Yamaha Tracer 900GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by hankgs, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
  2. 3sum

3sum local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    On the suspension, I had Traxxion Dynamics put a Penske 8983 on and revalve the forks. It transformed the handling.

As far as the sport part goes, Nick Ienatch would disagree with you (as would I). Once you do the suspension, I think you’ll be much more happy.

I totally get it with the Triple. I’ve had 6 Hinckley Triples, 2 of which were Speed Triples. I still have a Tiger. I believe a Triple is the best motorcycle engine, hands down.
    Kikemon and scottzilla like this.
  3. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are completely overlooking the effects the chassis has on both handling and general riding. At your weight you are definitely experiencing chassis flex. I am the same height and very close to the same weight and the chassis flex on your bike is very, very noticeable. It has been substantially improved on the Tracer 9 GT.

I am very surprised to see you believe the pegs are too far forward. I have never read about anyone else with the same concern. I found them to be 4 inches too far back. The engine is tilted forward necessitating their already more rearward position. I could only ride the bike for 45 minutes before I started squirming because they were too far back. Compared to several other bikes I find more comfortable they are definitely more rearward.

If you stiffen up the suspension you will find that even more of the load is being transferred to the chassis. The chassis flex is causing the vague feeling in corners and is not something that can be solved.

Try this simple test to see what I am talking about. Find a nice smooth clean turn that you know well and will not impart much if any movement in the suspension. Take it at a brisk steady state speed. In mid turn while the chassis is loaded but the suspension is stable give the handlebar a sharp tug and let it recover. You should notice a distinct delay before it settles back to your chosen line. That will be the chassis flexing and not the suspension.
    Tarmac Kid and scottzilla like this.
  4. scottzilla

scottzilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I agree. This is what I meant when stating "sum of it's parts" and I could tell the soft springs were hiding other issues. It's very much a budget bike in the chassis dept. But...I think an Ohlins will help alot.:D

I like having my feet below me at min, below and behind at best. Just my preference. It's easier on my lower back.

In the 2021 Tracer thread I mentioned the former owner of my bike bought a 2021 and he says it's a very different, much improved bike in every way.
    bmac likes this.
  5. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a LOT better. I spent more time on one today and the whole bike is very impressive except for one glaring fault, the instruments. At my height all I see is an excessive amount of glare coming from the instruments, so much so, that very often I have no idea what the instruments are displaying. Yamaha along with many other manufacturers need to walk over to the BMW display and copy whatever the hell they are doing as there is NEVER a case where the information displayed is not clearly legible on their TFT.

The revised chassis is significantly stiffer and you feel it right away. The engine is smoother and more powerful along with better fuel mileage. Yamaha made a whole bunch of other little improvements that add up to a whole lot.

The Ohlins may not help as much as you might think. I had the same chassis in a FZ-09 with an Ohlins shock and a completely reworked fork and it would no longer pogo but you could still not make mid corner corrections without the chassis taking a hell of a long time to settle down. Japanese racing sardines may not notice an issue but many of us full sized Americans will.
    Rodrigues and Tarmac Kid like this.
  6. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mutant.png

Thread bump because new tires - Dunlop Mutants. about 100 miles in, so far I like them. They haven't seen the wet yet, which is supposed to be their forte.
    cwjb, 3sum and roadrash83 like this.
  7. 3sum

Oddometer:
    If you’re in the SE, go out today and you’ll get more than you want of its wet performance!
  8. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    9160E6E6-5279-4F82-B004-23D23FB7284D.jpeg
    cwjb, Bors, firstshadow and 8 others like this.
  9. billyal33

billyal33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice lookin bike there with a spectacular back ground as well. I think the old model looks better than the new one, smaller too.
    cwjb, Clem Fandango and 3sum like this.
  10. 3sum

Oddometer:
    Anyone have an issue with the cruise control disengaging after it’s set? Mine just started doing it. I don’t know if it is anything to do with it, but I just put a new chain and sprockets (-1 on the front & stock size on rear) and changed both tires. It would hold for a couple seconds and then disengage.

I got a suggestion from the Tracer forum to adjust the clutch cable but it didn’t fix it. It will hold for 5-10 seconds now, but still disengages.
    cwjb likes this.
  11. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would go back to the stock front sprocket just to see if it still does it.
    cwjb likes this.
  12. 3sum

Oddometer:
    I thought of that. I’ve just been hesitant for some reason. When I eventually do that, I’ll order a new nut too. That staked nut was good enough to reuse once but I won’t chance it for another time.
    cwjb likes this.
  13. open1mind

open1mind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Note there was a recall on the Brake switch- and one sympton is false triggers to cruise control. You should have the recall done regardless (perhaps you have), and that might be the problem. Hope so...
    cwjb likes this.
  14. 3sum

Oddometer:
    Yes, I had the recall done last year. It’s not that because I was one that needed it done. My cruise control light constantly blinked then. It’s solid now and “works” but will disengage shortly after setting it.
    cwjb likes this.
  15. cwjb

cwjb Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a similar problem with a strange difference- cc works exactly as it should but only in 6th gear. In any other gear, cruise will engage as it should but then disengage after between a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes.
    I've replaced the front brake light switch, adjusted the rear brake light switch, returned to the stock levers pulled and cleaned the gear indicator switch.
    Curiously I also changed the front sprocket buy I went up one tooth. Don't really know what to look at next.
    3sum likes this.
  16. 3sum

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain but yours seems even more odd. Once the rain is gone here I plan to take it on another run up the road to see if the additional adjustment I did to the clutch cable makes any more difference. I kind of doubt it though. Only thing “different” I’ve done is dropping a tooth on that sprocket.
  17. cwjb

cwjb Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope that helps but I've had mine everywhere between tight and agood 3/16". Another thing on mine is that the time interval between engage and disengage is completely random. I'll do something,take it for a ride and it will stay engaged for a few minutes and I'll think it helped. Later in the ride it will drop out after a couple seconds. Also, the disengagement doesn't have anything to do with speed, engine speed or bumpiness of the road. The same for it working properly in 6th.
  18. beardothebeardo

beardothebeardo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. falcofred

falcofred aka Beer Scout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extreme N.E. Tennessee = Motorcycle Nirvana
    Tarmac Kid likes this.
  20. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    Looks like the Madstad. I'm a fan of mine, except for the little logo cutout in the mounting plate whistles something fierce above 60mph. I covered mine with tape.
    [​IMG]
    KeithU likes this.