Yamaha Tricity 300

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Tnbrit, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Tnbrit

Tnbrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've just been reading a thread on Muppets,Yamaha are releasing a Tricity 300 at NEC in November,i've not read a thread about it on here so thought i'd post this.
    If there is already a thread,i'm late as usual.:-)
  2. Tnbrit

Tnbrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now y'all don't get too excited.:D
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since you didn't include any information and I doubt that the tri city, whatever it is, will make it to the USA, it's hard to get excited.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just researched it. The tri City is a three wheeled scooter. Now I'm really not interested.
    forkintheroad and CROSSBOLT like this.
  5. Tnbrit

Tnbrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it's a 300(XMAX ?)engine version of thr Tricity 125, 3 wheeler.
    I didn't include any info a bit beyond my computer ability,at my age I feel myself fortunate to be able to use a computer & type,posting links is out.:-)
    i suppose because of my advancing years i'm a lot more interested in these 3 wheel scooters than I used to be,but a normal scooter will probably come first,an XMAX for instance,will be a lot more manageable than our FatBob as long as it can handle a passenger.
  6. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
  7. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well Cashcow did a multi day trip with his daughter on an Xmax and they both seemed to enjoy it. Read through his Rocket & Me thread for earlier this year.
    kpinvt and CashCow like this.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Corner traction is unreal on 3 wheel leaners!
    I ride my MP3 when everyone is sucking wind in their cages. Don't knock it till you try one as the corner just the same if not better.
    vertex and Tpnewsk like this.
  10. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    At the Yamaha demo rides during the Sturgis Rally, we did see this 3 wheeler...

[​IMG]

No, we didn't ride it... seems we were focused on an Xmax or the BMW C400x. A Niken... probably a great ride, just not "the scoot" we were looking for. I recall that looking a bit ungainly.
  11. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I have never understood the three wheeler interest.

To me, they just add weight and complication to an already fine machine.

The only positive comment so far here is the better grip at the front.

I have never lost grip on the front of my two wheelers, so why fix something that isn't broken.

I rode Lostboater's short lived Piaggio MP3 last year. We swapped back and forth between that and his Vespa GTS 300.

The Vespa was far more fun to ride than the MP3.

I say "short lived" because he only owned it for a couple of months and sold it a few weeks after our ride.

And yes, an Xmax is great two up.

Bill
    forkintheroad and klaviator like this.
  12. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is what the camera folks, bike support and medics were riding during the Tour de France this year. They replaced BMWs as the support motorcycle of choice.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    It shines in old European cities with alot of cobbelstone streets. That's the intended market. Have you even been to EU cities, they are packed with scooters everywhere. It's awesome to see them all.
    The US, on the other hand, is a dead scooter market and not the focus for these innovative machines.
    vertex, MJSfoto1956, cheapeto and 2 others like this.
  14. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife had an MP3 400 for a bit. Nice bike in many regards but I found the cockpit a bit ergonomically challenged.
    They take curves fine after you get used to 'em, had it down to the locks and felt pretty secure. I also read one made it all the way around an oiled track, something a two wheeler has not done.
    That said, my thought on 'em kinda relates to eakins statement.
    I think they'd be great knocking down fire roads and the like. If the Tri-City came here I'd give it a look.
  15. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have ridden in Europe.
    There are lots of scooters there.
    Eight weeks and 6000 km so far riding in Europe.
    Now I have access to a Vespa 300 GTS in Switzerland that I plan to use as much as possible in the future.
    I know that lots of people love the three wheelers.
    I am perfectly happy on two wheels.
    Bill

IMG_7343.JPG
    Riding into Poggibonsi on the Italy ride in 2016
  16. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its all about environment.
    Tilting three wheel scooters are hugely popular in European cities for two reasons.
    1: much safer, increased grip, think: wet cobbled diesel-spill icy roads....
    2: in many (most?) European countries you can ride them on a car licence, no (expensive and time consuming) motorcycle training or licence required, so the potential market for them is significantly increased.
    MJSfoto1956, cheapeto, kpinvt and 2 others like this.
  17. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
    #2 is what is touted in the Ride Apart article posted above. In VT I think you would still have to get a MC endorsement on your car license.
  18. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's just a copy of an MP3. Too complex for me. But one day I may be forced to ride a 3 wheeled vehicle. It would probably have the 2 wheels in the back. And no it wouldn't lean over like a bike. But out on the highway, it would feel the same as a bike except in curves. Most of my riding life has been spent on highways. I certainly do enjoy leaning a bike into a curve (though I am not a fan of sport bikes) but if you can't do it you can't do it. A large scooter trike or a Harley Sportster trike would be ideal if you were not able to ride on 2 wheels.
  19. Tpnewsk

Tpnewsk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol- I’ve definitely lost the front (and rear) on more than one occasion- usually due to sketchy/dirty/cold road conditions or just cold tires. Not something I’m keen to repeat.

I’m definitely curious to try one if they import them here. I ride all year in a 4 season climate except for icy days. The roads are garbage Dec-March, even if the weather is nice there’s still sand everywhere. The idea of still rippin corners hard in the winter I do find appealing, but without trying it’s hard to say if the extra weight and stuff won’t tamp down the fun quotient too much.

Current ride is a TMAX- not interested in a Piaggio LMW but a Yamaha definitely piques my interest.

12620A37-2502-4E7B-8ED8-B042C349FAF4.jpeg

93D6ADE0-0036-437D-9C57-DFE7EBFBCDF5.jpeg

3A5762C0-7418-411F-AA63-C633C1614F35.jpeg
    MJSfoto1956 and kpinvt like this.
  20. Tnbrit

Tnbrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've tried to find the answer to what is an important question(for me/us)but can't find the answer,has anyone read if the front locks in an upright position(when parked/stopped) ?
    Cheers.