Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    ?
    That's a joke. I would replace a piston every long weekend backroad tour I take.
    Why would anyone buy that for a WRR and why so low? They can't make a piston any better to last longer?
    max384 likes this.
  2. Star_Platinum

Star_Platinum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the best tank upgrade once I get my wr250r? Anything else I should know about upgrading gas tanks?
  3. KevinMTB

KevinMTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There has been a lot of talk about the Athena big bore kit and how it will reduce the reliability of the WR which I'm sure it does. However, it might not be as extreme as some say. I believe that it was Crawdaddy who asked me about mine and installed one on his bike and had issues at low miles. I put one on my bike because I didn't like that when I twisted the throttle I had to wait for the engine to slowly build up speed. My buddy left his stock and it was terrible to ride, however, we both realized that by changing the gearing to 13-50 it made the bike much more fun to ride in stock form. It's interesting that I put on a Power Commander and Auto Tune with my big bore but took it off when I was having an issue with my bike, it turned out the issue was with an aux LED light that I had installed that had developed a short. I never did put the PC back on and have had no issues since, seems strange but my buddy and I both have a temp gauge on our bikes and my bike usually runs cooler so I figured it can't be too lean. Anyway, I have just over 20,000 miles since I put the Athena on (I put it on with just over 1,300 miles on the bike) and the only issue I had was I thought it started burning oil so I changed the rings only, some time ago. You might be taking a chance by putting on a big bore kit but it worked out so far with me, besides, I still have the original cylinder and piston that I can throw back on if I want.
  4. max384

max384 Bandaided Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the best things about the WRR is it's reliability and long service intervals. Ruining that for the sake of a few extra horsepower is dumb IMO.
    PlowHand and Plebeian like this.
  5. ridepjride

ridepjride Migrant

Oddometer:
    I’ve bought several tanks from justgastanks. Lots of info on their website.
    Size depends on your range requirements, 3 to 4.7 gallons.
  6. slomo

slomo Labels Defying

Oddometer:
    So I figured out how to mount the pegs and springs on the Evo4 pegs, but the springs supplied must not be the right ones since they look nothing like @wwguys’ pegs and the part that hooks onto the peg falls into the step of the peg after a few rotations of the footpeg up and down.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Gonna call the dealer and maybe PMB to figure out if maybe I was supplied the wrong springs.

I like the pegs, the fitment on my WRR just isnt the best.
  7. Stebbo

Stebbo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I'm going to order in the next couple days. Nobody else sees any issues with those tyre sizes?
  8. IanInCalgary

IanInCalgary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd avoid tires that are more than one step lower in load capacity. The front tire is three steps lower..

If you get the small tire you'll need to run higher pressure, and you'll be more at risk of pinch flats. One of my riding partners used a small front tire and had problems . Two pinch flats and one overheat failure when his pressure was too low.

I use 90/90 front tires.

Ian
  9. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same thought process..I have stock parts to put back. Im going to assume if piston starts to wear, it will be rings and bike will start using oil. Then I'll do a ring change. I am mechanically competent. I don't pile miles on my bike as all my riding is off road trails so if in 5 years or so I need change a piston, I'm ok with that. With not having ridden a stock bike. I sure love the way this bike performs with the kit. I came from riding a drz 400 for 18 years and still have it for a spare bike.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  10. PMBFastway

PMBFastway n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Slomo,
    It appears that you are trying to install the incorrect footpegs on your WR. Those pegs are actually designed to fit CRF'S and Kawi's. If you purchased them directly from us, please give us a call at 208-466-4762 and we'll get you taken care of. Otherwise you'll need to contact whom you purchased them from as they have provided you with the incorrect parts.
    Dirtleg, Bitingdog, mf13368 and 10 others like this.
  11. Adanac rider

Adanac rider HMMMM Gravel or Pavement today Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that what I call " SERVICE " !
  12. FNC

FNC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IIRC - I have the Evolution 3's on my wrr ... there is a stop nub on the E3's that limit the folding up of the pegs but I ground it down (somewhat) for more folding - you can decide when you install - mine are in the lowered and back position (both only is the choice) (vs normal location), my guess is 7/16" lowered and 7/16" back - just a guess

Mine work and feel great
    Bitingdog likes this.
  13. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bikebiz have the 90/90-21 listed at the same price, is there a reason you cant get that?
  14. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love my blueberry aswell. Was out of country and a trip with a few other guys. I recently purchased a wr450f, but took the wr250r for this one. At the end of the last day people swapped bikes, and I offered them to try mine. Only then did they realize it was the 250.
    So it can hold its own.

I recently bought an Ims 3gallon. I like that it has a a stock-ish look, and doesnt feel much wider than stock. Would love half a gallon more, but the bigger ones are too big for my use.
    Bitingdog, PlowHand and Bugchewer like this.
  15. Stebbo

Stebbo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That one has "TL" after it which from what I can see means tubeless? No good with tubed tyres?
  16. Stebbo

Stebbo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm doing mostly road riding to work is this going to be much of an issue? Or more for off-road work?

Can't see much else on that site unless anyone else can help out a noob? Just click dual sport tyres.

https://www.bikebiz.com.au/pirelli-scorpion-mt90-at-front
  17. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 99% sure there's no issues using a tube with a TL tyre ...

Edit: Yep, all good... I'd be going for the 90/90-21 if you go with the MT90
    https://www.pirelli.com/minisite/pi...15/files/assets/common/downloads/page0228.pdf
    If a tube is inserted, it is then possible to fit a tubeless tyre to a tubetype rim.
  18. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Morning gents, just with the footpeg discussion, I fitted my pivot pegs from my KTM 690 (just sold) to the WR, needed to file about 0.3mm off the bottom to fit in perfectly, pins size and everything works out mint. The Pivot pegs site say they won't fit but they do, just some useless info...as you were. P1010002.JPG P1010003.JPG
  19. slomo

slomo Labels Defying

Oddometer:
    You guys are awesome.
    I actually called your regular customer service# today, not knowing you had replied to this thread, and they asked if I was the guy who posted this .

Anyway, the dealer is gonna get the right parts shipped to me.

(FYI for others, part# should be:22-5-003, i was sent 22-5-004).
    Bitingdog, PMBFastway and Yinzer Moto like this.
  20. max384

max384 Bandaided Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is anyone using a fuse block for their bike? I bought a six fuse block, but can't find a place to put it. There just doesn't seem to be room. Can anyone show me where they're putting theirs?