Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. rycomm

rycomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a reference page somewhere that gives recommend fuel settings for the programmer based on intake/exhaust and location? When I bought my WRR it had full FMF exhaust and airbox mods. It came with all the stock parts. I liked it quieter with the OEM exhaust. I sold the fmf exhaust, but the fi programmer, ais bypass and modified airbox are still on the bike. It seems to me the fi programmer should be adjusted to retune it to milder setup. I want the balance of long term reliability and economy, while preserving as much performance.
    Proud Highway likes this.
  2. Border411

Border411 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well...maybe that info will help me convince my wife to let me get my license. She has been very understanding with my bike buying/selling, and dont want to press my luck. I am buying a DS just for future potential, as I only plan to ride trails right now anyways (not to mention the better resale in the future if/when I decide to get rid of it). I have a really nice XR250 (essentially completely new except the tank, engine cases, frame, and bolts) that i will be selling. Literally everything else is either brand new or in "like new" condition. The kick start hurts the hip, so it has to go.
  3. slomo

slomo Labels Defying

Oddometer:
    F064D8F6-ECA7-43A7-B4B5-2EC93E2322DA.jpeg DA1FF582-68AD-4CEA-A195-9003C16BA29A.jpeg Anyone installed Fastway Evo4 footpegs on their WR250R?
    I just got a set, and the “Kamber” adjustment bolt that alters the camber of the footpeg appears to be interfering with the bolt that mounts the footpeg brackets to the frame:
    (See photo). It seems best to leave that bolt out, or maybe replace the bolts with a shorter head - anyone encountered this problem?
  4. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    From what I have seen a lot of the issues with some of these kits have to do more with the installation than the kit itself. That being said I know of a couple of guys that had issues with cylinder base gaskets leaking and went through a few before finding something that worked.

That being said I probably would not go that route myself since all of the bike's systems (cooling and transmission come to mind) have been designed and tested around it's stock configuration. Then again that is me.

I say if the setup works for you then just go out and enjoy the ride and don't worry about other peoples opinions. :photog
    max384 likes this.
  5. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may just want to try and pulling the programmer and see how it runs.

I have ran my WRR with a modified airbox and a cat delete stock pipe for many many miles. There is some throttle hesitation when cold but is gone once the bike is warmed up. Plus I get better fuel economy without the programmer so they extra potential performance was not justified in my mind.

I am currently running a FMF Q4 Hex with out a programmer and the bike runs fine as well. That being said my riding buddy has a similarly setup WRR with a FMF Q4 and he cannot get his bike to run as well without the programmer so there could be differences from bike to bike.
  6. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About 47k km with a leovince exhaust and no programmer or whatnot.. so far so good.
  7. wwguy

wwguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The communication from Athena below was posted today by a WRR rider over in the WR250X & WR250R Facebook group. He got a mere 5000 miles out his Athena kit before he starting experiencing leaking gaskets. 25 hours is ridiculously short life span for a piston, especially applied to a dual-sport bike. (Even my Beta 300 two-stroke can easily go 150+ hours between piston changes.)

[​IMG]
    Bitingdog and FLICKIT like this.
  8. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have the official name of that Facebook group? I'm having trouble finding it..I agree 15-25 hours is insane.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  9. wwguy

wwguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've run two sets of Evolution Air pegs on my WRR and another set of the same on my Beta 200 2T dirt bike. I'm currently running a set of the new Evolution 4 pegs on my Beta and they appear to have the same mounting footprint as the billet Evolution Air pegs.

With all that said I haven't experienced the issues in your photos. But I have mine mounted in the lowboy position and it appears yours are in the standard position. Looking at my photo below I can see how mine would probably do the same if in the standard higher position. (Not sure why they call it "lowboy" and "standard", because it's really "high" or "low".)

Any chance you can mount yours in lowboy position without compromising comfort and ergonomics?

[​IMG]
  10. wwguy

wwguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    Looks great!
    I like to have my axle tucked up as far as possible under the bike. Does it make a noticeable difference in the handling? IDK, but IMHO, it looks better.
    The only reason for keeping your chain long is that it will allow you to go to a 51 or 52t if you desire later on. It took me about 6 years, but I finally settled on 14/51 for most stuff, and switch to 13/51 when I need to.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  12. slomo

slomo Labels Defying

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply, I am actually trying to mount it in the low boy position ( but the springs are in the wrong position in my photo), any tips on compressing the spring during installation? I am going to look and try again tonight
  13. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    The installation instructions say much the same:
    "Service piston limit: we suggest replacing the piston after 15 running hours."
    http://www.athenaparts.com/files/pdfs/P400485100031-P400485100032.pdf

No Ironbutts for the Athena, lol
  14. RideEm50

RideEm50 n00b

Oddometer:
    I must have my EVO 3 mounted like WWGUY on my WRR. I don't have interference with the camber adjusting screw, but when the pegs pivot up there is contact with the upper mounting bolt or brake lever.
    As far as the spring is concerned I recall wishing I had another pair of hands to set the pin while I fought the spring to line things up. I did it by myself, but another person would have saved me a lot of time.
    slomo likes this.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    ?
    That's a joke. I would replace a piston every long weekend backroad tour I take.
    Why would anyone buy that for a WRR and why so low? They can't make a piston any better to last longer?
    max384 likes this.
  16. Star_Platinum

Star_Platinum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's the best tank upgrade once I get my wr250r? Anything else I should know about upgrading gas tanks?
  17. KevinMTB

KevinMTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There has been a lot of talk about the Athena big bore kit and how it will reduce the reliability of the WR which I'm sure it does. However, it might not be as extreme as some say. I believe that it was Crawdaddy who asked me about mine and installed one on his bike and had issues at low miles. I put one on my bike because I didn't like that when I twisted the throttle I had to wait for the engine to slowly build up speed. My buddy left his stock and it was terrible to ride, however, we both realized that by changing the gearing to 13-50 it made the bike much more fun to ride in stock form. It's interesting that I put on a Power Commander and Auto Tune with my big bore but took it off when I was having an issue with my bike, it turned out the issue was with an aux LED light that I had installed that had developed a short. I never did put the PC back on and have had no issues since, seems strange but my buddy and I both have a temp gauge on our bikes and my bike usually runs cooler so I figured it can't be too lean. Anyway, I have just over 20,000 miles since I put the Athena on (I put it on with just over 1,300 miles on the bike) and the only issue I had was I thought it started burning oil so I changed the rings only, some time ago. You might be taking a chance by putting on a big bore kit but it worked out so far with me, besides, I still have the original cylinder and piston that I can throw back on if I want.
  18. max384

max384 Bandaided Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the best things about the WRR is it's reliability and long service intervals. Ruining that for the sake of a few extra horsepower is dumb IMO.
    PlowHand and Plebeian like this.
  19. ridepjride

ridepjride Migrant

Oddometer:
    I’ve bought several tanks from justgastanks. Lots of info on their website.
    Size depends on your range requirements, 3 to 4.7 gallons.
  20. slomo

slomo Labels Defying

Oddometer:
    So I figured out how to mount the pegs and springs on the Evo4 pegs, but the springs supplied must not be the right ones since they look nothing like @wwguys’ pegs and the part that hooks onto the peg falls into the step of the peg after a few rotations of the footpeg up and down.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Gonna call the dealer and maybe PMB to figure out if maybe I was supplied the wrong springs.

I like the pegs, the fitment on my WRR just isnt the best.