Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. scoprire

scoprire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I realize that this really isn't the right place to post this, but I figured I've gotten so much info from this thread.... yeah, the one that convinced me to get my WR...... that I'd give you all 1st chance at this before it hits the classifieds.

I have access to a few toys, so I get playing around w/ ideas even if I don't really need the end result. So...... These keychains are all leather engraved and cut on a laser engraver. #1 -3 have a titanium tube where the ring goes thru to make it last longer. #1 is the natural finish, #2 has been dyed, #3-4 are factory dyed. #1 is Yamaha logo on both sides. #2 is world map on one, Yamaha on the other. #3-4 are the same except for the tube reinforcing the ring; they are the world map w/ an ADV.

Anyone wants one, send me $5 for shipping and I'll send it to you USPS priority mail. Just send me PM w/ which one you want, and I'll send you paypal info. If someone actually likes them and they are all taken, I'll take the pic down, so if the pic is displayed, at least one is still available. Lets play nice and stick to one per person.

My way of giving back to the thread.

Looks like #1 and #2 are spoken for.

[​IMG]
  2. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    unique and cool, I'll take 1 and 2...
  3. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Of course you do... PM sent regardless.
  4. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    ...hey...I'm gifting...or is it re-gifting...:norton
  5. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're breaking the rules :D
  6. scoprire

Oddometer:
    Yeah I know. He said he was going to give one to a friend,and I was feeling generous. :D
  7. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    ...sorry, didn't realize scopy only had one of each. But thanks anyhow.
    mikeysduck will be happy with one. :norton
  8. scoprire

Oddometer:
    OK, so maybe I should explain a little. I'm working a little side job that has a laser engraver. I can't ever seem to just test material and settings by making a square. So.... I get ideas for something and if it comes out right, at least I can use the end result.

So the keychains were the result of some testing w/ materials and settings on the engraver. When I posted this, the 4 were all I had; I should have made that more clear. But...... I had to do some real work on the engraver today, so while I was there I cut another of the #2 style. I've already PMd Skierd in case he still wants it.

I have no intention of trying to make any $$ selling these things. This was just that I had a couple that came out decent, I wasn't going to use them and thought someone else might like them. I'm not about to get into a pissing match w/ anyone because I'm selling stuff w/ their logo.

So far, all I've used has been scrap leather from the local Tandy, so it's been cheap. The rest of the stuff (ie rings, dye, glue) were leftovers from other projects. If I had to start buying all the bits it would end up costing more than most people would want to spend on a keychain. The $5 I asked for these was just to cover the USPS shipping cost

With all that said...... I can really make these things any time I want. The designs were something that I thought might look good. Anyone has an idea for one, let me know. All I have to do is make up a drawing and get some material. That also means that they can be personalized.

If someone wants something specific, PM me and we can discuss it. But I really have no plans to make this an ongoing thing.

Now if you want to see some cool ideas.... do a search for LED edge lighting. Or here is one I did. The original pic was taken by my mother when she lived in OH. It's engraved into 3/8 acrylic and lit w/ 3 LEDS. Seeing as the pic was taken in OH, I thought it fitting that the base is made from buckeye. http://phardy.indbelt.com/gallery3/index.php/Projects/owl
  9. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a new-to-me 2008 WR250R with some nice mods already. I really like almost everything about it, but I would definitely like a front brake that is more of a one finger KTM powerful front brake. I thought about trying some better pads before opting for a larger rotor setup. The pads from AP brakes seem to do the job on a DRZ, but their website doesn't show any for the WR-R. Any suggestions?
  10. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    I replaced my fronts with a set of KBC Sintered I think they were called...now, I think changing a washer makes the bike feel awesome--but I felt a lot more grab...could just be me--
  11. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Part of why I bought an X :nod
  12. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
    Added a some aux. power plugs.

[​IMG]

Cheap water restant plug from auto parts store. Bracket made from a chunk of flooring trim. Washers will be replaced with stainless ones of proper size. Wired into my battery tender circuit, that is fused at the battery.

Also added a short chunk of conduit to the silencer. So hopefully my cheap Wally World dry bag don't melt. :lol3
  13. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    I remapped the FMF Fuel Programmer Friday night and took the WR"290"R for a local ~200 mile spin yesterday.....

[​IMG]

I should've checked on the programer settings when I got it back from the shop after installing the Athena kit.....looks lke they fiddled with the settings.......and punted.......they made no sense.......

I set it to the Dobeck/FMF guidelines for 290cc with exhaust and airbox modification:

Green 5, Yellow 4, Red 4, Green/Blue 0.5, Yellow/Blue 3, Red/Blue 4.

It ran much stronger than it did after the first "290" ride two weeks earlier......that said, I'm still concerned that I may be a bit lean on fuel delivery after talking to Dobeck Performance (they make the fuel programmer for FMF).....the older programmers like mine are not set up with the range to handle the 290 kit but the newer models do have the capacity (the settings above are for FMF programmers built after Sept 2010)......so I'm sending my fuel programmer to Montana (Dobeck) when I return from the Flying Monkey Rally in Utah ( http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766096 ) .......they'll update the firmware which will allow the programmer to squirt a tad more fuel....I had planned on sending it to Montana tomorrow but I don't want to run the risk of not having it returned by Wed......I was was told it'll work fine short term......it's just not "optimum" without the new firmware....

Many thanks to MtnTrals for flagging the issue in a PM and putting me in touch with Dobeck - Thanks again Jim
  14. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered 2 myself! :clap
  15. noahdr

noahdr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought the DRC Edge 2 tail light kit and had a question for those of you that have wired it before. What did you do with the license plate light harness wires? Did you leave the connector empty or splice it into the Edge 2 light with the built in license plate light?

Thanks for the help.
  16. Crooked Creek

Crooked Creek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this topic is so two-days-ago, but FWIW, I've ran nothing but regular in my (stock) bike for the last 10 000km under pretty much every condition with no issues at all.

[​IMG]
  17. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    Is anyone using a quick oil drain valve on this bike?
  18. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1ooGJ2NYoz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    rocking the Whitesnake. that's like a bad dream from the 80s :D
    cool riding area to play in.
  20. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... looks familiar...just yesterday...

[​IMG]

Note: Dobeck told me to bump up #4 to 8.
    Current settings 3/4.5/2/8/5/4.5

stock pipe w/upper plug removed
    EXUP/all smog/flapper removed
    FMF programmer of course
    K&N filter. drill airbox door.

Sounds like your fuel is way lean on the last three settings...