Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of installing the Highway Dirt Bikes complete set up. I originally ordered the Henry Reed bend. I need 8 inches of straight bar for the controls, the HR bend only has 7. What bend has 8" of straight bar on both ends? I'm talking Pro Tapers Contour at this time. The HR bend is otherwise a good fit.
  2. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im running a MT43 rear on my WR with 13/47 gearing and its perfect for the way I ride. Unless the mud gets super deep and gooey the MT43 is a stellar rear for the WR. I have 1500 miles on it and its barely worn. 7psi in the dirt 12 psi the rest of the time. Smooth as silk on the road.
  3. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    13/47 and MT43 (12 psi all the time) - works for everything (D606 front). Last two MT43s got 3K miles and still had 1/8" tread in center.
  4. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:

Are you running rim locks at those pressures?
  5. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    Cool, Was that Jim on his red and white ATK (right end of line in photo):clap
    Sounds like about the same when I was up in 2010.{still not calling it a rally:wink:}
  6. easy_dualsport

easy_dualsport Easy E

Oddometer:
    I don't have your measurement answer but can tell you I have the full setup with the Woods High bend and like it quite a lot!
  7. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    I used to have the Henry/Reed bend, as it was recommended as the closest bend to the stock bend. But, once cutting them down, I did have issues with room for controls. After I bent those, I went with Carmichael bend, for the simple reason that is had the smallest width at the clamp, which meant more at the grip/control sections. Not sure what the actual inches were, but I know I had no issues for my controls. I liked that enough that I bought a set for my KTM 300 too.
  8. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    I haven't dealt with RaceTech, but can tell you that Travis at GoRace has done many, many WR250Rs and is a great guy to deal with. The work he did on my bike was, BY FAR, the best money I've spent on the bike! The day I was there in 2010 he was unpacking WR-R forks and shocks from somewhere in the Far East (Singapore, Indonesia, or somewhere like that), to revalve and tune. He's done a lot of 'em.

RaceTech is probably good too, but I haven't dealt with them. I can guarantee you won't be sorry if you use Travis at GoRace.
  9. YamahaTN

YamahaTN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pirelli Scorpion Pro's up front.
    MT-43's in the back.
    12/43 on the sprockets.
    Lovin' it everywhere except the really slick/deep mud.
    I will air them up when I leave the house and and bleed 'em down when I get offroad.
  10. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes I run a motion pro lite rim lock and a Bridgestone ultra heavy duty tube. No tire spin, no balance issues and no flats. I like low tire pressures for where I ride.
  11. KansasBob

KansasBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Enduro Star Trail Stand!. Steve's business is a cottage business, and everything is completely Made In America!
    I have one for both of my Dual Sports. :thumb

12. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    i know he's good, just looking for any sort of comparison. the local guy (who deals racetech stuff) is very, very good, he did my ktm 200 and it's perfect.

just seeing what's out there!
  13. yaw

yaw lost

Oddometer:
    I've run 606's for about 14,000 miles. I've had the usual scalloping problems on the front. Usually reverse it eventually. This last front tire wore strangely. It didn't scallop. Instead the middle single knob has about 1/4" left on it. The two knobs between every single knob wore down to nothing. When I roll along under 10mph the bike feels like a pogo stick. I run the front about 18psi on the hwy and 15psi on the dirt. I have balanced the tire. Anyone else had this wear problem? Should I go back to the merchant or is that a lost cause? Thanks.
  14. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    A buddy had one one a KLR do the same thing end of last season.
  15. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    I had a WR250 rear shock rebuilt by WER Suspension in NJ. They did a terrific job and it ran me $200. Highly recommended.

:thumb

16. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha! I was just about to type the same thing.
    Manufacturer recommends 25 psi on these bikes for street use. Anything less and you'll get some funny wear.
    We run full MX tires and 25 psi on the street makes a world of difference on how they wear. They don't last any longer but wear more evenly. The lugs stay more square.
  17. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jon - After about 4k miles on my WRR I mounted a Michelin T63 120/18 on the back and left the OEM front because it seemed to have plenty of knobs. The bike was in Arizona and I was trying to scout a section of the Great Western Trail called Camp Creek Wash. It is 13 miles of natural desert drainage between Carefree and Rio Verde. My goal was to see if it was big bike friendly and record a track log to share.

I tried twice riding the wash from the Bartlett Dam Road, but it was a struggle so I turned around after a couple miles. Then I rode around and attacked it from the other end. No better luck. The sand was deep and bermed up from the quads. The bike just wouldn't steer in it.

I thought about it for a day and mounted up my new T63 in the front and went back to try again. It took me about 30 minutes to go end to end, with no drama at all! What a difference a tire makes!

The next day I had a friend lead me down something called Turkey Creek. Sheesh!!! 9 water crossings and nuthin but rocks. Kicked my ass, but got through.

Not sure how the T63's are in the mud yet. I have another dual sport with new MT21's on it. I can say those things are really good in the mud.

The OEM tires just don't cut it in comparison. Also, the T63's are pretty soft so they are easy to mount by hand.

18. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:

All my DOT knob front tires have worn like you describe. I usually run high pressures on the highway. 35lbs or more depending on how for to the next tire change.
  19. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Pantah. My wife has T63s front and rear. I haven't tried them yet. The rear looks good, but the knobs on the T63 front seem awfully wide and not at all tall. I prefer a more aggressive front than rear, hence the thinking to use MT21 or Scorpion Pro front. We have lots of sand here, in which I am still not comfortable.
  20. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    Jon the wr does well in the sand. Just go faster and weight the back tire. You riding in the Ganny? If so my choice for tires would be the scorpion pro for front and trackmaster for the rear. The trackmaster is like a paddle tire in the sand and really gets you moving.