Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually just remove one bolt, no need to bother with the kickstand.
  2. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    I'm about to buy one of these to have on hand when needed. Just looked at mine and it's getting fairly worn. About to change chain/sprockets (11K on bike).

Anybody got a recommendation for a cheap and reliable online source.

I checked a few online OEM parts places I Googled and the best price I found was about $34 plus $17 shipping = $51

Called the dealer (50-mile round trip for me) and the pre-sales tax price was $49 ($54 after sales tax), plus gas to drive or ride there and back to pick it up. The dealer also required that they charge my card before placing the order and couldn't guarantee a date it would be in, so... why was it I wanted to buy from them?

If I'm gonna order online I may as well do it from the cheapest reliable supplier. Suggestions???
  3. Light_n_Fast

Light_n_Fast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised it came out like that! It was a pretty tight fit even with the kickstand out of the way. The end of the swingarm is tapered and the plastic guide is as well so I figured there just wouldn't be enough give to pull it back far enough.

I guess next time I'll have to try it your way so I can compare the extra "wrestling" with the effort for the 2 kickstand bolts. :D

4. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get mine here.
  5. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    That's about 15% less than the other places I was looking as their shipping is less... total of $43 vs $51!

Thanks 10Cup :thumb
  6. buelless

buelless Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody had any success mounting a tank bag on the 4.75 gallon ims tank? Going on a trip soon and need one ASAP! Any suggestions greatly appreciated.:ear
  7. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many teeth on your countershaft sprocket?
  8. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Even though he's (understandably) left this thread for better threads :rofl he's a big reason for a lot of our WRR happiness...so Happy Birthday, Mark!
  9. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    ...fit the new tank with no modifications except that I had to let out the front strap a couple of inches:

[​IMG]
  10. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Settings?? Only mods are flapper mod, No toil air filter and stocks exhaust. So not mods really. :D

I got these settings from another site and it feels pretty good.

G 2.5
    Y 2.5
    R .5
    GB 8
    YB 4
    RB 4.5

What are others running?? Easier to ask than try to read this whole thread again. ;)
  11. boogn1sh

boogn1sh Motorcycle crash-tester

Oddometer:
    From this thread back in 2009.
    Mine wasn't too deep and was an easy fix (easy with the swingarm removed)

<table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by boogn1sh

I filled the cuts in my swingarm with Quicksteel before installing the new swingarm guard. It is super sturdy now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

</td></tr></tbody></table>
  12. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    If you reposition the fuel sensor lower (located on the fuel pump), your low fuel light would probably not come on until you have about 1 gallon left.

I did so on my Safari tank. It used to come on after 1.5 gallon had been used, but now comes on after 2.8 gallons have been uses leaving .8 gallon for my reserve. The numbers will, of course, be different with the IMS tank because of the different mold.

I have an inbound IMS tank, so if no one else has done it by then, I'll be able to document at what point the low fuel light comes on with the sensor mod.

By the way, I documented/photographed the mod on my blog: http://mrchadx.blogspot.com/2011/04/i-installed-safari-3.html

13. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    ServiceHonda.com:
    SEAL, GUARD__3D7-22151-00-00__ retail $48.04__ your price $32.92
    (aka swingarm protector)
  14. boogn1sh

Oddometer:
    ServiceHonda.com mus know we are chatting about them, they just lowered the price $1.38. cha-ching.

from servicehonda.com
    SEAL, GUARD__3D7-22151-00-00__ retail $48.04__ your price $31.54
  15. onetravdown

onetravdown I can't ride where?

Oddometer:
    On mine
  16. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    That is what I am running too (well... I haven't gotten the bike off the stand since I installed the tuner). These are the numbers from High Five's last dyno run. :freaky
  17. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys. The numbers I got are from another board where someone called Dobeck, the maker of the programmer for FMF...and with a basically stock set up, those were the numbers they gave them.

I wonder if the difference in the first three settings, is due to having a different exhaust?? I'll use the set I have for now, and see how it feels, I'll keep these other set up numbers as a potential next set.

I have a dyno guy I have used for my street sport bikes, but he is way up in northern NJ. Doing some dyno runs would really be the best way to dial it in perfectly...but any little hair more than stock power right now is gravy.
  18. tshrey

tshrey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fits great, but I don't like the look of the Enduro tankbag straps running down the side (and the ability of anyone to get to the release clips - on my stock tank the clips were run under the side shrouds). I'm probably going to go to an Expedition tankbag, I think those strap come out toward the rear instead of the side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. boogn1sh

Oddometer:
    Sweet cage yo!
  20. tshrey

tshrey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It's funny, the weather has been so nice here lately I haven't driven the STI in two weeks :rofl