Yamaha Tracer 900GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by hankgs, Nov 8, 2017.

1. ericm

ericm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that fixes all the issues I have with my FJ-09 and a number that I don't have. They even fixed the mirrors and lowered the passenger pegs. If I didn't have an almost fully sorted FJ I'd be getting one.
  2. NickBrewer3

NickBrewer3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, the Yamaha USA Website now has prices for the Tracer's. The Tracer 900 is $10,699 and the Tracer 900 GT is $12,999
    oldoval and de Vaca like this.
  3. de Vaca

de Vaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am surprised that the base model MSRP stayed the same. Still a good deal on a great bike.
  4. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
    Same price as the MT-10. Another inmate said a rep stated that Yamaha wanted to price the GT under the MT-10. I guess they missed the goal by $1.

Not a bad deal, about $500 more than a good deal, IMO.
  5. NickBrewer3

NickBrewer3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And now the prices are gone again....
  6. NickBrewer3

NickBrewer3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And now the prices are back on the website along with more details on specs and it shows available from June 2018, so it appears that dealers can now place orders for them....
    de Vaca likes this.
  7. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    I'd say that's a good price. Same price as the Versys 1000LT (maybe not so) coincidentally.

The Yamaha has quite a few goods over the Kawasaki. TFT dash, standard heated grips, standard quick-shifter, standard cruise control, quite a bit lighter.

The specs per Yamaha's site say this bike minus bags is a full hundred pounds lighter than my Super Tenere.

I'd say they have a winner.

mrbreeze and BalancePoint like this.
  8. korydz

korydz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And it’s in the Yamaha Canada site! In two colours (although the other option is pretty weak).

I’m thrilled, and going to see my dealer tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a bit surprising to me that a "professional reviewer" would suggest that all sport touring bikes with longer swingarms move around a bit more and aren't quite as settled when pushed compared to their sporting counterparts. That is not the case. As a former FZ-09 and FJ-09 I can state with absolute certainty that these bikes move around more when pushed because the chassis is not as rigid as many other bikes. Sudden mid-corner corrections will cause the bike to wallow a bit. I found this to be true even with the suspension sorted. The bigger the rider the more pronounced the effect.

If the chassis is stiff enough a longer swingarm will not cause the handling to degrade when pushed.
  10. Bones Over Metal

Bones Over Metal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the Canadian site as a 2019 model !

11. arr2

arr2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stopped by the local dealer today. They didn't know much, in fact I told them things about the bike they didn't know.
    They did say that they would know pricing on the bikes on June 16th. Sounded like all the new Yamahas not just the Tracers. The guy said they were not sure they would bring one in. Asked me if I wanted to order one.
    I am considering this bike to replace my Super Tenere, but only if my lady fits on the back. If he doesn't bring one in I'll have to find another dealer.
  12. BalancePoint

BalancePoint Local idiot. Aspiring to regional status.

Oddometer:
    Mine too. I’ve been anticipating/dreading this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:

As an FZ-09 owner, I concur. I spent big bucks on full Ohlins F&R and raised the forks 1/4", and it still has that slight sense of wallow when pushing the bike hard in bumpy corners. It doesn't really upset the bike, but it is not confidence inspiring.

Great observation, bmac.
  14. ericm

ericm Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I changed the tires on my FJ-09 from the stock ones to Metzler Roadtech Z8s the hinge in the middle feeling pretty much went away. I think this bike is sensitive to tire profile or construction. Before the tire change I was really questioning my purchase. The 9000GT would need significantly improved suspension over my '15 FJ to be a real deal. I replaced mine with totally redone forks and a Hyperpro shock. Yamaha added adjusters on the GT; they also need to fix the damping. I need to try raising the forks, it feels like that will help handling though at a slight reduction in stability.
  15. Rodan

Rodan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

The front end never felt good on the stock Dunlops. PR4s made a world of difference. After the tire change and lowering the front slightly I stopped shopping suspension mods. It ain't perfect, but I'm not willing to spend the $$$$ to get that last 10% on a street bike.
    Tarmac Kid likes this.
  16. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point most people will never use what the bike is capable of and for those that think it is lacking they can look to other brands, but for the price it is being sold for, it's a lot of bike for the money, especially when high volume dealers will discount it off of MSRP, it's any even better value.
    Tarmac Kid likes this.
  17. colorider

colorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Talked to my dealer as well and he was aware of MSRP, but did not seem to know what his cost will be. Maybe this is where the June 16 date comes in. He said he could order one now (or actually next Thursday) but all he could offer for pricing was full MSRP due to the new model situation. I’m really not sure if Yamaha includes freight and setup in MSRP or if it is an add on (like Kawasaki shows on their pricing). He did agree to wave this charge, but that may or not really mean anything. I really want to pull the trigger, but have a problem with full MSRP. Decisions - decisions.........

Oh yes, he did say he would require a deposit to order, but this may be a common practice.
  18. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    MSRP is just that, the price the manufacturer sets (recommends) for the bike. It doesn't include shipping/delivery, setup (PDI), registration fees or taxes. Some dealers advertise OTD prices, but not all. If you were quoted price as MSRP, it likely doesn't include any of those fees.

Gustavo
  19. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
    My dealer just quoted me $12,180 + $387 freight + $963.69 TN Sales Tax for an OTD price of $13,530.69 I'm not sure when he will have the first bike though he already ordered one.
  20. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:

Congrats on the order and hope you get it soon and give us a full review. This bike is on my radar. Odd that the GT is almost $2500 more than the standard.

Ouch on the sales tax. It's great buying big ticket items here in Montana. No sales tax.