Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes. The first three numbers are essentially the 'jetting', or more accurately the jetting changes, for the fuel injector. The first number is fuel added over the stock base map (pilot jet). The second number is fuel added at partial throttle (needle jet and clip setting). The third number is fuel added at WOT (main jet).

The fourth number is used to adjust when in the RPM range the programmer takes over (8 is the highest number, meaning it takes over at about 2500rpm, giving up a clean lean idle along with the fuel we need above it since we don't lug our bikes that low). The fifth and sixth settings are the delay for adding fuel at the partial and WO throttle settings. Think of them as accelerator pumps to an extent, fine tuning these will increase ridability and smoothness of the power band at throttle changes but probably not affect power. They can also combat a lean condition at throttle tip-in if its a problem, I don't know if our bikes do that or not but some bikes (or cars or any other internal combustion engine) do.

With the airbox opened up and a free flow exhaust, we need more fuel at low to mid throttle openings but don't need it at WOT as the bike tends to run rich even modded when wide open, hence the settings you usually see of 3 5 0.5 8 x x (everyone seems to like different settings for the last two, I ran 0.5 on both, others run 4, 8, 1 etc).
  2. chief_lee_visceral

chief_lee_visceral Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are not the lone ranger on that one and it makes me feel better. Machines are made to serve us I says and this one needs some clutching to do some things I want.:freaky Though I don't think my clutch is slipping at 8500 miles.
  3. onetravdown

onetravdown I can't ride where?

Oddometer:
    Any of your bikes perform double duty? If so, lets see some pics of your setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. buelless

buelless Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looking bike and the Wolfman tankbag looks like a good fit. Gotta get me one...
  5. BadBrian

BadBrian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damint! Life is at times miserable. I just want my 250r! :norton
  6. Crooked Creek

Crooked Creek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I am not trying to start up a useless discussion and YES I have searched (and found a bunch of opinions and theories) but what I am wondering is if there is anyone who has been running regular gas in their WR250R long term and if so, what octane and where.

I just bought my R2 two days ago and in my excitement I didn't consider a 91 octane requirement. The nearest premium (91) or mid-grade (89) fuel is 37 km and in the direction that I never travel. Over 80km to premium in the other direction. I commute daily and 87 is all I have for practical purposes. Not keen on using octane boost, but if I have to I will. I guess. Never heard an engine "ping" before, would it be obvious?

I am in rural Alberta, Canada at 2200ft above sea level. Bike is bone stock. Looking for some real world experience here.

Thanks.
  7. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run a steady diet of regular.
  8. Yaozer

Yaozer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A while ago, someone did a write-up on installation of the IMS 3 gallon tank. It included photos and detailed instructions. Can someone find me the link? I looked and can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance.
  9. Machtig

Machtig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I finally got around to taking a couple photos of the new and improved HDB handguard turn signals. They are very slick. Have a look

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also will be running the CERA Fools Gold Enduro on sunday up near Georgetown, CA and installed some new knobbies. Non DOT legal Michelin S12 XCs in 130/80-18 and 90/90-21. They fit great, but I will warn you the front tire feels a little "funny" on the blacktop.

[​IMG]
  10. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. scoprire

scoprire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a factory seat cover that has the top panel slashed up. It's not any good to put on a bike, but if you are thinking of making a custom seat cover, it's probably good enough to use as a template. If anyone wants it, it's yours for the asking.

I've also got the factory foam that has 1/2 dozen slashes in it. Cuts are 1/2 - 1in deep and a bit ragged. No real chunks out, but it still might be noticeable under a cover unless repaired. If your thinking of experimenting on your seat, this would work. Send me a message and it's yours.
  12. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been running regular for the past 12,000 miles or so, nearly a year now. That was all through our New England/NS/Newfoundland/Labrador/Quebec loop last summer and here at home since. Bike is showing 21,xxx miles.

Sarah

13. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    I want that huge IMS tank bad! I am glad I held out. Woohoo! That thing is going to do wonders on a long ride.:clap
  14. Bonnie Abbzug

Bonnie Abbzug Property of Hayduke

Oddometer:
    +1

We just did a trip through northern New Mexico, and it got old having to stop and get gas at every station we saw. Although, the wind was so bad I mostly relished each break. :lol3
  15. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like there's an additional LED on the new ones compared to the
    older ones plus the bolt fastening. I've had to reglue my older signals
    as they have popped out of the guards but since they've been fine
    after a good coat of epoxy.
  16. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Hey Machtig ...

Do you have any pics from the front at a distance to see how bright they are ??

Thanks ...
  17. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Wow, how did that one sneak up? I don't remember seeing it on the calendar when I last checked about a month ago. Hope you have a great time, the S12's are some of my favorites. I like the M12 front a little better, the S12 rear is hard to beat, although I am liking the new Dunlop MX51 (and the 756) just as well on my YZ's.
  18. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    I'd be glad to take someone's 3.1 gallon tank, if they decided to upgraded to the tanker tank. :D:D
  19. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:
    I beat the snot out of mine, so I run 93. If you are running below 90 you might just consider making the mixture a bit richer to supress knocking.
  20. DingWeed

DingWeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run regular whenever premium is not available.....no problems.

Scott