Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. V2Neal

V2Neal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ Didn't want to plate a dirtbike because of the service intervals, but bought a bike with dirtbike service intervals ...
    chloe.gif
  2. max384

max384 Bandaided

Oddometer:
    I put a mesh "fly and ride type" seat cover on my WRR yesterday. It's actually a Jisoncase, which is just one of the myriad of different Chinese companies making it. I would have bought the Fly and Ride, but their shipping was about 2-3 weeks on Ebay. This one was on Amazon prime and half the cost. Hard to beat that, especially since I wanted to have it before I left on a WV/VA trip next week. Here's the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CXSN5JD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a size large. I have a Sargent seat, and the large fits great, but once it's pulled tight, there's not much room for further adjustment. If you have the stock seat, go with a medium. Their sizing charts are the same as the Fly and Ride, so I'd assume all the companies making them are just clones of each other.

First impression is very good. I've only got about 50 miles on it so far, so it's too early to tell. I'll report back the week after next once I have a couple thousand miles on it after the trip.

[​IMG]
  3. ridepjride

ridepjride Migrant

Oddometer:
    Andi, it is the 120 width. I’m away from the bike till next week so can’t provide actual measurements at this time.
  4. barnsy

barnsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is this completely dry because that's great fuel economy
  5. barnsy

barnsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. ridepjride

ridepjride Migrant

Oddometer:
    It is a Montana 610, sorry.
  7. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:

Size medium works great on a stock seat. I have been running one for about an year. Search mesh seat cover on eBay and they are about $5 with shipping (the pics will show a scooter seat). The shipping time is a couple weeks.
    Bitingdog and max384 like this.
  8. max384

max384 Bandaided

Oddometer:
    How has it been holding up after a year of use?
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  9. max384

max384 Bandaided

Oddometer:
    That rear tire is a K60 front, right? How do you like it on the WR? How's offroad traction? What sort of mileage are you getting? I've been running the IRC TR-8s, and it's a great tire, but they only last 1500-2000 miles. I use my bike as a commuter as well as a weekend toy, so I burn through tires. I've been thinking about getting a longer-lasting tire, but I want to still be able to play in the dirt.

Also, how hard is it to break the bead? A lot of tubeless tires can be quite difficult, which is problematic on the trail when you need to repair a tube.
  10. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is like new. I did not put a ton of miles on it this year. Maybe 8000. Pine needles get stuck in it but don’t poke me though the pants. The air space is nice and keep me more comfortable.
    Bitingdog and max384 like this.
  11. max384

max384 Bandaided

Oddometer:
    I was just noticing the pine needle thing today. My commute to work includes about a mile of trails, and when I got to the office this morning, there were a ton of little needles in the seat that were a pain to pick out. I guess that's just the nature of the beast though.
    Bitingdog and Yinzer Moto like this.
  12. speedtrials

speedtrials Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bitingdog and inroads like this.
  13. ridepjride

ridepjride Migrant

Oddometer:
    First one on the WR, but am expecting at least 7k based on having used them on other bikes.
    Bead is not as easy as others to break, fairly stiff sidewalls.
    max384 likes this.
  14. 350Rizzer

350Rizzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The K60 comes in the stock size for the WRR 120/80-18 but they have been on back order for a while. I like my D606 but would like something that lasts more then 3K miles.
  15. greenboy 667

greenboy 667 Keep your bloatocycle - I want a PR7!

Oddometer:
    My Sit&Fly has been on the WR for 3.5 years, was on my XT225 for a year+ before that. Still looks good. Used zip ties under the seat pan.

I probably would like the new Honda CRF450L spec a lot better if it had something like WR250R service intervals – and a larger stock tank. With its fuel economy I'd make it to and from my favorite riding area, and have no fuel left to actually ride there ; }

I like the Mitas E-07 rear (in conjunction with Tubliss, running at 15-16psi on pavement) better than the Heidenau K60 for traction in most conditions on and off pavement. Got over 11,000 on the tire and the tread is just getting down to the center strip. Could get more out of it if I didn't dislike the handling of riding that center strip. Even though they advertise the newer E-07+ (PLUS) as designed for larger heavier ADVs, I might try it out next. Either is a heavy tire, but the E-07 really had longevity and they really do work well as a 50/50 that can air way down and ride well (again, with Tubliss). The PLUS looks like it has a more open pattern and no center strip, so maybe it won't last quite as long but it could have better off-pavement traction without airing down as much.

I'd consider myself a 50/50 rider since I ride highway miles to get to where I like to ride.
  16. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob

Oddometer:
    In my case i would be interested in the CRF450L in a year or so. Where I live it is difficult to plate most Japanese Off Road bikes especially where the MSO states for Off Road Use Only. In some cases I know guys who bought a plated bike outside of the State and got a tag for the bike only to have the Tag office send them a letter a couple of years later to turn in their tag because their bike was not 'Street Legal'. A lot of this stems from emission requirements in the Greater Atlanta area - sort of like a Mini Kalifornia in that regard.

So the idea of buying a "Street Legal" Japanese Dirtbike is quite appealing to me and offers me an additional choice over Orange and Red.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  17. max384

max384 Bandaided

Oddometer:
    I was ready to be all in on the new Honda 450 once larger aftermarket tanks came out... But not with those service intervals.
    JDakota and greenboy 667 like this.
  18. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not quite a WR450R. But, they got close.....

More expensive, but better suspenders. More power, but dirt-bike-like maintenance.
    Adanac rider, max384 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  19. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    No, I have never rolled into a gas station with more than 330 indicated km's on a tank, which is an actual GPS 297km's on my bike. Based on how much it took to refill the tank, I had enough gas for another 25-30 or so km's.
    I don't make a habit of running the bike dry, nor would I if I didn't have a spare liter of fuel with me. I was trying to make it home from my buddy's cabin without stopping.
    I average about 62MPG if I am loafing, which makes 182 miles from 3 gallons (11.34 liters), with about 1 liter left in the tank which would be good for 16 more miles.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  20. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just purchased an IMS 3 gallon tank, filled it up with gas from a 1ltr bottle, drove 500 meters and filled the tank with 10,5 ltrs, so im getting 11,5ltrs total filled to the brim. Wouldnt mind the slight increase to +12liters, I guess it'll expand a bit over time.