Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered the Hippy Joe tail tidy thingie.
    Reading several of your posts gave me pause for a bit, then I recalled that none of my dirt bikes had anything like that on them. Rode & raced in lots of muddy races and don’t recall a real problem.
    But I may have a higher dirt tolerance than most.
  2. NickBee

NickBee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do you guys (gals) do for oil change amounts. The 1st time I changed my oil (with filter) I used 1400 CCs as states in the manual (1.4L). The sight window was completely full of oil.

Changed the oil yesterday and tried 1200 CCs and the level is right at the upper line in the sight window.

Or should I not bother measuring and just using the sight glass?
  3. max384

max384 Bandaided

Oddometer:
    Did you run the engine for a bit after adding the oil, and then recheck the sight glass? If you add the oil and just check right away, it will appear high. After running the engine and getting the oil circulated through the system, the level will drop.

I never measure mine. I add a quart, run the engine for a few seconds, then just add until it's where it needs to be in the sight glass. Never had any problems doing it this way.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  4. wwguy

wwguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha ha, thanks! I definitely don't baby the bike or obsess over cleaning it. But I do usually quickly wash it in the driveway after riding. I just use some spray-on bike wash and then rinse with a garden hose before I put it away. It takes more time and effort to roll out the hose and put it away after than it does to actually rinse the bike.
  5. NickBee

NickBee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup. Even rode the bike around the block before checking the level.
  6. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails

Oddometer:
    When I ride my dirtbike, I go home after and throw my gear in the washing machine. My back gets pretty covered on that, the open pockets on my camelback usually have clumps of mud in them.

When I ride my WRR, I am usually traveling and camping. My tolerance for getting completely covered in mud is lower. Everyone uses this bike for different things so your results may vary.
  7. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails

Oddometer:
    I think I am usually around 1300ml. I just fill till I am near the top of the sight glass.
  8. coresports

coresports DS4Life

Oddometer:
    That's how I do it. .after the new filter is installed i put 1qt of oil in, start the bike briefly then slowly add oil with the bike on level ground until it's near the middle of the sight glass

9. coresports

coresports DS4Life

Oddometer:
    I just swapped c/s sprocket and i can tell you the nut is 17mm that goes on it.

10. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://mdmetric.com/tech/M-thead 600.htm

The ID (minor diameter) of a M18x1mm nut is close to 17mm...
    Plebeian likes this.
  11. bing

bing WR250R

Oddometer:
    I've got Mosko Moto 80 Reckless bags but in a quest to drop my luggage weight right down I discovered the outer shell for the 80 weighs 5kgs itself. I'll keep them for bigger (450 and up bikes) and I'm now using Wolfman Expedition dry bags. Suit the WR perfectly.

Attached Files:

greg.279 likes this.
  12. coresports

coresports DS4Life

Oddometer:
    GOPR1169_1536927215818_high.JPG Sept_14th_enhanced.JPG
    nice late summer ride a couple days back...decent elevation changes (atleast by MI standards) and terrain variety...as usual my now 10yr old wrr got me out & back solo without issue...
    Migyver and Bitingdog like this.
  13. Blakduk

Blakduk Just trying to get by.

Oddometer:
    I ordered the B&B one. It is cheap, ver solid, perfect and looks better than the photos https://bboffroad.com.au/number-plate-holder-yamaha-wr250r.html

Attached Files:

Migyver and DirtyOldMan like this.
  14. Kempy

Kempy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sold those and bought the reckless 40 same amount of gear just more rigidly mounted and no frames, the wolfman bags are good though.
  15. max384

max384 Bandaided

Oddometer:
    The beauty of the Mosko Moto R80s is that they're a rackless design. Any weight savings for going to a lighter bag is negated by using metal luggage racks with them.
  16. bing

bing WR250R

Oddometer:
    That's true for a lot of bikes but the WR has limited places to tie the bag to and keep it rigid. The R80 still needs something behind it on the WR.
  17. max384

max384 Bandaided

Oddometer:
    It works for me on my WR.
  18. SonoraDave

SonoraDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hi guys I just purchased a 2015 WR250R for my son @waterpolomoto. He is 15 ½ and his previous bike was a TTR 125. I’m looking for some advice on how to economically fix the exhaust system since the previous owner removed the stock spark arrestor and I need one in place for riding in the forest. I don’t really care for the amount of noise right now since it has a hollow tinny sound. The motor and intake are stock other than the smog equipment is missing. I would prefer to leave the motor stock for now. I was shocked at the cost for a stock replacement of the spark arrestor, $160.00 at bike bandits. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket replacement for the stock spark arrestor? If I decided to change the exhaust, can a slipon be used with the stock header? I see several people using the FMF Q4 and I am curious if the sound is quieter than the stock can without the spark arrestor. I’d like to avoid a full exhaust and header at this time to keep costs down. If anyone has a stock can or just the spark arrestor laying around I’d be interested in buying it.

One more question. I want to add a second Ram ball to the front brake perch socket for another Double Take mirror. Does anyone know the size of the threads or have a Ram part number for the right mirror. I figured out it is reverse threads but need the size and pitch.

Thanks
    Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Migyver likes this.
  19. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    That's a nice gift for your son!
    I think your best bet is to look for a good used exhaust take off. They are definitely out there. All the "emissions crap" as people call it, keeps the bike smelling clean and running well. (You're probably going to be riding behind him soon!)
    For the right side Ram mount, you can get an adapter to fit between the ball and the brake perch, or get the Ram mount piece that replaces the front half of the handlebar mount. I went this route myself.
    Part no. RAM-B-309-7U
  20. raptortrail

raptortrail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Several systems on Ebay
    SonoraDave likes this.