1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha Tricity 300 Finally Here!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Uri, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Uri

Uri Scooterman

Oddometer:
    The Yamaha Tricity 300 is finally here and I got to ride it! I'm opening a new thread as the old one has too many pages of guessing.

As far as I know, the launch in Tel-Aviv was the first in the world. I got some responses in the other thread that it wasn't but non were supported by evidence. The first video I could find on Youtube of the Yamaha Tricity 300 that is not made of Yamaha's official footage is mine!

The video is in Hebrew but you can see the scooter in action. You can Google-translate the whole article found here.

To summarize:
    • Benefits: Dynamic behavior, living space, comfort, finish, price
    • Cons: Brakes can be stronger, no glove compartment
    • Bottom line: Spacious, luxurious, well-equipped and safe scooter; Good tricycle at a good price
    Ask me anything!

Thanks, Uri
    Martijn Wils likes this.
  2. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Cons: 130 Lb heavier than an Xmax.

Bill
    Uri likes this.
  3. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From the video it looks like it steers like a bicycle at a walking pace, but I'm not clear if it counter steers like a regular motorcycle at speeds above that ?

My other question is ; is it just a smaller engine version of the Niken ??

Thanks for posting the video :-)
    Uri likes this.
  4. Uri

Uri Scooterman

Oddometer:
    It countersteers just like any other bike.
    It's engine is from the Yamaha Xmax 300. 1 cylinder 300 cc 28 bhp. Nothing to do with the Niken's engine.
    Martijn Wils and ClearwaterBMW like this.
  5. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    well..... then, as Bill said above
    that's just too anemic for THIS platform.... and I LOVE MY XMAX 300
    28 hp for that?
    maybe for a city where one would NEVER ride at speeds above 30 mph (like NYC)
    i just don't understand why they would hang 130# more weight on an XMAX
    no offense intended.... but, i'm just saying...
  6. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I don't understand - both Piaggio and Yamaha build these machines that should be great for long rides and multi day trips and then provide very little storage space and small accommodations for a passenger. Not even a rear rack! These are bulky and heavy machines to be limited to commuter duty.
  7. MiniBike

MiniBike Still here...

Oddometer:
    Nicely styled. I can see it being a good option for urban commuters and riders with declining balance issues. One less car.
    Uri likes this.
  8. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't worry folks it will never end up on the U.S. It was not designed for our market. Commuting not touring is its main purpose so the extra weight and lack of storage is not really a factor. It is following the path of the Piaggio MP3 series that have been fairly successful in Europe. Beats a two wheeled scooter any day commuting in the rain.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    European coblestone cities are the prime design intent for these machines. They are very effective there from a safety standpoint. These will sell very well in Paris.
    Martijn Wils, Uri and DandyDoug like this.
  10. Martijn Wils

Martijn Wils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, and over cobblestones and embedded tram rails as well. Wet or dry, the safety advantages are significant.
    DandyDoug likes this.