Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the idea but for me traveling on a small bike it would be one more thing to carry....it does look like its well made though.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You don't "carry" them with you. It is a handle that is installed on the axle and left there. I know why they are handy but I don't see the need on my bike, if I get a flat, it is time to take my time and fix it. Saving 15 seconds on pulling the axle is not going to make much of a difference.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got some photos to start us salivating?? I've heard about the area but have never ridden there...

Thanks!
  4. Magile

Magile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I changed the front tire yesterday (at home). No problem removing the front axle nut and tapping the axle until it's flus with the fork leg using a plastic mallet. When I tried to remove it from the opposite side, I had difficulty pulling the greasy, round end. I ended up tapping the threaded end with a brass drift.

Like Tewster2, I don't want to carry anything extra (brass drift) when travelling away from home. I've used Axle Pulls on dirt bikes, they work well. Just curious if anyone has them on their WRR. - M

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Mr_McBride likes this.
  5. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    Scroll down a bit on this thread....read about my experience in Omaha, AR.......:thumbup:thumbup
  6. acard13

acard13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why not combine a WR meet up with the SLAP rally? It has a similar time and location. Link to the thread below.
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1115760/

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Mr_McBride likes this.
  7. Circus Bear

Circus Bear FKA oldsteed Supporter

Oddometer:
    I replaced stock sprockets with 14/50 yesterday and the 112 was perfect. Also installed the ebay shorty levers. Pulling the front wheel off the ground shifting into 2nd. I like it....
  8. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks to all your post on sprockets, i have made my mind for my style of ridding. I am not so sure about the new chain lenght to match my 13/48 combo.
    Thanks
  9. XTWalt

XTWalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I purchased a 2016 WR yesterday. First thing that I need to do is figure out how to raise the bars and or lower the pegs. I'm 6'1" w/ long legs, and I have to bend over to reach the bars when standing. Are there any tricks on this bike to make standing more comfortable?

Thanks
  10. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get either the 15mm or 30mm bar risers and Fastway foot pegs. Worked good for me.
  11. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the 2" (1-7/8"?) Rox Risers, they have a huge range of adjustment (forward being most important, they don't push the bars back into my lap). I'm 5' 9".

[​IMG]
  12. wwguy

wwguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a good online tool for calculating effects of gearing and chain changes to your bike: http://www.gearingcommander.com/

• Reusing your stock 108 link chain with the new larger diameter rear sprocket will move your rear wheel about 0.85" forward.
    • Installing a new 110 link chain with the new rear sprocket should only move the rear tire forward by 0.22" compared to stock.
    • Using a 112 link chain should move the rear tire back 0.41" compared to stock.

Before deciding you'll need to compare the changes to where the rear axle is now. You might also want to consider whether you'll be likely to make further changes later, such as temporarily swapping the front sprocket for 14 tooth for long road trip etc.

Some folks don't like to think about all this math before ordering a new chain, so they just order a 120 link chain and cut it down to whatever size they need.
  13. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :deal

Do not size by counting links. :thwak Put the sprockets and wheel on the bike, wrap the chain, carefully mark, then cut to size. :nod
  14. wwguy

wwguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the WRR club. I'm 6'2 and I spend as much time (if not more) standing on the pegs as sitting on the seat. I feel your pain.

I initially found some cheap, easy, and fast relief with these 30 mm Tusk risers for $25 or so. They didn't require any modifications or replacement of controls wiring or cables:
    [​IMG]

I used the Tusk riser setup for a few of months before deciding I also wanted taller and wider handlebars, along with room for a steering stabilizer underneath them. That combination required me to extend my wiring by 3" and purchase longer clutch and throttle cables. It was a pain to install, but the finished fit is excellent for me.

Like Tewster, I also found some extra room by installing Fastway Evo footpegs in the "lowboy" position. These peg also provide an added bonus of a larger and more stable platform to stand on for extended periods. Here's a comparison of the Fastway pegs with stock WRR pegs. The bushing shown in the Fastway peg indicates how much lower and farther rearward these pegs mount. The bushing can also be inverted to reverse the effect for shorter riders etc.
    [​IMG]

I have the Tusk risers back in original packaging with instructions if you're interested in buying them from me. They're in great shape, as shown in the photo above. $15 + shipping. Send me a PM if interested.
    Mr_McBride likes this.
  15. wwguy

wwguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got no problem with that, if that's how you roll. But the Gearing Commander calculator worked great for me when I went from stock to 13/51. I just ordered the length I needed and installed it.
  16. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^ :freaky
    wwguy likes this.
  17. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    actually, I was thinking of combining it with the Hillbilly Dual Sport ride the first weekend in April. It's based out of "The Hub" motel in Marble Falls, which is good for those of us who don't camp and more importantly, there is no registration fee.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/hillbilly-dual-sport-tour-2016.1118089/#post-28492394
  18. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found the standing position really awkward with that bar height, i order a 2" riser that you can also rotate to the front, but i ran out of cables when turning right and left. Back it goes, next on order are the rox riser 1 1/4 and forward off set. I am 5'11" and i love my fast way pegs are great in the lower position comfi for the feet for long days
  19. XTWalt

XTWalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks for the quick response everyone. As a quick test, I have some 45mm risers (similar to the Tusks in the above picture). These are not bad, but they also need to go forward some, like the Rox. Plus, at 45mm they are pulling on the throttle cables, so that is too much. Maybe 30mm and some forward movement would be OK on the cables. I really hate to replace the cables.

Question on the lowboy position - does the rear brake lever become difficult to operate? With stock pegs, the brake is just about level with the peg.
  20. wwguy

wwguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can gain some slack in the throttle cables by mounting the throttle control housing upside-down. This puts the cables under the housing, rather than above it. To make that work long-term you'll also have to drill a new index hole in the bars 180 degrees from the current one, or grind the index tab off of the throttle control housing.

The rear brake pedal position is adjustable. The factory service manual specifies that the top of the brake pedal should be adjusted to 11.5 mm (0.45") below the top of the footpeg.