Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    By adjust rear shock, do you mean a video showing how to turn a screw driver and/or the black knob on bottom, and counting the clicks??
    ?
  2. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    Going to be doing the southern part of the TNJT..Trans New Jersey Trail...here in the near future.

Just some of the shots:

Walmart ATV seat pad, trimmed to fit:

[​IMG]

Automotive Machine Supply rack set up for carrying Wolfman bags. Alfa-Beta bag on there..will also be a dry duffle in front of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wolfman racks being used with Dirtbagz bags:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Album with all shots here:

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g467/DougZ73/Trip prep/?albumview=slideshow
  3. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    Here is my method. Adjust the chain to where it looks right, then i sit on the bike and bounce it while reaching down and checking the slack. You should have a little play when mostly compressed. This avoids countershaftleaks and wear on the slider.

Also, keep the chain lubed with gear oil rather than chain wax. It keeps the link looser and has less tendency to bunch up when using engine braking, which is whenthe wear happens.

4. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Yes that's what I mean...
  5. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Great ride! I've been down Lippincott a couple of times, on four wheels, it's hecka road.
  6. tshrey

tshrey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure how I missed this post. That may be the case on your bike, but on mine (and the two others I've ridden) it has nothing to do with the oil. If you get the bike rolling to the point where you don't have the clutch disengaged at all and then roll on the throttle the bike will bog.

When cold motors need more fuel because some of the atomized fuel sticks to the walls of the intake and condenses rather than going into the combustion chamber. The FI makes up for this, but if your bike is running lean to start you will be more sensitive to this situation. On my bike I entered CO mode and found it set to -5 from the factory. I played with it for a while and wound up at +1. The throttle snatch is gone when warm and the bog doesn't exist when cold. I think Yamaha set these guys up as lean as they could from the factory.

Something to try for those of you who have the cold bog.

7. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    A chain adjustment required every two weeks was your clue to replace the chain.
  8. onetravdown

onetravdown I can't ride where?

Oddometer:
    It's a ton of fun! :evil
    [​IMG]
  9. vasculopath

vasculopath You are not your bike Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb

10. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    Before or after the bike became my sole transport and I started piling on miles far faster than I ever did before - like a 700 mile round trip commute once a week that I never used to do before?

The clue might have been a little hard to see when I've been racking up miles the last two months with the WRR my only form of transport, where before the Dodge was for transport and the bike was for fun.

Was the miles between chain adjustments the same as previous? Probably not, but don't know - I don't log the odo reading each time I adjust the chain, and I suspect few others do either.

Did I know new chain and sprockets was in the near future? Yep, that was planned for, was in the process of shopping around for them in fact. But obviously, I didn't appreciate how rapidly things could go south.
  11. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    A head's up for those contemplating the day they have to replace their swing arm slider. Unless I am having a run of bad luck, none of the Yamaha dealers I contacted had a "Seal, Guard" in stock. None of the big online parts stores had them in stock either. In both cases, they said they had to order from Yamaha first before shipping to me/calling me to come pick up.

As a result, the best I could do after phoning around was Yamaha Sports Plaza said they would guestimate what second day delivery would cost, charge me that for shipping, and then send the parts out as soon as they arrived from the Yamaha distributor. So they're saying I can expect four or five days for the parts to get to them from Yamaha, and then they're on their way to me. So about a week, even with paying for expedited shipping.

When I repair the hole eaten in the swingarm, I was planning on putting a piece of really hard steel in there to let the chain run on should this happen again. Embed it in JB Weld. My brother told me I might want to rethink that a bit to ensure I want to do that because a chain running on a really hard piece of steel may not be as preferable to aluminum as first appears. I will have to think about that for a bit...
  12. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soooo,
    Anyone have a broke fuel pump they can get to me quick?
    I broke the part that connects to the line.
    Have my first offroad ride on the WR planned for this weekend. I'll happily pay for overnight shipping + whatever you want for the pump within reason.
    It would be a crying shame if I had to bust out the XT.
  13. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. I could just as easily walk you through it over the phone..its really easy. If you wanna go that route, PM me some contact info and I'll give ya a shout one night after work this week.
  14. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    FWIW... I run my chain on the loose side and for nearly 10K miles never had a problem with it chainsawing into the guard or swingarm. But after switching to a 12T CS sprocket a few months back I checked the guard after about 1K miles and it was worn through and beginning to bite the swingarm.

It was time for a new chain/sprockets anyways, and I liked the 12/43 gearing, so I went with a 13/47 (bigger diameter sprocket at each end yielding almost the exact gearing as the 12/43) and put on a new swingarm guard at the same time.

After 1,400 miles there's no sign of wear on the guard as yet, still running the chain on the loose side as I do all my bikes. My checking method is to adjust like I think it should be, then get a buddy to check it as I bounce up and down on the suspension. I adjust until there's still a bit of slack throughout the travel.

Also FYI, I got Primary Drive brand chain and sprockets from Rocky Mountain MC... steel 47T rear and 13T front and a gold x-ring chain, all for about $100 shipped (actually, I had to add an extra master link to the order to get it over the $100 minimum for free shipping - final total was just under $101 shipped).

In the past I've used the DID x-ring chains mostly and have been well pleased, but this was such a great price and a knowledgable buddy recommended the PD stuff, so I thought I'd give it a try. I lube all my chains with the $5/can Dupont Teflon stuff from Lowe's.

With the DID chains on my old Dakar (over 70K miles on her), I was averaging 25-30K miles before the front sprockets got too hooked to continue. The actual chain could usually have gone longer, but I'd replace all three at the same time.

I'll post back here on how these chain and sprockets wear.
  15. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    Quoted for future reference when my stuff is ready to be replaced. :clap
  16. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Since I don't have the bog on either of our WRR (except the cold clutch pack bog), it would be interesting for me to check the factory settings. I ride down to about 10 degrees and haven't ever had the engine bog. Was there any variation on settings or do you think they were all set at -5 from the factory? I know others have entered that mode. If so, what did you find from the factory and where did you end up setting it?
  17. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    I've been running the Primary Drive brand 13/48 and chain for the last year (maybe 8,000 miles) and am very happy with them. Very little wear on my guard. Front sprocket is just starting to show signs of wear. Rear is in great shape. Chain seems good so far though may be starting to stretch a little faster now (or I may just be racking up more miles faster). I'm keeping my eye on things.
  18. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    remind me what stock gearing is?? 13/43??
  19. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    I'd like to hear more on this. While the spring will be deflected past the point of preload on bumps (adjusting preload doesn't change the weight range of the spring afterall), when one is cruising down the road (think of Jager in "limp home" mode), wouldn't cranking up the preload make the bike ride higher and therefor, less chain tension and less potential slider contact?

When one sets sag, one is doing that with your weight on the bike (and all your luggage if you adjust it before a big trip). That weight and sag stance will be pretty much the same whether stationary or cruising down the road, as Jager would be so cranking up the preload and taking out as much sag as one could would keep the stance taller and, while being a fairly uncomfortable ride, would lessen how compressed the suspension was while cruising home.
  20. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Yes, 13/43 for the R and 13/42 on the X.