I had hoped it would. Other bikes I my short list include the Tiger 900 GT, BMW XR900T, and the Ducati 950 Multistrada.

I did demo the Yamaha XSR 700. I was completely surprised at what a fun, torquey bike that was!!
    hellsbuddha likes this.
  6. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own a 2015 FJ-09 and rented a Tiger 800 a couple of years ago in Los Angeles and I agree, the pegs are lower on the Tiger. For me this was a problem as I spent most of the weekend aggressively riding canyons and I was constantly scraping the pegs. I was also struck by how flaccid and boring the Tiger motor felt compared to the Yamaha. I thought they would be similar but they really weren't.

That said, I actually felt that the Tiger was smoother (less vibey) than the Yamaha. The FJ/Tracer motor is highly sensitive to TB sync and will vibrate more if they are out of sync a bit. And as you pointed out, wind management on the FJ/Tracer is abysmal. I was left with the impression that the Triumph is a better tourer, but the Yamaha is a better sportbike.

The Tracer can certainly serve as a long distance tourer; I actually rode my FJ-09 from Oregon to Minneapolis and back last summer. But it's modified with a huge Madstad windshield, custom seat, FJR footpegs, MCCruise, and various other farkles.
    JeffPM likes this.
  7. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    See if you can rent one through Twisted Road or Riders Share. That's how I ended up owning one. I demoed it twice at the demo truck, but the short trip around the block wasn't enough to tell me if I really liked it. A full day ride (400 miles on back roads) sold me on it. Well worth the $140 for the rental
    victor441, JeffPM and Tarmac Kid like this.
  8. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new 2021 Tracer 9 GT will be a substantial upgrade once it becomes available. I haven't ridden it yet as it is just hitting the states but I will next month. The updated frame, engine and riding position on the MT-09 was a huge upgrade from the previous generation which will carry over to the new Tracer. I am very intrigued by this new edition and am really looking forward to some seat time.

The 700 series bikes from Yamaha are impressive. They punch above their weight class are are just plain fun.

I suspect I will see you Friday or Saturday at Eden Prairie. I will be there all day both days as I was at Lakeville. I don't recall all the bikes you test rode the last 2 days but be sure to ride one of the two MT-09's if you haven't already done so.
    hellsbuddha likes this.
  9. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, I won't be at Eden Prairie. I drove up from Milwaukee for that Tuesday demo in Lakeville. I had to get back so just rode the Tracer 900 and the XSR 700. I am definitely interested in the 9GT Trader when it arrives.
  10. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Consider heading up to Road America this weekend. They will have demo's Friday, Saturday, and part of Sunday.
    JeffPM likes this.
  11. hellsbuddha

hellsbuddha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a small write up on the new tracer, copied below

Well I test rode a GT today. Coming from a Duke 790 the bike felt great. Brakes about the same as mine, suspension better but not as wow as I expected. Handling was sure footed and easy to point the front wheel where I wanted with lots of feel. I know the Duke is better but not night and day, handling is extremely good.
    Engine note sounds awesome and the quick shifter is in a different league to mine.

Engine felt lovely and loads of torque. Riding position was great and at 6ft the lower seat height worked for me. Clutch was light and easy to use.

Cruise control, drive modes all easy to use. Passing light a bit more difficult as it's in a different place. Handguards really effective.

Downsides. Sidestand was a pain and I am not used to it, but its a gripe.

Bigger issue is the buffeting with the screen at the highest position. There was also some knocking but I am not sure if that was the screen holder 'bouncing'.

Fuel economy soso about 50 mpg - uk

I loved it but cant afford it. I didn't think the semi-active suspension was that good and still believe an aftermarket suspension is better (but it would cost the thick end of nearly £1500, which is nearly the difference between the touring version of the T9 and non-touring version - at least in the UK).

For cost reasons, I am going to get the 'old' tracer, simply because I want the cruise control. I know the smaller engined 700 is probably better for me, but the 900 is slightly bigger in size - allowing for more room everywhere, which I prefer, has cruise, a nicer dash and most importantly has cruise and a quickshifter.

That CP2/ 700 engine is fun powerplant though.
  12. hellsbuddha

hellsbuddha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a few questions, pre-purchase - what is the issue with the standard panniers and doesn't get the FJR ones make the bike a lot wider, especially if you want to lane split (which I do a lot in the UK as even the freeways got jammed up)?

Rear racks - is the Yamaha ones the best to get? It seems the easiest to fit - the givi and sw motech ones seem to require dismantling half the rear of the bike!

Finally, is access to the battery easy- as I want to connect my gps, charging cable and electric vest cables up?

thanks

sam
  13. Gapscratch

Gapscratch I love curves!

Oddometer:
    Yes the FJR cases are wider, not sure exactly how much. I believe somewhere back in this thread comparison pics were posted. This will affect lane splitting/filtering, not in a good way. :hmmmmm

Yes the Yamaha rear rack is a breeze to fit, replaces the hand holds. The aftermarket are likely heavier duty, hence the extra installation steps. I have the Yammie rack, all I have on it is a soft Ogio tailpack, works perfect. Might add the Yamaha top case in the future.

