1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha TW200 review... no really - - (beware, long)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by turbonotch, Apr 26, 2004.

1. bronc3

bronc3 Lucky 13

Oddometer:
    Yup, Mule's pretty active on the T-Dub site.
  2. DirtFun

DirtFun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mr. Cobb,

Thanks for the information about your wife and her TW. Last week I just bought my wife a 2005 TW with 57 miles on it. I took her out to a local Central Florida ATV place called Croom. The last time my wife rode Croom she broke:becca her right arm and left leg on her 1974 (like new, I mean it) XL125. Anyway, the accident was almost 13 years ago and she wanted to get back into dirt riding. My wife :ricky rides the Alp's on her F650CS like you won't belive and does nearly 5k per year on the street. However, she was very causious back on the dirt at first but ended the day doing very well. I've been eyeballing the TW for as long as it's been out as a near PERFECT trail riding machine for ALMOST anyone! My wife is average female height so she is just tippy toed on her TW. I'd like to lower it with suspension or tires but have yet to do much reasearch. I have seen there are only one set of tires available? Anyway, has your wife had fun on her's? Can you recommend any mods?

Thanks,
    DirtFun
  3. Johnny-Five

Johnny-Five Custom User Title

Oddometer:
    Hey DirtFun,

It's great to have another TW fan around here! Can't speak for the OP regarding what mods he would recommend, but if you shoot over to the TW forum, you'll be sure to get an ear-full :nod
  4. Centerline

Centerline USMC 71'-79'

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the TW Forum has lots of info and activity....however it takes WEEKS at the least to get the attention of the site owner/moderator to activate an account there.
  5. Robb

Robb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's mine as purchased from another ADV rider:
  6. Robb

Oddometer:
    ... and after a frame-up cosmetic restoration. Pic taken last week - see the ad in the classifieds for full details and more pics, it's for sale :)
  7. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    What year is that?
  8. Robb

Oddometer:
    I think the frame is an '87, if I recall correctly. I'll have to check the title tonight. Don't think they've changed them significantly since Moses wore short pants, though.
  9. kj7687

kj7687 KJ - just KJ - okay :)

Oddometer:
    Great, uh, story there I actually read the whole thing, very interesting. Most people just don't realize how capable the TW is for trail riding! Right now I'm considering a 55 tooth sprocket for mine(stock is 50). The bike really will go anywhere. Not fast, but it will go where you point it. I've done probably 1,500 off road miles in the past year and can't think of any hill I haven't made it up. If you are interested in Tdubs check out www.tw200forum.com it's great.
  10. OUTRACE

OUTRACE Geezer

Oddometer:
    Seattle, gateway to the northern MC heaven
    I'm that guy. 500 miles a day. I ran daylight only. Face it, the headlight sucks.

Anyway, it was loaded like a packmule and it got about 80 mpg at 60 mph. Loved that bike. Looking for another. It's one of those bikes that does everything well enough.
  11. ryanwilliamcantrell

ryanwilliamcantrell Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer:
  12. Ruskie

Ruskie Banned

Oddometer:
    Our family has had more TW's than any other single motorcycle.:thumb
    I had no intentions of buying another one. Then, my best friend past on a couple of years a go and I was able to buy his 06' with 31 miles on it. Now, we own yet one more TW.
    Excellent bikes:thumb
  13. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    My Wife has an 87 that she just got. We ride it two up all over town:evil
    Its more fun to ride than my BMW! Whats the hot gearing set up?
    Its got a 55 mph top speed and its like wringing its neck:deal
  14. turbonotch

turbonotch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 front sprocket is where it's at!

you don't even need to change the chain... it's a $7 sprocket. you'll need 30 minutes, the sprocket, tools, and some permatex sealant to swap the pulley.
  15. pondorotravis

pondorotravis pondorotravis

Oddometer:
    Well I put a new sproket +1 on the front and O chain on her and she purrs at 70 mph.....didn't loose anything on the hills or low gears.....got to say the TW has a fun factor of 10....:pynd :wings
  16. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    well I picked up a t dub today
    sounded like a great deal (and it seems like it was)
    :deal $2000 for a 2005 with 29 miles(owner took it on 3 hunting trips in 3 years)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ame=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=&item=250292957137

wow! was it unused - it had a ton of cobwebs on it, but it ran perfectly and is a blast to ride. :lol3

i took my 03 KTM 640 Adventure out for about a 50 mile ride and them stopped at the DMV and got a plate and registration for my new little ride :eek1

the t dub performed amazingly well - it is a bit slow off the line but holds it speed well and puts a smile on my face almost as big as my KTM:evil

nice stablemate for the KTM kindof like a little brother - in fact I put a bunch of KTM Racing stickers on it

more later....

first impressions - if you see one locally - buy it - 70 MPG! :D

Teeth to the wind,
    Sno Dawg
    KTM + Yamaha = KTMAHA
  17. lazyshisno

lazyshisno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    TW's are like Jet-Skis... You need to have them in pairs. I've got one for me and one for my wife and my best friend has one too. TDubs RULE!
  19. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Just to keep this old thread alive - here is a pix of the bike I got for the wife to ride and me to tinker with.

Fun bike around town, perfect beach bike, easy to work on, no speeding tickets.
  20. 45LC

45LC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Just picked mine up a few weeks ago and love it.

I've been riding 450cc dual sport bikes for years and just discovered this little monster. So far I'm impressed at how well it does off road.

Pretty darn slow compared to some of my other bikes but the fun factor is off the chart.