Battery is directly under the riders seat, easy access to do whatever you need, though if adding all that, you might want to add a dedicated fuse block.
    I just added a Battery Tender plug to mine, I don't have a bunch of extra gadgets to run. Try the search tab for more info.
  14. 3sum

3sum local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    I have the Yamaha rack as well and love it for having a nice, large sized flat area for extras. I *did* have the OEM 50L topcase but didn’t care for it. Seems a little cheaply made to me. It ain’t no Givi, that’s for sure. I have a Kriega US30 bag that is the bees knees for waterproof storage. It mounts on the rear seat with quick connections for super fast on/off. That leaves the whole rack for extra storage if I want to bring the kitchen sink with me.
    twinrider likes this.
  15. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
    20210611_182350.jpg 20210611_182416.jpg
    I just picked up this 2015 with 7,000 miles on it. I haven't been able to find hard cases for it. Yamaha tail rack installed. Riding two up on this.
  16. Zeewe70

Zeewe70 Beer and more Beer

Oddometer:
    Just picked mine up two weeks ago, lightly used 2020 with all the good mods, love it. Took 3 months to find what I wanted. Drove 1300 miles to get it and rode it home, great trip.

Attached Files:

17. 3sum

3sum local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    When you get tired of those big, ugly, and wide FJR bags, let’s talk. Lol
  18. Zeewe70

Zeewe70 Beer and more Beer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, no way, one of the many reasons I bought this. Did you notice the original owner painted the red side pieces to match the cases?
    3sum likes this.
  19. RckyMtnRdr

RckyMtnRdr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a lightly used 2019 Tracer 900 (non-GT) and it is has been interesting reading all of the comments in this thread. Looking forward to putting some miles on it.
    whisperquiet and 3sum like this.
  20. scottzilla

scottzilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a '19 a few weeks ago and put aprox 600 miles on it.
    Can I do a half assed review?
    First, i'm kind of a big dude (6'2",245lbs) so my impressions regarding performance and suspension are coming from the big dude perspective.
    I bought the bike with 6700 miles and rode it 200 miles north and then 215 miles home. My bike has a tinted MRA touring screen and a very loud aftermarket exhaust.
    Judging by many google searches and comments in various threads here, I wasn't alone wondering how the Tracer 900 stacks up against the other light(ish) weight sport tourers out there. I considered the Ducati 950 and 1200s, Verseys 1000, DL1000, XR1000 and even considered finding a clean FJR1300 to try out. Two up comfort was an important factor to consider. A huge factor in my decision to purchase the Tracer was price-it was simply cheaper than everything else and you seemed to get a lot for the money. That said, there are some reasons the Tracer is less expensive. In simple terms, the Tracer was built as a budget bike that Yamaha threw updates at over time and in many ways, it shows. I'm not saying it's cheaply built, rather the sum of it's parts feel like....well, the sum of it's parts when you blast down the road.
    My biggest concerns regarding the Tracer were:
    Suspension.
    Engine.
    SPORT-touring, not sport-TOURING.
    Let's begin....
    Suspension: Damping isn't terrible. It soaks up bumps at both ends without much wallow at all. I have things turned up just shy of max and it's not bad. I can feel the front and rear working independently of each other which is annoying but this is due to the fact that it's too softly sprung. I have a feeling the too-softly-sprung feeling is masking damping issues but we'll see.
    I installed Roadsmart 3's hoping they would make the front end feel planted but they didn't help much.

Engine: everyone says it's "Fun" but I was worried 105RWHP was not going to be enough. Well, it is kinda fun actually! My old Speed Triple had my most favorite motor of any bike I ever owned so I was happy to get back into a triple. It wants to wheelie in first (The too-soft rear spring helps i'm sure) and it has a lot of passing power. I rode 200 miles on the hwy in heavy traffic ranging from dead stopped to 90+ mph and it just went. Hold 6th gear at 70 and just open the throttle to blast past anything that needs blasting past. Shit, at 85mph it will blast past just as fast. It's nice. That said, hit the twisties and there's a dead spot at the midrange that makes driving out of corners a bit meh. Doesn't do the engine justice. Coming out a gear down upsets the chassis too much so I need time to figure this out. It's not terrible but it's like there's a hole in the midrange. I also need to experiment with A and B mode a little.

Which leads to the Sport/Touring thing. It's comfortable and great for two-up. That suspension though....
    It gets blown around on the hwy a lot, more than any bike i've ever owned . I removed the center stand almost immediately! Kept dragging that thing.
    The foot pegs are below and more forward than they should be, but as it is they interfere with the rear pegs so moving them back isn't an option.
    I've heard the cockpit is loud-it is, but the air is clean with no buffeting and a lot of air hits you without causing fatigue. I like to feel the air on a bike so if you are one of those guys that likes to sit behind a gigantic lexan shield you may be disappointed.
    It does a good job keeping my legs out of the wind but there's some engine heat to deal with coming out of the left side.
    Brakes are good-no issues there. The front end doesn't collapse under hard braking, further confusing my understanding of the suspension.
    The seat is typical Japanese-feels fine and then suddenly makes you want to jump off the bike after an hour or so. How do they do that?

So is it SPORT or TOURING? Well, it isn't SPORT. I thrashed the thing on my favorite backroads and it felt....weird. The front feels somewhat vague and it wants to run wide. The Throttle kind of Comes on suddenly as you roll on (That dead spot I mentioned earlier).
    But....if i'm being honest all I had to do was dial it down just a little bit-to twice the speed limit-and the bike felt fine.:D
    And, if i'm being honest, I was looking for a sport-tourer, not a full on sport bike.
    So I seem to be one Ohlins shock and one spring kit away from complete satisfaction and i'm still many thousands of $$$ ahead.
    Life is good.